• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First '52 XM211

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As expected, the outer bearing went.
1. Outer bearing
2. Inner bearing
3. Seal and rubber... more research needed on this. I cannot believe this actually worked!
4. Pump rebuild kit contents
5. Rebuilt pump. I cannot understand how it will not leak.

So the fiber washer with ears is under pressure by the big rubber ring. The rubber is squashed on the shaft between the fiber washer and impeller. The fiber washer presses against the water pump housing. I assume the antifreeze provides lubrication so the fiber washer does not wear out. The ears fit in slots in the impeller so it turns with the impeller. (See the "Ahab arrow" in pic 4 8)) The fiber washer reminds me of motorcycle clutch disk material.

Attachments

Last edited:

SturmTyger380

Have you ever seen the older style water pumps with the oil/grease reservoir/cup with lid that screws into the body of the pump? I have an old M37 pump that is that way. Keeps the shaft and bearings lubed.

USMC 00-08

I had the honor of visiting MajorTom at Alfa Heaven this week. He is one heck of a guy, a lot of knowledge. He told me to not over tighten my belt or it will take out the bearings in a hurry. It did.
Did he describe how to know if the belt is too tight, too loose or just right? I need to check mine now and adjust it if needed.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually saw the M211 converted to a wrecker with over 111,000 miles on it. Of course there was some work done on it over the years. He had others with 5 ton dump boxes. He has some parts and the inventory is listed on his website.
...And he had some good stuff he is keeping for his vehicles. I understand that.

USMC 00-08

I'm going with the just so it does not squeal philosophy
This belt thing got me curious and I found a bit of info on it in TM 9-8024 on page 264. It says, "The correct tension is when a light pressure on belt midway between generator and water pump pulley causes 1/2- to 3/4- inch deflection."

Then I found this on page 232 of TM 9-8025-1.

100_2853.jpg

How does it compare to what you had that ruined your bearing and what you have it set at now? I'm trying to learn from you so I don't ruin one. There are some good pictures of water pump rebuild in TM 9-8025-1.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was no where close to that. I'm at about 3/4" now.

I finally gave up on the original stack. My elbow was rusted out. The original flex was good, but I could not make the bends tight enough so I purchased shorter braided flex coupler. It is 8" long. The original was about 14". I cut some good ends and it fit well on the muffler. The stack will get welded eventually. It sounds so good right now at ear height! I will add the flange for the extension in the morning.

The red truck had a huge heat shield, the yellow a small one. I'm going with the small for this one.

Attachments

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So far, So good on the water pump. It was much simpler than I figured to rebuild it. There was a lot of brown yuck when I pulled the lower radiator hose off. It will need a good flushing.
There was a misfire when I started it a while ago. thought it may have been a stuck intake valve so I pulled the valve cover off and broke the brittle gasket. Of course it is leaking and I have no gasket. O'reilly Auto has one for $13.99. Fel-Pro - Valve Cover Gasket Set Part # VS3460A
I will order one Tuesday. I pulled the winches off both trucks today. The yellow truck has a working winch. The red one does not turn. All the good parts are going on Red.

Also got the stack extension on tonight. Sounds great!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We'll ask Macus if he has any spare water pump kits and if you're game, I'll send a couple of take-outs down and you could make some spares to sell. I bought 2 new pumps from Brian Asbury and there's still one on the shelf. Any special tools. pullers, presses or goup needed to re-build one?

I'm sure there's a few valve cover gaskets on the shelf too if O'reilly doesn't pan out.

USMC 00-08

O'reilly Auto has one for $13.99. Fel-Pro - Valve Cover Gasket Set Part # VS3460A
I will order one Tuesday.
That is a good part number. I've used it and it works well.

Would be awesome if you were able to do a "How To" video or write up with pics on the water pump rebuild. Any chance of that happening?

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got Macus's last kit so I think I'm out of business. It is so simple to rebuild. The problem with me doing a video is I assembled it with a 3# hammer. It should really be done on a small shop press. Eventually I will pay the price.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm done with fuel issues for a while. 20gallon fuel cell with braided lines and a 24v carter pump. It works but is not ready for the road yet. There are still some final touches to the fuel system and a shut off.

Attachments

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And spring is here. Time to clean out carbs again! And please do not state the obvious. Yes, gasoline is getting into my water. I should not have assumed the there was a seal where there was none.

Attachments

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm back in business! Runs, shifts and kind of stops again. I wish these did not have to sit outside. The weather takes a toll on them. Red is could use a repaint this summer.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes. It is the one missing the gasket on the top to keep water out. I have the original tank and a good pump. I need to coat the tank, but I'd rather spend the money on other parts. With a 15 gallon fuel cell that has the outlet on the bottom there is no question when it is out of gas. I'm blown away how fast it burns 5 gallons.

1944mb

Haha, yeah economy for the military isnt too big a consideration.

Yes. It is the one missing the gasket on the top to keep water out. I have the original tank and a good pump. I need to coat the tank, but I'd rather spend the money on other parts. With a 15 gallon fuel cell that has the outlet on the bottom there is no question when it is out of gas. I'm blown away how fast it burns 5 gallons.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks