• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First '52 XM211

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I used the key type battery switch http://www.wholesalemarine.com/sea-dog-heavy-duty-on-off-switch-with-key.html but like the way you mounted up there above the low air alarm and think I will move mine down that way. I just got the switch and put it in line of the common 24v+ feed with a long enough store bought pre made battery cable. If truck wasn't covered in snow I'd get you a picture.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the idea on the keyed switch Dave. I will order one. My next idea is to place it inside a project box. I picked one up from radio shack for $5. I'll have all the wires hidden. The plan was to put the switch on the ground so it cannot short if the lugs got bumped. Inside the box it would not be a problem. 20/20 hindsight...
The box has no holes so you can drill them where you want for the battery cables. I used a step bit.

Attachments

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm back on the red truck. Getting close to the end. I'm planning on switching to a canvas top. Blasted and painted the top parts last week and will be painting tonight. The rubber seals look like new after being hit with the blaster. The weather strip even became a little more flexible after removing the outer hard stuff. I don't know it was from paint or sun or both. The canvas had some split seams and rips. I ran into a tent guy who swears by "Goop" for canvas repairs. I used the marine grade. It is holding strong. I hope to sew everything as well. As long as the canvas is laid flat, I will get some dimensions for the next person.

Attachments

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rustoleum Extreme Yellow 252461.
It was as close as I could get at the home store in a spray can. It is a wee bit too bright.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This project never ends. Just a few things left and cannot find what I need. Missing 4 headlight rubber isolator mounts.
I decided to go with the stock windshield frame and soft top for the summer. I have to work out the gas tank issues. Got some leads on a 20 gallon boat tank to replace my 6 gallon "yard" tank.
Need some new wood for the troop seats.
...and the brake hits the floor, again.

Attachments

USMC 00-08

Is that a Spectre filter on the top of your carburetor? Does the truck run different with it as opposed to the original oil bath? I had thought about doing the same thing for driving around and then hooking up the old original filter for display purposes.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was the least expensive thing that I could find on Ebay. It cost around $20 shipped. I purchased it only because I could not find the correct intake hose. I'm still looking. As far as performance, it did not bring about the 20-30 additional Horse Power as promised on the ad.

Last edited:

USMC 00-08

I have not been able to find a correct intake hose at all either. I ended up using the Spectre flex hose. It has worked well with some slight modification.

Too bad the filter did not do as advertised.

Do you have a source for the headlight rubber isolator mounts? I can check my parts trucks when the rain stops later this week if you need. I'm not really sure what those parts look like. Do you have a picture of one so I know what I am looking for?

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drive this red truck around the yard every week. I never noticed the air pack was not working until I took it on the road. It requires a lot of push to stop when over 20mph. I have 4 old air packs and a rebuild kit somewhere. Look what I found in a storage can!
I think there are 10 new wheel cylinders somewhere too.

Attachments

USMC 00-08

You will like having a functioning airpak. Makes a huge difference! Just a slight push on the brake pedal and you will feel it engage. When will you install the rebuilt one?

What else did you find in that treasure chest?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drive this red truck around the yard every week. I never noticed the air pack was not working until I took it on the road. It requires a lot of push to stop when over 20mph. I have 4 old air packs and a rebuild kit somewhere. Look what I found in a storage can!
I think there are 10 new wheel cylinders somewhere too.
It's a good life when a guy doesn't know what's in the inventory bin. Just like reaching into an old pair of pants and finding a hundred dollar bill, very cool find!

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I did one wheel a couple years ago. I'm still 2 wheel cylinders short.
It is a bad thing when you have to read your own thread to see what you did!

Attachments

Tplane37

I miss that ol' XM-211. Someone got a heck of a deal when I had to sell it in a hurry for $800 (made sure it was more than scrap price at the time). All she needed was the 12 new wheel cylinders sitting in the floor board installed and she was road worthy.

I'm in Texas now and want to find another one. Just bought trailer blueprints for a 30k trailer. Once that's built, I'm going to start looking harder.

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just pulled an old air pack from the storage can. I sandblasted the outside and then started taking it apart. There was a lot of junk inside. The big can was full of water. Like a quart. It is at least 4 years old and sparkling clear. The inside was like it was coated with white wax. I assume it was corrosion and oil. It was like un-frosting a cake on the big spring side. The grease/wax/whatever must have provided protection. The air side had no water or rust. I cleaned it up and ran a cylinder hone inside. I think it is repairable.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the honor of visiting MajorTom at Alfa Heaven this week. He is one heck of a guy, a lot of knowledge. He told me to not over tighten my belt or it will take out the bearings in a hurry. It did.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks