• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Govliquidation Registered Letter

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wrote to my Congressman and my Senators months ago. Only got a letter from my Congressman who sent a form letter telling me we must not allow terrorists to obtain military equipment. OK, what are terrorists going to do with 15 year old commercially available oscilloscopes, power supplies and the like?
Govt. Liquidation also sent me several e-mails asking us to call or write to our representatives. They, Govt. Liquidation, are not the bad guys here. They are getting flack from the goverment who is changing those clasifications. Yes, their approach to the problem is bad and their record keeping seems to have alot to be desired.
Our local depot has little for sale anymore. Every sale once had thousands of items. The guys there tell me most is now being scrapped. Also, my last EUC took 6 months for approval as they are re-screening everyone.
As for the post who asked why the same item may require an EUC at one place and not another, it has to do with where the item was last used, believe it or not. If say a power supply was from a radio repair shop, it is OK. If the same item came from a missle base, it is B&Q. Silly but true.

devilman96

To find your congressional rep go here >>>>>>>> http://www.house.gov/writerep/

DRMO address...

Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service
Hart Dole Inouye Federal Center
74 Washington Ave. N
Battle Creek, MI. 49017-3092

Letter body... (I am also attaching this as a word doc if you want to download it in fill in the blanks)

Put your return address here!!!

September 11, 2007

(enter DRMO or congressional address here)

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am writing you in regards to the recent changes in the handling of government surplus goods sold by the DRMO for civilian use.

Where as I understand the need for tighten control over sensitive items such as retired aircraft parts I feel the current standards being put into place is forcing more items to be wasted than it is doing good.

As a hobbyist and collector of retired military vehicles and equipment I am baffled by the recent requests and changes of status being put on current as well as previously sold DRMO items. Many of us “in the hobby” are currently being chased down by Government Liquidation (the contractor for resale of DRMO items) for paper work on purchased items dating back as long as 6 years ago. Again where as I could understand this on “restricted items” sold by mistake 99% of the requests we are seeing in the hobby are for items such as trailers, common civilian vehicles, cargo vehicles and things as small and pointless as tubes of weather stripping adhesive and common truck parts which are readily available at any automotive parts store.

Additionally I am seeing a new trend in the past few months which is placing items such as filing cabinets, bicycles and civilian made truck and vehicle parts (again common every day goods) on “demil lists” requiring the purchase of such an item to be destroyed by the buyer… Where is the security of the US being protected by lowering the valve of a commonly available good to the level of scrap metal?

I feel in the mist of concern for tightened security over sensitive items slipping through the system something has gone very wrong and the corrective actions being taken are not only poorly thought out but also poorly understood by the persons whom put said actions into place.

Myself as well as other collectors see these actions as fruitless…. Where as this many be a simple hindrance to our hobby I also see it as a waste by our government both in retired assist valve as well as millions of dollars in time and paperwork being spent to track and chase the commonly available spark plug sold at Wal-Mart.

Sincerely,

(your name and sign above it)

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think somehting similar to the following should be added:

"Countless Fire Departments, Volunteer Fire Departs, Emergency Management Agencies and other governmental agencies have benefitted from ex-DOD equipment in the last 60+ years. As well as private companies-the acquisition cost of a used, but well maintained heavy duty truck with off road capability is well outside of the possible for many small businesses. The logging industry in particular has made great use of ex-military trucks.

An ex-military cargo truck, wrecker, dump truck, etc., with any precious equipment such as communications or weapons systems demilitarized or removed poses no more danger to the public than a rented Volvo."

devilman96

By the by... If you guys dont mind... Post up some more information on the items your being sought after for EUC's and recalls... I may PM some of you for more information if you want to give it... Id like to take the list down to my Congressional office when I get a form letter reply back like rbollz did... Sometimes you have to make the idiots read line for line to get the point...

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also add something in there about our tax dollars, which paid for these items, are being wasted by destroying them. Very important...

When a completed letter is done by someone a little more sober than I am, please post here for all of us to send by certified first class mail.

devilman96

MD... Ya might wanna sober up and re read that...

I also see it as a waste by our government both in retired assist valve as well as millions of dollars in time and paperwork being spent to track and chase the commonly available spark plug sold at Wal-Mart.
I think somehting similar to the following should be added:

"Countless Fire Departments, Volunteer Fire Departs, Emergency Management Agencies and other governmental agencies have benefitted from ex-DOD equipment in the last 60+ years. As well as private companies-the acquisition cost of a used, but well maintained heavy duty truck with off road capability is well outside of the possible for many small businesses. The logging industry in particular has made great use of ex-military trucks.

An ex-military cargo truck, wrecker, dump truck, etc., with any precious equipment such as communications or weapons systems demilitarized or removed poses no more danger to the public than a rented Volvo."
Clint,

I would agree but... A long time law on the books in regards to MV's is that they are considered to be an article of war and listed on munitions lists world wide by countless treaties, accords and agreements... I felt that specifically listing MV as ex DoD or as demilitarized left to big of a hole to be shot through... Where we see our trucks and trailer as toys / hobbies / big green fun things they are in fact a heavily controlled and restricted item.. We just now starting to see the little bits and pieces of this getting enforced where as it never has been in the past

BSH

Here's another thought on lobbying.

You will get a generic form letter when you write your Representative or Senator. Your letter/email/fax will get the most cursory look from an intern, who looks up some relevant manner of shooting down your suggested action.

Establish a relationship with someone on the staff of your Rep/Senator. You will never get the ear of your elected official, but the staffer will. If at all possible, MEET the staff person, explain your issue and hand them your letter. Call/email them to follow up, and meet them again. If you say something once, it can be dismissed. Give the staff person enough information, context, and feeling to be sure the truly understand the issue. Follow up AGAIN so they know that this is a serious issue to some of their constituents.

Suggest to the staffer that a solution would be to slip something into a DOD authorization bill that is completely harmless, protects and IMPROVES security in every way, but still respects those folks who make a hobby of collecting/restoring/using/enjoying NON-SENSITIVE military gear. Importantly, this can be couched in a way that improves the disposition of GI gear and benefits the public by getting the most value for the taxpayer AND enhances security of truly sensitive items, but leaving non-sensitive items alone.

That's my 2¢ for tonight.

GunTruckBuilder

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
If such a find was able to get past the many eyes and hands that go over each item, the guy in question would only get that kind of treatment in a liberal state like Maryland... lol but for real the weapons would be traced back to the unit they were last issued to and they would be held accountable for the loss of accoutablity.
Care to add Massachusetts to that list padre? Folks often assume I'm some kinda genius because I got my double doctorate from MIT in 5 years, actually I just can't stand the east coast!

Losing that kind of weaponry would be a "career ender" for the personnel in question?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
It would in most cases result in a Court Martial that would probably send them to Levenworth and not to go to CGSC. Weapons are a tight hold item as well as thinks like radios and NVG's that if lost result in the whole unit staying in the field walking side by side looking for said items. If they are really lost then the issue becomes one of intense scrutiny and will most likely wind up in a General Court Martial. My big concern in there are things like this going on over in Iraq and for some reason it is being ignored by many. I am still working on this legally so I can not comment further.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks