• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How About A V8?

dittle

#1 reason not to do it: 3053 is a 300 ft lb transmission, it's tough but is already being stressed. as for the overdrive issue, just hold your breath a little longer, it's still on the way.

i would use a 9 litre international from the mid 80's

tom
Thats a good idea Tom. The 414 or 466 are both very good engines. We ran the crap out of ours on the farm (turned up way over factory) and never had an issue with them. Plus no electronics to have to mess with.

nhdiesel

My aunt's GMC K2500 With a Duramax has had minor problems. All EPA regulated stuff. I would not put any of that on there. I hate wrining, but could do it. Plus with a HyperPack will add tons of power. You can run Kanola oil and make tons of power. Two Stacks and turbo's. As long as it is loud, I don't care. Plus IT'S ONE OF A KIND.
I know about 6 people with Duramax's, 5 of them have been in the shop for major issues. The last is used by a contractor who's only had it several months and pulls a small trailer. By major issues, I mean turbos, injectors, oiling issues (check into the #8 cam bearing that likes to spin and block oil to the turbo, requires engine replacement if under warranty, major rebuild if off), and if its an earlier engine, bad head gaskets & cracked heads. That isn't getting into the minor issues, such as EGR problems.

Like I said previously, the engine does make good power, and if it was still under warranty I'd say run it and let the dealer handle any issues. But its not something I would go out of my way to swap into something.

My father had fun with his when it quit the day before he was due to go to PA to tow home a truck, and had to make last minute plans to head down with a Deuce instead. His truck spent quite a bit of time at the dealer before they could get it running again. Its pretty bad when a 26k mile truck has to be towed to the shop, and you end up taking a nearly 40 year old truck in its place.

For what its worth I'm not all that brand loyal...I dislike all of the new diesels, the reliability has really gone down on all of them since they were choked out with all of the EPA add-ons.

Jim

Goose2448

That's why I would use the base engine. No EPA crap. The only major issue you listed was oiling. The rest you can fix in the driveway. I have heard of problems, but GM extended alot of warrantys to 20 years and 200,000 miles. That's a long time. Still be COOL.

nhdiesel

Why would you think 3053 would work with a Dmax?
They believe the specified torque rating of a transmission, without really understanding the ratings. 2 problems with that- 1. Transmissions are severely underrated. 2. The torque rating applies to what the transmission could handle if there was NO slippage at all. In other words, if the wheels were locked in place and absolutely could NOT turn, and the engine was revved to max. power, the transmission wouldn't come apart. Of course that will never happen in the real world, and if it ever did, other weak links will show up, such as drive shafts and u-joints.

Using your head when you drive, and knowing how to shift, will make even a weak transmission handle big power. Pickup owners do it all the time, when they take a low-rated NV4500 behind a Cummins, hop up the engine to make 800+ lbs. of torque, then pull 20k+ lb. trailers every day. They still make the little NV4500 live for years.

Many medium duty transmissions used for fleet over the road use in 30k+ lb. trucks aren't rated much higher than the 3053a. Problems with a bad 3053a can usually be traced back to an inexperienced driver hammering on it and really abusing it at some point in it's life.

Jim

surewriting

only 8? go for 12! the bmw 750il has a 12-cylinder that puts out like crazy. Im not sure on the numbers, but I know my stepdad has one of these things and it just flat out goes- puts the ricer street racer wannabees on the highways to shame. It would take a heck of a lot of fabbing, and wiring, but if you want something different, there ya go. some of these cars can be had on craigslist for about $2000 ($90000 new- crazy).

that would be interesting to see, to say in the least!

nhdiesel

We should come up with a thread (unless its been done somewhere) listing all engines that could realistically be swapped into a Deuce. Not that the multifuel is a bad engine...I like it...but just showing options. Nothing stupidly large, but realistic possibilities of medium-duty diesels that would work. Anything too heavy can be eliminated...maybe anything over around 1800 lbs. Just some quick possibilities (no particular order) are: Ford/Navistar V-8 diesels, larger Perkins diesels, Cummins 5.9 and 8.3, some V-6 Detroits, Duramax, Chevy 6.5 (although a bit small), 6-cyl. Deutz (the liquid cooled ones), smaller Cat engines, inline Isuzu and Mitsubishi engines (yea, foreign, but still great engines), and others are available. Most of these engines either come with, or can be adapted to, the SAE pattern of the Deuce transmission. For those who want to, swapping the transmission at the same time would be simple. I left out details and model numbers, I just wanted to name a few options.

Lots of possibilities, and I like thinking outside the box.

Jim

PorscheTech911

only 8? go for 12! the bmw 750il has a 12-cylinder that puts out like crazy. Im not sure on the numbers, but I know my stepdad has one of these things and it just flat out goes- puts the ricer street racer wannabees on the highways to shame. It would take a heck of a lot of fabbing, and wiring, but if you want something different, there ya go. some of these cars can be had on craigslist for about $2000 ($90000 new- crazy).

that would be interesting to see, to say in the least!
This is a cool idea for a car, but not for one of these trucks. The M70 only puts out about 270hp and about the same in torque, which is good, but it's just not got the grunt or reliability of a diesel. Trust me I specialize and love V-12's. I have a ferrari V-12 block with a plate of plexiglas on top as a coffee table :razz:

Chinookpilot77

A built 4bt would be perfect for a deuce that spent most of its time offroad.

We here on SS have a habit of poo pooing ideas that go against the embodiment of what a deuce should be...ie, power windows, modern engines, heated seats...that kinda thing.

A duramax would make a fine engine, and so would any myriad of others, bottom line, its your truck. I say, put whatever engine you want to in it, but be sure to take LOTS of pictures and post them on here so we can all see how its done, in detail!

nhdiesel

The stock 4bt specs are actually pretty close to a MF. I laugh that my Durango (with swapped in 4bt) puts out as much as the Deuce. Using an intercooler, turning up the fuel, and a larger turbo, the little 4 cyl. would actually put out a lot more than the MF does in stock form! And think how much lighter it is!

I don't know if I'd bother swapping one in though...if going to the work, I'd just do it's big brother, the 5.9. I would miss the MF though, especially being able to run various fuels through it. While I run a bit of used motor oil through the Durango, the MF can handle it much better and in larger quantities.

Jim

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
at least 3 members here have put cat 3208 engines in including myself. by 9 litre i was referring to the V8 of the mid 80's, just about the right size and power.

surewriting

Or you could put in an old vw beetle air-cooled engine, and if youre lucky, the truck might actually move a foot or two! lol

I second the jet-turbine. id like to see that come to life- i think it was the early 60s/70s GM ran some tests on jet-turbine powered semis and cars- I saw it in an old, old popular mechanics issue somewhere- I dont remember the results, but I think it was 'more trouble than its worth'. and pretty recently, a crazy guy out in california put a jet turbine in the back of a new vw bug, and it technically qualifies as a hybrid! :roll: check it out on the googlebox, its a pretty funny read

Goose2448

In the early 60's Chrylser built a few jet turbine powered cars. They did not get out of the protype phase. I think that there is only one left. There are a few bikes with some big turbines in them. They are REALY FAST. You could use a turbine from a M1A2 Abrams Tank. 1500 hp with a posibilty of 2000 hp. You would need to come up with a transmision and beef up the T-case and axels. You might get the Deuce over 100 mph. You would also need a tanker for a fuel tank. The Abrams only gets about 440 yards a gallon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks