• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extreme RV from M36a2

daddy2

Ok guys got a decent day to do a bit more on the outside. I was able to get the lower section insulated and covered with 16 gauge sheet steel. I put ast least 1 inch all the way around but most of it has between 1 to 2 inches. This allows me to keep inside space to a max. I did hate to lose the look of the duece bed but I needed the space.

I was also able to do a bit of ballistic testing. I took a piece of the camper box to the range. It was a piece from one of the small window cut outs. I was just curious about shooting at it. A 22 ling rifle at 21 feet did not penetrate. A 45 acp same range did not penetrate. 357 magnum and 38 special went through it like it was toilet paper. I just thought it was fun to see. We all know zombies can't shoot guns so I am not too concerned. :lol:

Attachments

daddy2

Aright I couldn't resist. Here are a few pics of the test plate. I wanted to try the 9mm but since I really dislike the caliber I don't have one to try.

I plan on working on the inside today (rainy day). I will try to post some more pics of the studing of the inside walls.

Attachments

daddy2

I hurt my back yesterday so I will be out of commission for a few days but I thought I would post some pics I took a few days back. The studding is done. I plan on using up the spray foam ( when back warrents) on the ceiling and if any left over the sides. I think I have a little over half a system left. I gave myself three inches on the ceiling that can be insulation. I also decided to put another window on the passenger side. Nothing fancy, won't even open but it will give light and might balance out the camper better with sun light. Better do it now then have to tear into it later.

Attachments

Cycletek

Looking good amazing how straight those 2x4's are ..............hahahaha, I have to put them out in the sun with weight on mine to get them close to straight!

:beer:

Last edited:

daddy2

I thought I would take a better pic of the ceiling and the side wall to show you how I got the 3" of spacing. I used a pieces of 2*3 as a shim and them attached the 2*3 stud to it. This gives me a total of 3" of insulation space, except where the studes run across. There I have 1.5". The sides have 1.5 because I didn't use any shimming. The corregations in the roof are also not a deep as the sides. The roof off-set was about 1". The sides where about 1 3/4" off set.

Attachments

daddy2

Your right I would have liked using steel studding better but the 2*3's worked better and were a lot cheaper. I hate to part with the $$$.:whistle:

RECONJON

Impressive! First Class Build!

The foam insulation that I used in the shop van in my truck has definately kept it cooler, right now I have an uncoated/painted black rubber roof on top and even with the black surface the interior stays comfortable with out any A/C. It hasnt been above 75 here in the northeast for a few weeks for it hasnt been put to the full test yet.

Seeing your build puts my small project in perspective, thats for sure, humbling actually. Thats some great talent at work there. Well though and executed. Im sure quite a few dollars too. That lesson I learned quickly. I will say the feel good spending with tangible usefulness, doesnt hurt much. Its very therapuetic in my opinion.

Good luck with the build!

daddy2

Thanks guys for the kind words. The $$$ is running out. Big bills came my way, Had to buy a new work truck ( 2011 Chevy 3500 crew cab with 8' bed). I must budget budget budget. Also trying to give up the credit card. If no cash in hand then no purchase , except to for business expenses (construction business). I said trying. It is very hard to to do with the canper build. If I see it and need it I want it now, but I am trying to learn patients. Key word is trying.

More pics to come in a week or two.

M923driver

Good Job!! Especially cutting up the credit cards.2cents Best thing I've ever done for my mental health. It's hard at first, but after a while you don't even think about it. Might want to reconsider the new window being able to open. The cross-ventilation would probably be worth it. Great looking rig, you can sure be proud of it.

daddy2

Just a quick update. Hurricane Sandy took its best shot at us. We lost power for 4 days, but I had the Miller welder running as back up gen. Three large branches fell on the duece, but didn't leave a mark. Good old fashion USA built tough.
The city stepped in and made me get rid of the 20' shed I made out of the left over piece from the 40' container. I was told it wasn't the image the city wanted:-(. So I had to sell it and buy a new wooden shed. Should have it by next week. The problem it caused was I had to pack the camper full, with most of the stuff that was in the shed. Untill I get the shed deliverd, I have no room to work. The camper did work well with the storage though. Hopefully more to post next week.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a quick update. Hurricane Sandy took its best shot at us. We lost power for 4 days, but I had the Miller welder running as back up gen. Three large branches fell on the duece, but didn't leave a mark. Good old fashion USA built tough.
The city stepped in and made me get rid of the 20' shed I made out of the left over piece from the 40' container. I was told it wasn't the image the city wanted:-(. So I had to sell it and buy a new wooden shed. Should have it by next week. The problem it caused was I had to pack the camper full, with most of the stuff that was in the shed. Untill I get the shed deliverd, I have no room to work. The camper did work well with the storage though. Hopefully more to post next week.
Adapt, improvise, overcome!!!

Good job!

Looking forward to your future progress reports.

John

Danger Ranger

Too bad you couldn't paint the old shed camo and tell them you couldn't see it.

A new shed should be nice though, did you at least get a decent size?

scottjhl

Glad to hear it that you made it out of the hurricane without much of an issue...

I did not know that they can limit what a storage shed is made of....maybe if you would have painted it brown?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks