• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV acquisition and rebuild

EwaMarine

I have a slant back trunk if you want it to start your slant back pile..also I have two rear doors (no glass though) as well...they are yours if you want em, just have to pay for shipping from Hawaii..(ouch) im up on freq at 808 673-NAVY or you can email me at brad@nambp.org Ill zap some pics tomorrow if you want...

DSO_351

It appears the block head has a correct alternator bracket. The yellowish adgustable one is incorrect. Back of the alternator has what appears to be the military adjuster bracket. It may have been modified. A surplus store in PA has them $10. Might need to consider the rear support that goes on the exhaist manifold stud. popular auction site numbers: 290443031160, 250566964791.

60 Amp generators are a common M-Series item.

Steel Soldiers has downloadable manuals too. Inside it has correct bolt sizes.

jeremymx26

Ok it's been a while since I updated my progress. I have stripped the body of everything so that when spring comes I can pull it off to replace the wiring harnesses, glow plugs, and fix anything out of place.
I have gathered many parts and started getting sub-assemblies ready to go in place. Here are some pics of what I've been working on.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you going to make it a slant back still ?
That windshield is a soft top one.

kungfu dave

I am jealous of any MV at this point! I have been dying to get SOMETHING green but my wife just had twins... Looks like it will be a while before I truly get to join the club. PLEASE include lots of pics of your project so I can live through you. Sweet machine and I will be watching your progress. :drool:

jeremymx26

Are you going to make it a slant back still ?
That windshield is a soft top one.
I have decided to go with a 4 door softtop configuration and also purchased the cargo area cover as well.

With everything else the truck needed I figured best to address all of its issues before the slant back.
I believe I have 90% of everything I need to repair the truck, but time will tell.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have decided to go with a 4 door softtop configuration and also purchased the cargo area cover as well.

With everything else the truck needed I figured best to address all of its issues before the slant back.
I believe I have 90% of everything I need to repair the truck, but time will tell.
slantbacks are terrible...yes, I own one, but if you want to go fast, not get stuck and worst, get rained on while in the cab, go with a soft top...its a no brainier. Hey, but that's just me...and I drive them 7 days a week.

DatGuyC

Man that paint looks good. What paint are you using as I need to touch up mine and I cant really find the right colors? Also if the brackets holding the light bar are the aluminum ones it came with, they are known to fatigue and crack. I have the same bar but am getting some brackets made out of 1/4 steel.

Last edited:

jeremymx26

Man that paint looks good. What paint are you using as I need to touch up mine and I cant really find the right colors? Also if the brackets holding the light bar are the aluminum ones it came with, they are known to fatigue and crack. I have the same bar but am getting some brackets made out of 1/4 steel.
Good to know on the light bar. If your having them made maybe have an extra set made and I will buy them.

The paint is behr color matched from a 3 point seat belt bracket. The black and brown are rustoleum.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks