• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First '52 XM211

Gunfreak25

I like how you stayed away from the undercarriage too much as far as cleanliness and paint. These trucks get DIRTY underneath up north. Mine is pretty clean. But only because I spent WAY too many hours under there cussing and scraping, decreasing, etc.

As far as under carriages go, nothing but a can of worms. :hammer:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was pressure washed. I intend to remove the front clip and all tires (for brake work) Then I will spray it black.

I'm planning on having 2 exhaust systems bent up this week.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove Red out today. 2 new wheel cylinders on the left rear this afternoon.
Repaired the muffler, welded the bracket back on. Drives like a race car compared to Yellow. The wheel bearings were very dry. Oil had entered and exited with the grease. the seal in the keyway was wiped out. It took about a pound for the one set.

The list is getting shorter

Attachments

Last edited:

Tplane37

Anyone ever deal with Sam Winer Motors in Akron, Ohio? Is so, thoughts on reputation/service/prices? Like I said in another thread, I found a dump bed listed on here, but I Google Mapped the town, and it's a day's drive each way (I didn't realize he was on the OTHER side of PA... I'll call him anyway as a courtesy though).

I got a lead on a scrap yard 20 minutes down the road where they will let you buy steel from them at or near scrap value, and they sell it by weight, but it can be hit or miss on what you find. I am going to go nose around for some other metal for this truck and to repair the dove-tail on my trailer from towing her home.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just ordered a set of manifold gaskets from Alfa Heaven today $17 per set. Friendly people. I ordered a second set for the yellow M220 too. Luckily the manifolds are good yet.

No more tick, tick, tick..

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess so, the temp came up to 11 yesterday. May hit 20 today. I took 2 better front fenders in to be blasted Friday. It is amazing what a guy forgets he has stuffed in a shed. I'm gonna have to take the top off so I can get the truck inside.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it is the wrong color red. Then I was going to lay down the windshield and realized I was dead set on hardtop and heater since it is a Wisconsin truck last fall and I cut off all the extra stuff including the tab for the support. Hummmmm.........

Here is the new plan. I'll be making new tabs for the short term. In the future, I will be looking for a MILITARY hardtop and I have an original WS frame that will work nicely. I just don't like that curve-less aftermarket top.

Attachments

Last edited:

tstone

I really enjoyed reading this thread, my first deuce was a 52 XM211. It took me a whole day just to do the brakes on one axle(on the ground with a jack). I remember the hand activated starter lever on the auto transmission unit; it was a cool truck. It took a while to hit 40MPH but it did great off road. I took it to the East Coast Rally several times when Aberdeen still was open and I drove it through the tank recovery course without getting it stuck; it did really well in the mud.
Have fun!

Tom

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The color Red

Well, it is the wrong color red. /QUOTE]

Red is a miserable color. We tried to have a red fleet because my partners little girl liked red and I didn't care until one of the trucks doesn't quite match even using the same paint. The fleet is now red and white like our flag.

I'm re-posting one of the hood pictures because it's slicker then a minnow's chin . You set the bar pretty high back then so no one will ever notice after seeing their face in the hood.

That will be one of the most complete and preserved G749 trucks around, sweet.

Attachments

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. That "slicker than a minnows chin" is a good one! I have lowered the bar quite a bit. I outlawed anything finer than 120 grit this summer. It ended up being a huge project. Not quite Gunfreak-esque, but big enough. All I wanted was paint under every washer and bracket??? Not much worse than a good paint job and some rust working its way out from under something you did not take off. Correction, Not driving the truck on the road for 2 years is worse.
When I do the Yellow one it is going to be different. A few scotch-brite pads, 80 grit on the DA, 3 guys and 1 day. 383 green the next day, then some black here and there. That is it.

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spent a lot of time the last month sorting and organizing parts. Had everything scattered and could not find what I needed. Things were stored at friends, in-laws, trailers and everywhere in between. Stripped everything down to basic parts and "canned" them. The 3 big medical containers are big hard to find items and new parts or rebuild kits. I feel there is everything needed for another truck. The 30mm cans each hold rebuilt carbs, wheel cylinders and brake components, taillights, plumbing fittings, fuel components and so on.

The goal is to keep good ready to replace parts and devote that 2010 VSE rebuilt M105 trailer to the storage of G749 parts some day.

I also have to build a crate for that transmission with the REB kit and another crate for the bobber kit that is floating around here somewhere.

I have another medical can full of parts that are painted and ready to install on the M211.

Attachments

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Black window frames????
Well, a couple reasons:
1. It will match the 20% window tint if the truck stays RED
2. It will go with Olive and Black if I decide to change the color scheme.
Wisconsin just changed the law on Historic Military plates. If it goes back to military color, I could actually afford to register, license, insure and drive it.

I'm Going to pull the WS frame and insert fixed 3/8" safety glass. The truck is going to get driven.

Attachments

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 windshield glass

We're in this together, here's Goose still waiting for glass, months later.

P7210150.jpg

My kids at All West Glass were actually having trouble getting something to replace the rubber on the outer edge of the frame. SuperDave tossed me 4 seals from the M35 and I shouldn't be waiting much longer.

I'm no Carnac but I have a feeling we'll be seeing things much clearer in the future.