• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

From fire truck to MTV

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For reference, this is part number D120037(D120339). I did look at the flow calcs and the engine recommendations from Donaldson. The filter restriction fitting also screws directly in. Not sure if I will reconnect the aux hose to exhaust... So many other things to do

Last edited:

ramdough

For reference, this is part number D120037. I did look at the flow calcs and the engine recommendations from Donaldson. The filter restriction fitting also screws directly in. Not sure if I will reconnect the aux hose to exhaust... So many other things to do
That hose is called a scavenge and it pulls out the large particles that collect after spinning the air. I would use it if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That hose is called a scavenge and it pulls out the large particles that collect after spinning the air. I would use it if you can.

Yep, I know, just not a high priority as I'm not following conveys or in desert. It will be a very simple thing to do though.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice, I have two of those, not sure if I need one or both. Let me know how the engine does with just one maybe I'll sell the other one. I haven't installed them yet still have the original stack.
Totally depends on size, they have many offerings. What part number do you have and also what engine/power output?

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have two PSD100033 NOS which I believe were for an MRAP, and my truck is a 2001 m1083 A1 with the 330 horse 3126
View attachment 912598View attachment 912599
So that exact air cleaner isn't listed in their PDFs, however it has the identical size filter as D100398.
For a fairly close estimate, the CFM of your motor is 709 CFM. A PSD10 series can be used but I would use 2 of them for your engine output. See the highlighted items below for the equivalent to yours, and mine (also a 330hp motor). Note the difference in flows requires for the 4",6",8" vacuum values.

1702485208238.png

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Working on the design for the passthrough. Mix between engineering hours, local machine shop capabilities, keeping it KISS.
Planning for door on each side, using some electrical boxes on the ends for that. Need to find a way to support the separation flange when tilting cab(where the gap is right now). What flange fastening method to use...screws, quarter turns, outside vs inside detachment. I do have the geometry sorted though and will have a bit of an angle to put the doors where I want them on each side. Doing a 2.5" offset to clear the hinges on the shipping box door. You can see this in the second image of the overhead view.

1702601656021.png1702601617015.png

ramdough

Working on the design for the passthrough. Mix between engineering hours, local machine shop capabilities, keeping it KISS.
Planning for door on each side, using some electrical boxes on the ends for that. Need to find a way to support the separation flange when tilting cab(where the gap is right now). What flange fastening method to use...screws, quarter turns, outside vs inside detachment. I do have the geometry sorted though and will have a bit of an angle to put the doors where I want them on each side. Doing a 2.5" offset to clear the hinges on the shipping box door. You can see this in the second image of the overhead view.

View attachment 912739View attachment 912738
You don’t have to over think it. Just pull the rubber boot off the lip when you need to flip the cab. Takes about 10 extra minutes.

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don’t have to over think it. Just pull the rubber boot off the lip when you need to flip the cab. Takes about 10 extra minutes.

I'm not doing that, I flip the cab a lot and pulling that seal, it's grip weakens every time. The whole reason I didn't buy a pre-done RV was because of low quality engineering. I'll make a robust and relatively quick latching mechanism that doesn't get damaged every time it's used.

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Playing with thermal camera after today's test drive. Can see the heater works well :) Eco hubs are pretty much same temp as the tire as well.
img_thermal_1702661541411.jpg

New(old) ABS computer arrived and works. The old one I could connect to but had some weird behavior, new one functions as it should. Tested out all valves and did some ABS activation on the sandy roads.
20231215_102548.jpg

Went to a nearby park and tested some articulation. Not too worried about tire contact as this only used about 1/2 of available travel. While in this position, I did see flexing of the C-channel box bolt through points at the front and rear of the box. I will be adding springs to the mount points to reduce this stress riser.

20231215_110816.jpg20231215_110759.jpg20231215_110747.jpg

20231215_110125.jpg
20231215_110211.jpg20231215_104424.jpg

coachgeo

...Went to a nearby park and tested some articulation. Not too worried about tire contact as this only used about 1/2 of available travel. While in this position, I did see flexing of the C-channel box bolt through points at the front and rear of the box. I will be adding springs to the mount points to reduce this stress riser.
can you shoot a pic of this area where bracket/ bolts are at point on the chassis C channel flexing occurred.

thanks in advance

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
can you shoot a pic of this area where bracket/ bolts are at point on the chassis C channel flexing occurred.

thanks in advance
I should have taken a picture when flexed as it was more dramatic, but there is still some small amount of plastic deformation in the area of the forwardmost bolt shown. None of the others have any plastic deformation. I have ordered springs, bolts, washers for all 30 tie in locations to replace these relatively rigid mounts.
20231216_111033.jpg20231216_111040.jpg
1702766343786.png

coachgeo

I should have taken a picture when flexed as it was more dramatic, but there is still some small amount of plastic deformation in the area of the forwardmost bolt shown. None of the others have any plastic deformation. I have ordered springs, bolts, washers for all 30 tie in locations to replace these relatively rigid mounts.
View attachment 912920View attachment 912918
View attachment 912921
am not an engineer.. looks to me though that angle iron is not up to the task though. WIder and ton of triangulation ribs needed??

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
am not an engineer.. looks to me though that angle iron is not up to the task though. WIder and ton of triangulation ribs needed??
I am an engineer :)
The angle iron is 3/16 while the shipping container c channel is 1/8. The shipping container deflected.
It's a really complicated issue, where to add stiffness, compliance, high/low tensile, etc. I have all the tools to make FEA models but garbage in garbage out. Much easier to test a solution. The time spent on modeling the stiffness of both the frame and box would take many days, way easier to try out modular solutions where I can adapt to needs (for this since it's not a production application). It I had all the accurate solid models it would be wayyy easier.

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wh
I'm not doing that, I flip the cab a lot and pulling that seal, it's grip weakens every time. The whole reason I didn't buy a pre-done RV was because of low quality engineering. I'll make a robust and relatively quick latching mechanism that doesn't get damaged every time it's used.
what about using magnetic force to close that connection from the cab for cab tilt?