• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got my new deuce!

VBsurfer

So I took a look into the gas tank today, didn't have time for much else. Was busy with a retaining wall I am building for our fire pit out back (we're on a slope over the water) to level the area a bit more than it currently is. That's been an ongoing project for a few weeks now and hopefully in another two I will finish that up at least get it to the next stage for some more dirt fill. Ok back to the gas tank, it looked pretty clean and I didn't see anything floating around in the diesel that is in there but I relinquish that judgement to the experts out there if you see anything that I might have missed with my virgin eyes!! :)PXL_20220313_162942403.jpgPXL_20220313_162907577.jpgPXL_20220313_162759204.jpg

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exciting!
The pics really do not show anything of concern. The rearmost pinion seal looks like it is leaking a bit. The chassis is super clean and rust free, as you said.
For your own sanity, I suggest to split this into two separate projects:
1) the truck (engine, suspension, chassis, seals, cab/fender sheet metal, electrics)
2) the box (roof leak, leak proofing, wall insulation, floor integrity etc.)

Sounding like a broken record, once you get it running so you can move it around, pay a visit to the brake system to make sure it all works and is adjusted properly.

VBsurfer

Exciting!
The pics really do not show anything of concern. The rearmost pinion seal looks like it is leaking a bit. The chassis is super clean and rust free, as you said.
For your own sanity, I suggest to split this into two separate projects:
1) the truck (engine, suspension, chassis, seals, cab/fender sheet metal, electrics)
2) the box (roof leak, leak proofing, wall insulation, floor integrity etc.)

Sounding like a broken record, once you get it running so you can move it around, pay a visit to the brake system to make sure it all works and is adjusted properly.
Thanks and that's a good way to split this up for sure and I will follow your advice, much appreciated sir! Which picture are you referring to so I know what to take a look at and provide more information for the pinion seal?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was basing my observation on
PXL_20220311_135506617.jpg

There is a big black blob on the top of the differential. I looked at it again and I cannot actually tell if it is oil. Maybe paint? Maybe just road gunk? Anyway...have a look. Might be nothing.
Doing the seal there takes about 15 mins and a peanut butter or jam jar works great as a seal driver ;-)

VBsurfer

I was basing my observation on
PXL_20220311_135506617.jpg

There is a big black blob on the top of the differential. I looked at it again and I cannot actually tell if it is oil. Maybe paint? Maybe just road gunk? Anyway...have a look. Might be nothing.
Doing the seal there takes about 15 mins and a peanut butter or jam jar works great as a seal driver ;-)
I'll take a look and see if I can notice anything out of the ordinary and send some pictures.

VBsurfer

Hey all so I finally had some time to dive into the deuce after dealing with a lot of family stuff taking care of my mom and getting her back home. I noticed this was missing off my alternator. Any idea where I can find the part for this cover or am I stuck with getting another alternator? The wires are disconnected, I need to look up the diagram on these but one is probably the charger for the battery as I have a plug from the battery but the wire does not have a male terminator that goes with it my guess is this wire (the one with the plug im holding is that one not sure about the other wire, have to figure that one out.

Attachments

VBsurfer

While I'm here I found a few odd things as well around the turbo area. I found this hose coming off the turbo with a clamp but nothing attached to it (it's the one on the far left). Couldn't find where it would go to or anything missing. I'll be looking at the tech manuals on this as well. Appreciate any help or guidance as I figure my way through this. Found a few missing bolts, nuts here and there I need to find replacements but this is the most pressing stuff to figure out so I can see if I can start this puppy :).

Attachments

DaneGer21

While I'm here I found a few odd things as well around the turbo area. I found this hose coming off the turbo with a clamp but nothing attached to it (it's the one on the far left). Couldn't find where it would go to or anything missing. I'll be looking at the tech manuals on this as well. Appreciate any help or guidance as I figure my way through this. Found a few missing bolts, nuts here and there I need to find replacements but this is the most pressing stuff to figure out so I can see if I can start this puppy :).
Slobber tube. It is open to the atmosphere; normal. Some people extend that just below the front diff to help cut down on the oil spray/mess.

VBsurfer

Do the wires still have the metal tags?
No one cable has an end that is broken off but still attached. I think that was the ground wire, the military plug has the wire cut not sure where the rest of it went. I think the guy I bought it from was working on it and obviously didn't put it back together. It was sitting for about a year and hasn't started since, I ordered a cover (at least I think it's the right one) for the alternator wires and some other things from Big Mikes along with a new horn since the part that has the connections looks to be missing as well.

And thanks for the wiring number PDF!

VBsurfer

Slobber tube. It is open to the atmosphere; normal. Some people extend that just below the front diff to help cut down on the oil spray/mess.
Thank you sir much appreciated, I found another tube that goes somewhere but not sure where it goes either been looking at the schematics this morning trying to figure it out. The only place I found was on the other side of the air intake but the tube won't fit over it so can't be that one.

Rhino 5/4

Welcome sir. Looks like we will be walking a similar journey at the same time. The people here are awesome and I have found them to very helpful and a great morale boost when frustrated. Not to be confused with morals which I have seem to have lost since becoming a member here 🤔

VBsurfer

Welcome sir. Looks like we will be walking a similar journey at the same time. The people here are awesome and I have found them to very helpful and a great morale boost when frustrated. Not to be confused with morals which I have seem to have lost since becoming a member here 🤔
Thanks, yes they are very supportive in here, gonna need it for sure coming up. I'll keep posting updates as I go along plan on getting out there tomorrow. Got some parts from Big Mike to help fix a few things.

ToddJK

Nice truck! I'm curious to see how it turns out for ya. I think dirty fuel is out of the question, but a good way to check for flow and air is to turn the power on so the in tank pump is going, open up the bleeder valve on the secondary filters. Should have a good steady flow. If not, either the primary is plugged or if there's bubbles, there's air in the system. I don't know what the other owner did or didn't do, but I would do all the easiest and cheaper options before moving to the harder and expensive options. Hopefully it's not IP related, but I'm just hoping for the best for ya, lol.

Rhino 5/4

I learned the hard lesson again to never assume. I pulled the secondary canisters on the second truck last night, filters were clogged and inside of canisters had thick varnish. SOaking them now in laquer thinner. Just a suggestion if its been sitting or mayby just good practice on new to us trucks: start at tank and drain and flush , pull the filters, lines and injector lines and flush all the way to injectors. I have no idea how long the trucks i have were sitting, possibly 10 years or so but this is what was the condition of all 3 filters on the 109.

Attachments

ToddJK

I learned the hard lesson again to never assume. I pulled the secondary canisters on the second truck last night, filters were clogged and inside of canisters had thick varnish. SOaking them now in laquer thinner. Just a suggestion if its been sitting or mayby just good practice on new to us trucks: start at tank and drain and flush , pull the filters, lines and injector lines and flush all the way to injectors. I have no idea how long the trucks i have were sitting, possibly 10 years or so but this is what was the condition of all 3 filters on the 109.
That's a good way to go about it. Filters are easy and cheap to due. Adding some gas to the diesel will help clean up the system as gas acts like a solvent. I was young and dumb once and thrown in dirty oil in my fuel tank. It clogged all my filters and stalled it. Wouldn't start again. This was before I was older and had common sense, lmao. Get her back together and bleed that air out, she just might start and run like a champ.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks