• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Prelube Info....

FreightTrain

Banned
actually,cast iron makes chips when tapping.Little balls but not twisty chips like steel.I machine all types of iron at work and when I tapped my manifolds I made little BBs(little smaller than #7 shot).Iron is actually a soft metal.

dmetalmiki

just done a friends duce...fork truck lift pump! driven by 24volt starter moter pipe to REAR of sump (at rear soldered in curved down and submerged in the oil. ((quick job removing and modifying the sump)) then pipe up to filter input housing. FILLS BOTH CANS in about 30 seconds, (whos in a rush anyway!!) (as) the oil pressure rises to 10-15 Ibls ins. or so..then hit start "instant oil pressure" My M62 is the same set up. and I find it VERY re-assuring.....I actually have a "warning light AND buzzer in the oil prime circuit. which is switched on with an identical "master switch" as the orriginal for the electrics on the deuce...TWO (LOUD)buzzes!! two switches!! get some REAL fascinated gawps at shows!! lol.. really worth it JUST FOR THAT allone!!

Flatlander

For what it's worth, my cousin had a preluber on his Ford Ranger pickup. He would turn the key on, hit the luber switch until the oil light turned off, and then start the motor. He got over 500,000 miles out of the motor. Made me a believer.

As far as "cobbling" things together goes, I get great enjoyment out of using my brain to make something out of parts or from scratch. I've read that because men can't have babies we feel the need to create things...Don't know if that's true, but I know that I spend many great evenings in my garage with a hammer and a torch in my hand!

I'm surprised someone who doesn't believe in tinkering with things would want a Deuce...Why not go buy something with a sticker on the window?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
gimpyrobb said:
Not to get too far O.T., Opcom, hows that flux-capacitor comin along? :)
Just installed 3 more of them (got them off GL also) and finished wiring them up. Here's a pic of the discharge test, sorry it was quite brilliant. If I can get the chiltzangbrone aligned correctly, I should shortly be able to move the engine oil 20 seconds into the future, so that it will be in the oil galleries and under pressure, just before starting.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I can get the chiltzangbrone aligned correctly, I should shortly be able to move the engine oil 20 seconds into the future, so that it will be in the oil galleries and under pressure, just before starting.
Dang! Why didn't I think of that. Patrick, you are brilliant!

Also, as far as the chiltzangbrone alignment goes, Read the TM! This procedure is covered in the -34! :deadhorse:

SasquatchSanta

Yesterday, I had an interesting conversation with my friendly gunsmith who also teaches diesel mechanics at a local college.This area up here in NE Minnesota is iron ore mining (Iron Range) and logging country. Both industries use a lot of heavy duty diesel equipment in the worst of weather conditions.

The subect of pre-lubers came up and my friend brought up an interesting concept. He said some of the mining equipment have pre-lub pumps mounted on the back of their starter motors. The way I understand it, the starter motor turns in one direction to engage the pre-lub pump and in the opposite direction to engage the starter. It would probably be extremely difficult for a hobbyist to engineer something like this BUT, it's a brilliant concept.

He cautioned about welding on an oil pan saying they are bad about cracking and recommended silver solder.

We also discussed the concept of drilling into an oil pan without removoing it from the block. He said they do it all the time and have done so for years. He said if you're concerned about shavings, insert a magnet through the hole after drilling to pick up any shavings. He said if you're really worried, simply flush five gallons of kerosene through the system.

I'm submitting this in hopes that idea overload will help one of the Steel Soldiers members come up with a solution (before winter) that I can buy.

Happy Tinkering :)

rdixiemiller

Hit the scrap yards and find an old 24 volt electric pallet jack. Nice little pump, already has the lines, and a check valve. I found one for $25 the other day. It would also make a nice hydraulic pump for a dump conversion.

dmetalmiki

give some thought to an electric fork lift motor and pump. does my M62 wrecker ok. thirty seconds (so whats the rush?) and I have 20lbs pressure to fire up with!"

houdel

Dmetalmiki - Do you have any specifics on the pump/motor you are using? I've done a bit of searching nut still can't find the "right" unit!

rdixiemiller

Look for the pump on either an electric forklift or pallet jack. They are usually 4 -5 gpm or so, already have a check valve installed, and tend to be durable as all get out. You will need to run as heavy a wire and solenoid as the truck charger uses, or you will quickly fry wires.

dmetalmiki

pump

thats sound advice right there..if you look in deks collection (photo gallery) you will see the mounting(of the unit) and pipe work. from sump to filter housing.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Scrap yard may be best. I went to local forklift dealer today.They have a small boneyard. They didn't have a old palletjack pump. I asked about a new one. Guy said, "maybe $1700-2000". I said "I meant just a pump". He said, "so did I". He gave me a lead but I figure a used one may command big $'s . To complicate matters there are 24V,36V and 48V pumps so finding a old jack may not slove the problem.

The accumulator is looking better. I might cobble something for now as I have all the stuff. I thought I'd weld a 3/8 or 1/4NPT collar (for a 90*flare) on side of rear filter housing. Another option would be a tee at the sender. Can anyone suggest another option/ port? JimK

alphadeltaromeo

The Amsoil oil-bypass filter system advertises filtration to a tenth of a micron...I'm going to pursue that option in the near future...I'm still not sold on pre-lube systems yet. That may change in the future. Question: do many of the big rig units use pre-lubers?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I know UPS equipped all of their Cummins delivery trucks with starter/prelubers. My friend used to work at a Cummins repair location as a mechanic, and they were on everything. It was a basically a starter with a preluber on the back side of them. I think he might have said that they stopped using them at some point though. Their trucks probably don't need them as much as the multifuel though as the new engines won't drain all the oil into the pan. It is always nice to have some oil on the bearings at start up as engine bearings were never really made for actual metal to metal contact.

A super filtration bypass filter would be nice too.

Star266

..... Can anyone suggest another option/ port? JimK
I believe there is another option if you use filter adapters that I design. I wish I know how to post the pictures.

Best regards,
George C.
Tampa,Florida

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks George. A simple 3/8 pipe-5/8 tube fitting will do. I'm going over to put a system together now - if I can get away from this ?%#!*& web site. System couldn't be much simpler to install. I expect my 3 qt accumulator to fall short so may fab a remote air reservoir to boost capacity to 3.9 qt. I have a 22 sec delay, now, before any oil pressure (after a week sitting, using only idle). I'll update this post with some new data as it becomes clear. Using the accumulator's air press gauge will be useful. I wanted to check the e-gauge and high pressure relief valve function. I found this if anyone wants info on these types of systems - see the side bar...
http://www.accusump.com/acc_products/acc_units.html

also saw two- 3qt moroso accumulators on e-bay yesterday, key words: moroso accumulator.

update- installed the accumulator in hour or so. Ran a hydraulic hose thru firewall 2" knock out above foot throttle. Accumulator sits against inside firewall, right side, above foot well. Handle and hose on its left side is within reach,or stretch, from drivers seat. Using a 15psi air charge it fills to 60psi in 3-4 sec. Running at 2000 rpm adds more oil, up to 110 psi,another 3-4 seconds. Dumping that takes maybe 10 sec. I will check if it is a pre-luber, or just a partial filter filler, in a few days, after the drain down.

Anyone know where the high press relief valve should open?? JimK

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks