• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV's in New Jersey area for a shoot?

tourus

the reply was not aimed at anyone . I was just stateing the first thing poeple always ask is about money. No I am not retiired or wealthy or in business for my self. I do work for a job that has vacation days. I also work a rotating shift and days. I also said he would have to work around my days or weekends or what ever.no I dont own a HMMWV but would of couse like one but hay I dont I own other a M1010 and M1028/31. It is a maintance body that the mil. put on a 28 frame.

FormerNewMVGuy

Well I am the Sargent At Arms for the MTA, and the man who's email i gave you Via PM, Has a nice HMMWV and so does another Member, If you need any trucks , Let me know, I have a very nice M813A1 and A M35A2, I f you need the Phone # for the man i gave you the initial contact for let me know.

misspelledpro

Well I am the Sargent At Arms for the MTA, and the man who's email i gave you Via PM, Has a nice HMMWV and so does another Member, If you need any trucks , Let me know, I have a very nice M813A1 and A M35A2, I f you need the Phone # for the man i gave you the initial contact for let me know.

I emailed him and he got back to me this morning, thank you!

emr

I emailed him and he got back to me this morning, thank you!
1 Humvee is owned by a retiree, and another owned by a fellow in Florida for the winter, Scott the Sgt,at Arms was on it as i read this , I am saying this becuase as current President, I must say since u felt there was no reply, u mayhave pm'ed Scott right away for immediate action, as he was also on it in the first place, just an fyi...
Also the going rate for a Humvee starts at $900, we have set prices with other clubs as to keep the honest honest, and responcible people doeing business with reputable film and internet business's. If U have never had insuranse to cover the vehicles while in your care, you are a novice and I would suggest stay clear of your shoot, If U do not have a secure location also... and yes also insured to hold vehicles for such an event, i have to repeat the above comment, No disrespect intended, Just basic facts as they stand, As I read your info, It is important for the safety of people, vehicles and our hobby as a whole to keep a standard for the rentals of our prized possesions, Many Producers try the ,...We have no money gig, thats an out right lie period, and meant to use an individual that is not famillier with the business,
And remember the line is ..."""Our budget is not that much for such a vehicle , Than again the novice rule comes into effect, Those people who say that need to do some homework when making a budget :), But u know what, they did and they want to get u cheap, they want to use us, sad but true. .
I am not going to give U the info u need to find em here, the way the pros do, because i feel this is a weary deal. ...Randy ...any questions comments please feel free to call 973 219 4499 all I said are facts as we have learned them from many years supplying vehicles to such endeavers.

Last edited:

emr

Sorry for some reason every time i try to separate the paragraphs, they jump together...And the corrected spelling is not posting either, sorry I tried a few times...

misspelledpro

I understand you mean no disrespect, and I do not take any of it offensively. I would like to stress, though that a 'professional producer' is not determined by their budget. This thread, as well as every other thread I've posted on other forums around the internet, is my form of research. I had no idea going into this how much it costs to rent such a vehicle, which is why I was asking around. and when I was told the price, I simply stated that I could not afford that, and walked away. I never tried haggling or arguing.

I never once told anyone that $900 was more than I had a lotted for a vehicle. I simply stated that the rough estimate I was given was more than half of my current budget for the entire shoot. If it so happens I can raise extra funds, I would love to re-visit the deal

I would also like to stress that I am not trying to take advantage of anyone. I am aware that a lot of people in my line of work play dirty and there is nothing I can do about that. It is also common thought that because one is in the film industry, they have a lot of money. This is also not true. I am not backed by a studio. I am not backed by investors (yet). This project is self-funded. However, that does not have anything to do with my legitimacy.

as for my previous use of vehicles without providing insurance, the owners of the vehicles never brought it up. Our set was insured, which included the vehicles, but I did not provide individual vehicle insurance.

I feel as though there is somewhat of a communication mishap here. I am not claiming to be more than I am, so please don't perceive me to be. I am simply an independent producer asking for information for rental of a vehicle. I have received information from your establishment and am now researching other options. I thank you for your time, your help, and your information, and if ever I have the proper funding for such an endeavor, I would love to work with you in the future.

rickf

900.00!!!:shock::shock::shock: WOW!
Well, Maybe since I don't own a Hummer I would be happy with what was offered. I guess I am just too old fashioned I don't know. Everything is not about the money to me, I would just enjoy watching the goings on and having fun. If this is how the clubs are run as you describe there is an agreement then I am glad I do not belong to a club and have to abide by those rules.2cents And before you hit me with the "Well you must be rich" statement, I make less than 60K a year. I don't think I fall into that category.

Rick

FormerNewMVGuy

Well most of the TV ,Movie shoots we do are in the City , or one of the Five boroughs. tranportation costs are very steep, plus the two ,to three hours of time to get a 5 ton or deuce to the location and back again, plus a days pay .

Our prices are what they are for a reason.

BTW My 5 ton rolls at 5 mpg @ $4.00 a gallon. It dont take long to rack up the cost.

Good luck giving it away, just to see the goings on at the shoot.

rickf

Fuel is compensated. You are charging to get there and back PLUS a days pay? Isn't that double dipping? Hey, I am not arguing with you, it is your trucks, your clubs and your rules. Just curious, do the members of your club also belong to the SAG? Well, Me and my MUTT may never be in a movie and I am sure I will never be paid for it but I can go to bed at night with a clear conscience.

Rick

emr

Really.... a clear conscience ? so I am suspecting u send back any pay to your work because u did not spend that much any given year ? Bet not, Fuel is double dipping ? really? Sorry no way no how, the vehicles cost money to purchase, maintain, and run down the road, taking off work is required in most cases, I would have never called u rich for your statement, just a little wet behind the ears :)
When we do a shoot, we require the owner.... is the driver ( if driving is required) and that means they are paid the going rate of an actor, usually $128 per day,( additional) and yes they pay into the union and are an official member for the calender year. ( I have been for a few years now) U are welcome to undercut / scab, the vehicle owners that see this as a serious business that helps everyone involved. Like I simply explained above, It keeps the honest Honest, and a professional working environment for all, and keeps our vehicles safe and secure,
The people who make the movies are going to make a profit, or maybe lose there shirt, That is not the problem of the people they hire, Just like when u make your 60 thou, From your post your boss's will be happy to know when they run short, u will attend for free when needed. But all kidding aside.... You have no experience and are talking out your pockets :) After u spend the travel time, a 14 hour day, and have something broken on your vehicle , U will be singing a different toon, I have had damage,( and they paid very well for it, only had to send a bill and check came fast in mail, It pays to only deal with those who are in the business for real ) and for 2 weeks on one shoot... home at 8 p.m. and off at 4 a.m. so they were not held up, The pros, will send u home in a car and pick U up also if your vehicle stays over, For White Collar they did it for 2 weeks, from NYC to my front door, all in the cost of doing business, Every auto supplier for movies etc. knows and gets these perks, they are there because they need people who deliver, not fly by nights.

Last edited:

rickf

You know what EMR, I was Local 825 for a long time until they dropped my book for taking too many jobs. You lost any respect for you that I had when you called me a scab. Would I give my employer a free hour in tough times? yes I would. I have a job with good benefits and I am thankful to have that. Obviously you feel the whole world owes you. I have nothing more to say to you sir. You, your money grubbing club and all of it's members and affiliates can go upon your merry way. And you know what? My conscience is still clear. Good night and enjoy counting your money.

BTW............I have a fair amount of knowledge about how movies work. Been there, done that for a few years.

Rick

Last edited:

misspelledpro

The pros, will send u home in a car and pick U up also if your vehicle stays over, For White Collar they did it for 2 weeks, from NYC to my front door, all in the cost of doing business
Right.. white collar. Filmed by FOX studios. Of course they are able to send a car to pick you up and pamper you for 2 weeks. FOX has millions, if not billions of dollars behind them to throw money in every which way.

I am now, starting to take offense to what you are saying. I am no 'fly by' film maker, and as i said before, the amount of money one has to work with does not determine how professional they are. I have 2 films that are distributed, I have won awards such as best film and best screenplay, I have sold out at festivals that have never had a sold out crowd before. But just because I am making a web series (a 5 min episode) for around $2k and not $2million, does not mean I am not a 'professional producer'. I am not about to sit here and let you belittle me when you clearly have no idea what the inner works of production are, just as I have no idea how to do your job.

I think it's great you get work with the major studios and they pamper you and treat you well. Honestly, I do. And one day, when I do have budgets like them to work with, I hope to work with you all because your equipment is that impressive. But we all start somewhere, and I am not a major studio. I am a start up, independent film producer. It IS my profession, it IS what I do for a living, and I am good at what i do and love doing it. Clearly, we are not the right candidates for each other. You are not what I am looking for for this particular project and I am not the kind of company you want to do business with at this juncture. But judging by your posts, you clearly don't know anything about film production. The going rate for SAG-AFTRA actors changes per budget. SAG-AFTRA recognizes that we are not all major studios. So FOX has to pay the going rate on their budget (not sure what their budget is) but since you say they paid $128/day, I assume they have over $1mil per episode, or what SAG calls 'low budget'. Me? my budget is $2k... or as SAG would call it, a Micro Budget..My contract with SAG on this project is New Media. Under said contract, the going rate for an actor is $0. And guess what? I am legally allowed to have SAG actors for $0 and still be considered legit. Under any other SAG contract, minimum pay for Actors is at least $100/day. But rules change dependent on the budget, just as I would suggest you take into consideration if you'd like to broaden your horizons.

rickf

I feel that I should apologize here because it seems I was the one to start this flare up. The main reason I did so was because if you go back to the beginning of this thread you will see where the O/P said that fuel would be covered as would insurance if need be. Therefore there would be no out of pocket expense for the owner. Now this club comes in and wants to hire themselves out full time, full rate. Yea, I am going to say something. At that point it is about the money and nothing else. That is NOT what the O/P was looking for. He was also not looking for a debate or a lesson in acting or producing economics. He already has that. As for the barbs tossed at me about not knowing how these things work.......I was a stunt driver for a couple years, graduated from the bondurant school of high performance driving and under the tutelage of Gary Combs. It did not pay anywhere NEAR what you guys are asking. And I guarantee the hours were a lot longer and the work was a lot more brutal. That is why I found a real job. Again, I am sorry for starting the crap Stanton. I wish you the best with your shoot.

Rick

Srjeeper

Suggestion...

MP....Contact the local Army recruter or National Guard Commanding Officer in the area you intend to shoot in and try your plan out on them.

The military does provide 'certain vehicles' for movie & documentry productions if you meet their guidelines.

2cents

emr

Misspell, I offered a few things the pros do, if U take offense to this, After your first professional response was appropriate and appreciated,( I am happy to debate U all day on this new answer,) maybe you are a bit jealous , sorry and again no disrespect, But why would U take offense to what all other companies do for legit people renting to them, Fox has nothing to do with what they ALL do, I have done comedy skits for guys with a hand held camera for cash ,that never made it to print, But I wil say they all asked for a break, but understood there would be a rental and expenses, i have been in SALT and a few others on the other side , i have covered the cheapest and , well the pros as U say, ALL were up and up , the new guys always asked when they did not know, U did also, u gave a great first response, But U being 26 is showing big time in your last one, Since I have done your size and up i actually have the answers for U anytime any day.

rickf , Of course we want U at our show and everyone else, I can debate all day with those i disagree with and still like and respect them, If U can't I have no prob with that either. Please notice like your last thread said, I was only answering U about the fact we should have trouble sleeping for handling rentals like the business it is,It is a business,And i only answered, and if an accident or injury and or vehicle damage occurs, U will find out hard how the nice guy saying thanks for doing it for free , says, sorry U are on your own, and possibly u will be owned my some insurance company suing U to death, I never sent a barb about U not knowing , only a little shy on what it takes to be a wanted person by the industry, a stunt driver does not give U the experience in the rental field, But from your other posts , I feel u will come back with something U have done that does, As for the term scab, U mentioned your book was taken from u from taking work not sanctioned by the union, That is not a very good argument for not having that term used, But it was a term used in general, not directed at U to hurt, just what happens when others run in for free, " To do a movie, Most get a rude awakening, ... This conversation to me is all about learning what to do, and what not to do, I hope others are mature enough to see that, But we are all human , and a discussion over key boards is not the same as face to face, but I want all to know, When I state something as a fact, It is as i know it from experience, and i often say in threads, My opinion, Here has been facts, and strong opinion, Dont do it without payment , it actually protects U, dont do it with out knowing there is a blanket coverage in effect to cover U for damage and loss, U have the right to ask for a copy of insurance, any reputable place will have it sent to u, If its a distance more than an hour ask for help to get it there, if it stays over, actually look at the place it will be stored, Most will be happy to let U be the driver, U have the right to be there every time your vehicle is used, U dont have the right to tell them what they are doing is not correct in any way, best advise is come when asked, and stay clear and watch its fun with the right attitude .... :) Personally arguing is all ego, thats not for me... but I sure can if anyone wants to, :) off line is more fun if interested :):):)

Last edited:

pad_cdr

Maybe you should leave the coasts and move to the middle of the country. I'd be happy to let you use my MVs for free, would drive them for you, and would probably not worry about fuel reimbursement unless I had to burn over a half tank.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks