• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First '52 XM211

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, here is the best practice so far. Use a marker to darken the stamped vehicle numbers and date. Wipe excess marker quickly with acetone on a cloth rag. Heat the plates to 200 degrees in the oven for 30 minutes before spraying clear. Very nice finish and dry to the touch in a few minutes. This helps to keep out the flies and dust from the finish. I'm happy!

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm well into painting the interior now. Everything is primed and the interior is painted. Decided to go with Hunter Specialties Olive Drab. It is made in Iowa. I have painted several boats over the years and it is really tough. I use a lot of enamel hardener and a touch of acetone to reduce. 40psi at the outlet of the air tank and 50' of hose. The fan adjustment pattern is very tight so I have very little overspray. It goes on thick without running.
The parking brake lever is going to get painted red too.

Attachments

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for checking. They are almost impossible to find.
I took out the starter with the solenoid and replaced it with a remanufactured original. The reman came from my brother. Thanks again Jim!
I also replaced the dash tin as it was drilled by the fire department that owned it. The had installed a push button starter and siren switch.

Attachments

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My first attempt at sewing. I found a roll of camo fabric at an auction. There is room for improvement. The curves are tough to sew. The rest is the pics are of parts I decided to clear coat. I'm expecting the clear will make the the switches more durable. It also helps the letters stand out.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A new category of Professional MV Restoration has unfolded I believe. The lettering on the gear selector and light switch, the data plates and even the seat set the bar even higher.

Just wow detail Master H, certainly something to aim for when a guy does a G749 restoration from now on, beautiful.
We always appreciate it when you show us all the steps to get to the end result as well too so, :beer:

:tigger:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great weekend. 2 full days inside with the furnace running. One night was a late one.
PTO is bolted up. T-case is filled and best of all, no leaks. I will be connecting the cable next. I'm going to hold off on the PTO shaft until I can make another bearing mount and measure the components for the other truck.
Mud flaps are painted up and 90% installed. Have a couple brackets to sandblast and paint Monday.
Hand activated starter is installed and hooked back up. Believe it or not, there was a starter with a solenoid in there. The hand linkage had to be removed, freed up and reinstalled. SMoooooth now.
I added a super secret battery disconnect above the low air buzzer.
The reflectors are back on the box, even if they do need to be painted.
I made a cover for the access panel in the front of the bed. It was just killing me to not have one.
Exhaust stack guard is ready for some new pipe.
All the tarp tie downs are back on the frame.
The cab floor pan is back over the transmission.
Both Doors are completely assembled again

The list is getting shorter!

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The home stretch.. I'm estimating 80 more hours and 3-400 hundred dollars more and it will be done.
Several small reworks and a few paint and install pieces left. Big projects left include:
1. Picking a windshield frame and hardtop from my inventory, replace the glass, paint and assemble.
2. install the new manifolds, exhaust and muffler. Still have to have the stack bent.
3. Sand and paint the grill and radiator
4. Clean and coat the fuel tank, then select a fuel pump from my inventory.
5. replace some electrical connectors and install the turn signals
5. Maybe recover all the seats

I think it is going to get scuffed and painted again when it warms up. Then it gets the Civil Defense decals

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting project!
I remember as a kid in the 70s our Fire Department received a M38a1 and a M715 as part of the civil defense program. They had to display a Civil Defense sticker stating they were federal property. We did get title to the vehicles, But I'm told we had to agree to keep them for 20 years. They were sold at auction in the late 90s and my father purchased them. He sold them around 2000 and 2006.
There were several M211s that were given to local governments. Red was a wildland fire unit from Northern Minnesota. At least part of it was. Yellow was an Emergency Management truck from Meade County South Dakota. It was probably a radio truck, command center or equipment hauler. Maybe I'll email them . You got me thinking...

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Civil Defense Story is still being discovered and there are several 'buried' links to our trucks. We're just beginning to discover 'some' of the bunkers, comms shelters, repeaters, receiver and transmitter locations. I've only glanced at the American story but at least you guys have done a great job of telling it. Here are a few more links to some archive photos. It would be amazing having historical pictures of your M220 set-up on a current display with how it looks now.

The primary site.

http://www.civildefensemuseum.com/

https://austinfrederick.wordpress.com/2012/12/20/wisconsin-civil-defense/

On this site there are 3 examples of fire-fighting Deuces including one with water canons, very modernized.

http://legeros.com/essays/cd/apparatus.shtml

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is weld. They can be used if welded. The gaskets were blown out worse than the crack. If I did not have another I would have ground it and welded it better. Fortunately my brother found a couple spare engines that the USFS had in Wyoming. I think he paid .35 cents a pound for carbs and manifolds. The engines were in crates at a salvage yard. Do you need it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks