• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diy rock sliders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shankem-Deep

They look amazing!! They the same price as the 1008? And how long to get a set?
I've promised the wife I will finish up a few things around the house before I take any orders. I will have that stuff finished up by this weekend and start taking orders next week for you guys that are interested. They will be slightly cheaper than the truck sliders. PM me for exact pricing. I think I can build 2-3 sets per week.

mudman

I've promised the wife I will finish up a few things around the house before I take any orders. I will have that stuff finished up by this weekend and start taking orders next week for you guys that are interested. They will be slightly cheaper than the truck sliders. PM me for exact pricing. I think I can build 2-3 sets per week.
Dude, you didn't know what you were getting into with this s--t!!!
Oh and you better to some stuff for the ole lady or you won't be building anything!!!

Thanks for building mine though!!!

Ken

Shankem-Deep

Dude, you didn't know what you were getting into with this s--t!!!
Oh and you better to some stuff for the ole lady or you won't be building anything!!!

Thanks for building mine though!!!

Ken
Yea, she's been pretty easy going so far, but i've put off some things with the house for too long. She told me awhile back that if I wanted to keep buying tools and toys, I was going to have to get a higher paying job or figure out how to make some extra money. Well, I figured out a way to make some extra money, I just have to keep her happy.:wink:
BTW have you put yours on yet?

mudman

No not yet...Every week end it is stormy out..I think this week end is going to be nice. I started to but then decided that I needed new cab mounts first. I will post pictures when it happens. We have nothing but wind and rain for 2 months now..Of course only on the weekends though.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, she's been pretty easy going so far, I just have to keep her happy.:wink:?
A slip of the tung works for me...!:)

Thanks for the Grab Bars, Getting the truck completed this weekend, FINALLY.

I will post the pics of your "Most Audacious Nerf Bars" installed dude, also the grab bars. Your a good man. Keep up the good work.

Shankem-Deep

A slip of the tung works for me...!:)

Thanks for the Grab Bars, Getting the truck completed this weekend, FINALLY.

I will post the pics of your "Most Audacious Nerf Bars" installed dude, also the grab bars. Your a good man. Keep up the good work.
No problem! glad you like them! I've got more stuff coming!

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally got around to painting the Grab Bars I got from Shakem-Deep.

I was impressed with the product from the start. I opened the box and I found every tool to install besides the drill. He even sent the drill bit for the expanding grommets. I painted them with flat black to match the motif of the ride.

I also tested the strength of the expanding grommets. I did 10 pull ups each side then checked them with the socket wrench and they did not move at all.
Another fine product from Shakem-Deep.

Thanks Darren..![thumbzup]

Attachments

Brush guard

so when are you going to build a better brush guard ?

hehehehehe:twisted: hint hint
Here's one I have never been able to find who made. it was originally on a USFS Tahoe. The outer perimeter is 1/2" by 1.5" flat bar, apparantly a L and R one piece bent into a half loop with rounded corners then "V'd" The main uprights were 1.5" x 1/4" wall square tubing in this case. Horizontal cross bars are 1/2" solid rod. Only thing wrong is it needs 2 more verticle's (rod) between the DRL and headlights and 2 horizontal flatbars at the mid height of the trim strip (in the headlight area on either side) as that is big enough a hole that a deer can get through it...

So I'm thinking that a "look alike" could be made for the M1008 etc the same way, 1/2" by 2" flat bar instead of 1/4" by 1.25". Essentially keep the look but way stronger. Maybe adjust the verticle bars spacing a bit so IR lamps can be mounted without obstructing the bridge plate and blackout light.

Attachments

AllenEM

Here's one I have never been able to find who made. it was originally on a USFS Tahoe. The outer perimeter is 1/2" by 1.5" flat bar, apparantly a L and R one piece bent into a half loop with rounded corners then "V'd" The main uprights were 1.5" x 1/4" wall square tubing in this case. Horizontal cross bars are 1/2" solid rod. Only thing wrong is it needs 2 more verticle's (rod) between the DRL and headlights and 2 horizontal flatbars at the mid height of the trim strip (in the headlight area on either side) as that is big enough a hole that a deer can get through it...

So I'm thinking that a "look alike" could be made for the M1008 etc the same way, 1/2" by 2" flat bar instead of 1/4" by 1.25". Essentially keep the look but way stronger. Maybe adjust the verticle bars spacing a bit so IR lamps can be mounted without obstructing the bridge plate and blackout light.
See what I started :whistle:

Shankem-Deep

I like it a lot! I have a little different style in mind but that looks tuff on that tahoe. It will be awhile yet before I start that venture. I'm still buying much needed tools for my shop. Tubing bender is my next big purchase. Got my plasma cutter up and going this weekend, it is AWESOME!!! I may run airlines through out my shop next weekend. Slowly but surely it is coming along.

998Junkie

Tubing bender is my next big purchase. Got my plasma cutter up and going this weekend, it is AWESOME!!! I may run airlines through out my shop next weekend. Slowly but surely it is coming along.
Try going with a cnc plasma table...not that the holes that are drilled were lacking.

To save the grief I waited until my birthday last week to put my set in... I did the drivers side the first night and came into the house and the wife noticed the sweat and asked what I'd been doing...said I was installing the step in the truck she had wanted([Wife rule 1028-- If they hate the truck but complain about a certain feature of it, take that as an opportunity to correct it]). She rolled her eyes like I can't wait see the POS steps you got. Next day she came to the shop and said they looked really good, she was surprised.:)

The passenger side is by far the most challenging as there are may lines running along the frame where you need to drill the holes. Took a couple of fasteners off and put a 1.5 inch spacer on the lines then wrapped tape around the bits to keep them away. The rear plate helps to drill the top two holes then make a template to get the bottom ones done. I found if you drill pilot holes and project a shop light on the back you can get them right were they need to be.

It would have been a little easier if I had put the 32 inch tires back on...:shock:

Great job S-D! Here are a couple of pictures, this weekend I'll match the pattern of the truck and take a few more.

:beer:

Attachments

True Knight

998Junkie, I am very picky when it comes to desert camo. That being said, your truck looks awesome! These rock sliders really look great on it too!

ssdvc

On your bumper project, how about incorporating a nice thick winch plate? I am sure that would sell quit a few of the bumpers. I'd be interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks