• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hi! New owner...I'm in love...

amy1009

Re: RE: Hi! New owner...I

westfolk said:
See and I thought that "not that there's anything wrong with that" was a Seinfeld reference. Welcome to the forum.
Hey - thanks for the welcome and thanks for getting the joke!) I didn't even realize it was a Seinfeld reference...

amy1009

rdixiemiller said:
Not a lot of members of the "fairer sex" here. Glad to see some ladies who enjoy MV's. Welcome to the club! If you log into chat, just let us know, so we won't be too ........ummmm.........rude?
Come on now...no way you could be rude - and no way I'd care or even notice! I DO suppose I'll have to stop making my 'stupid ex-husband' jokes though...wrong crowd.

As far as the ladies go - I know about 2 who think it's cool...which is good and bad...good because that means they're smart people...bad cuz there's only 2!!!!

amy1009

derby said:
Welcome,Welcome, good to see more MV owners in my neck of the woods! that looks like a sweet ride!
Well if I don't undercoat her soon...I guess you won't see me long! Thanks for the welcome, I must say though - your truck is sweeter than sweet! (assuming it's the one in your pic, which seemed like a safe assumption).

amy1009

alphadeltaromeo said:
Hope you really enjoy the SS site and can gain lots of valuable input as well.
Thanks! How do you fit all 8 kids in the truck you've got there??? :wink: Man, I wish my dad would have been that cool...

amy1009

Recovry4x4 said:
Welcome to the Steel Soldiers family. That's a nice looking ten-o-nine you have there. You will find this site indispensable and addicting just as the hobby is. You will also find out that hangin with this group will teach you one thing, one MV is never enough. This site is pretty much about 2 things. 1) Military vehicles, and this is the fabric that's brought us all here. 2) Camaraderie, once here you develop friendships from afar you never thought possible. One evening when you have nothing to do, read back through the road trip forum and see what can be accomplished by some people on the road and those who will go to any length to support them. And by the way, I don't recall any incidents at all on this site where gender or sexual preference has ever come into play. Again, welcome to our family!
I'm certainly addicted to things with 4-wheels...I just need a polebarn to finally be able to put the fleet indoors and stop fixin' things in the driveway! Thanks for the warm welcome. I will indeed look back through the road trip forum, sounds like some fun times. I hope you weren't offended by my joke! I was just tryin' to show I had a sense of humor - you have to when you're a bigger hillbilly than any guy you've ever dated...

amy1009

ojsdna744 said:
Welcome to the site Amy, there are quite a few CUCV owners relatively close that are resident experts on M1009s! (Ida is practically next door) And yes, several of us take our rigs out regularly to play in the mud! :driver: That'll make a great winter vehicle!
Hey - Flint huh! That's where I'm from actually, born & raised. Isn't that where these great trucks were built? I thought I read that in Rivethead - have you read that book?

amy1009

alphadeltaromeo said:
Kenny - I do believe you're quite right...for some reason I'm thinking about how I can get a daily drive 1008/1009, etc...
Here's my two cents - I don't see why not. I sold a Lincoln Mark VIII and moved up into this as a daily driver, and I much prefer this. It starts everytime, is an awful smooth ride for what it is, super tight turning radius for these stupid Honda-only parking spots these days, and you can actually see out of it. So - it's got my vote. The only thing that would make a better winter daily driver is some carpet & insulation to keep it warm

amy1009

Recovry4x4 said:
Forget it Andy, you need what I want and have not put together yet. I really want to convert an 80s deisel suburban to be a CUCV clone. I'm not so concerned as it passing an inspection as a CUCV but want a great driver that looks like a CUCV. Of course because I love the smell of canvas, would love to recover all 3 seats with it. With seating for 9 and some cargo space in the back, you could take the family into the outback. Of course you would need an M101A2 to tag along behind with the gear too. Here's a peek at Jim Newton's CUCV suburban. I'm not touting Jim as his Mildoc site has been ripping folks off but it is a reference.
http://www.cucv.net/suburban/cucv.html
Here's a question maybe you can answer for me. I was thinking that I'd like to take off the rear 'door' it's got now and put the two rear doors on from a Suburban that swing out. Does anyone know if these doors will fit?

amy1009

Armada said:
Another Michigander, Welcome! Nice M1009. You've come to the right place as Kenny says. You can get answers/help here for just about any question you might have. We especially love pictures too, so post away.
Thanks for the welcome! I will have to start taking some pics! My dogs (Australian Cattledog girls -red and blue) LOVE my truck! They especially love the gun-port-hole (what is the right term for this?) behind the front seats as their noses fit in there perfectly. I've also got her decorated for Christmas with a nice tasteful wreath in front! I think it's Christmas card material...

amy1009

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
Welcome Amy, My youngest daugher wants our M1009 when she gets her licence. Her brother drives it now and they both love it more than the YJ they had been driving. It gets great milage too if you do not drive it too fast. This site is sooooo cool too as others have mentioned it provides fellowship and great reference material.
Thanks for the welcome! Sounds like your daughter's got excellent taste, you musta raised her right!) You're right on with the mileage too. I haven't towed with it yet, so that will be interesting. What a collection you've got! WOW!

amy1009

steelsoldiers said:
Hi Amy! Welcome to the SS Family. I started out in 1995 with a M1009 so they are dear to my heart too. It's great to have a few ladies in the hobby. You'll find we are a family friendly site full of good hearted military vehicle enthusiasts. Can't wait to hear more about your CUCV.
Thanks Chris! It's a shame more younger people don't get more involved with historical cars anymore overall. I've also got a 1951 Packard I've had for 8 years, and the youngest person in the Detroit Packard Club had about 40 years on me... I'm glad you found a way to bring people with these vehicles together, that's great. Thank you!

amy1009

ONTOS66 said:
Hi Amy,
Welcome to the group. Always nice to see another CUCV among all these "big truck" collectors. :)
In case you are interested in the background on your vehicle, according to the bumper numbers:
It belonged to the Intelligence Officer (S-2) of
the 3/126 Aviation (GSAB? anyone speak aviation?)
of the 26th Infantry Division.
An Army National Guard unit with an interesting history.
Check it out at this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:29id-org.gif
Thank you thank you! I am very interested in decrypting the codes! So far, all I had time to look up was the PMCS. I work with a guy who was in the Army but all he could say was he thought it was Airforce maybe...Thanks for the link!!!

amy1009

Elwenil said:
Ha ha, you old bunch of hounds! I've never seen anyone get this sort of welcome the whole time I have been on SteelSoldiers. One girl comes around and you all go nuts, lol! Oh well, I guess more females in the hobby would be interesting so they should be welcomed.

With that in mind, "Welcome". That is all... :wink:
I'm heartbroken... I thought the nice welcome was because I work for a tree-hugging agency of the federal government...and my sense of humor :cry:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks