• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV acquisition and rebuild

EwaMarine

I have a slant back trunk if you want it to start your slant back pile..also I have two rear doors (no glass though) as well...they are yours if you want em, just have to pay for shipping from Hawaii..(ouch) im up on freq at 808 673-NAVY or you can email me at brad@nambp.org Ill zap some pics tomorrow if you want...

DSO_351

It appears the block head has a correct alternator bracket. The yellowish adgustable one is incorrect. Back of the alternator has what appears to be the military adjuster bracket. It may have been modified. A surplus store in PA has them $10. Might need to consider the rear support that goes on the exhaist manifold stud. popular auction site numbers: 290443031160, 250566964791.

60 Amp generators are a common M-Series item.

Steel Soldiers has downloadable manuals too. Inside it has correct bolt sizes.

jeremymx26

Ok it's been a while since I updated my progress. I have stripped the body of everything so that when spring comes I can pull it off to replace the wiring harnesses, glow plugs, and fix anything out of place.
I have gathered many parts and started getting sub-assemblies ready to go in place. Here are some pics of what I've been working on.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you going to make it a slant back still ?
That windshield is a soft top one.

kungfu dave

I am jealous of any MV at this point! I have been dying to get SOMETHING green but my wife just had twins... Looks like it will be a while before I truly get to join the club. PLEASE include lots of pics of your project so I can live through you. Sweet machine and I will be watching your progress. :drool:

jeremymx26

Are you going to make it a slant back still ?
That windshield is a soft top one.
I have decided to go with a 4 door softtop configuration and also purchased the cargo area cover as well.

With everything else the truck needed I figured best to address all of its issues before the slant back.
I believe I have 90% of everything I need to repair the truck, but time will tell.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have decided to go with a 4 door softtop configuration and also purchased the cargo area cover as well.

With everything else the truck needed I figured best to address all of its issues before the slant back.
I believe I have 90% of everything I need to repair the truck, but time will tell.
slantbacks are terrible...yes, I own one, but if you want to go fast, not get stuck and worst, get rained on while in the cab, go with a soft top...its a no brainier. Hey, but that's just me...and I drive them 7 days a week.

DatGuyC

Man that paint looks good. What paint are you using as I need to touch up mine and I cant really find the right colors? Also if the brackets holding the light bar are the aluminum ones it came with, they are known to fatigue and crack. I have the same bar but am getting some brackets made out of 1/4 steel.

Last edited:

jeremymx26

Man that paint looks good. What paint are you using as I need to touch up mine and I cant really find the right colors? Also if the brackets holding the light bar are the aluminum ones it came with, they are known to fatigue and crack. I have the same bar but am getting some brackets made out of 1/4 steel.
Good to know on the light bar. If your having them made maybe have an extra set made and I will buy them.

The paint is behr color matched from a 3 point seat belt bracket. The black and brown are rustoleum.