• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How About A V8?

Snarky

How much torque does the MF put out? It's got the horsepower of a Honda Accord with the torque of what? A medium duty truck or a pickup?

Last edited:

Flat Black

GM has never owned Isuzu, though they have been stockholders at various levels over the years. They have had a long standing partnership with them and yes the Duramax IS an Isuzu engine. It was built by them for General Motors. The Duramax is not built by GM and is therefore not a GM engine. The F series Isuzu cabover trucks have a 7.8L inline six and it says Duramax right on the valve cover. Its a series of engines, not just the 6.6L in the Chevy trucks that most people are familiar with. Now that GM is owned by the US Treasury Department, we will see if this relationship continues.

That said, it would be a different and interesting swap into a deuce and many of the electronic issues could be handled by swapping an entire engine, transmission and transfer case from a wrecked GM truck into your deuce. I have seen them installed into a late 60's C-10 pickup and a 69 Camaro, so it can be put into a "simple" vehicle. Aftermarket cases from Atlas, Stak or Lo-Max are also options.

As long as you arent rock crawling or pulling a 50k trailer, you should be fine with those components. Xtreme 4x4 swapped one into a Suburban/Hummer kit truck thing they built and when I spoke with Ian about it, he said it ran like a scalded dog, even towing a trailer. At least 700hp and well over 1000 pound feet of torque, with only a touch of black smoke :D

The last iteration of the ISB3.9L made 170hp and 420 pound feet of torque and weighs about 700 pounds without fluids or accessories. It is basically the 5.9L with two cylinders chopped out of the middle and can be had with the famous Bosch P7100 inline pump, often called a P-Pump. They can be tuned to make 250-300 hp very easily and almost double that in torque.

To calculate torque at the rear wheels (gears multiply torque) you would take 330 pound feet, times 6:1 first gear in the 3053 transmission, times 6.72 rear axle ratio, which equals 13,305 pound feet of torque. With a locker or even traction, this is split about equally between the driven wheels/tires. If the transfer case were engaged into low range, you would also multiply by 2, giving you 26,610 pound feet of torque, which is now being split between all driven axles and tires equally, depending on conditions.

Last edited:

Proud-American

GM has never owned Isuzu, though they have been stockholders at various levels over the years. They have had a long standing partnership with them and yes the Duramax IS an Isuzu engine. It was built by them for General Motors. The Duramax is not built by GM and is therefore not a GM engine. The F series Isuzu cabover trucks have a 7.8L inline six and it says Duramax right on the valve cover. Its a series of engines, not just the 6.6L in the Chevy trucks that most people are familiar with. Now that GM is owned by the US Treasury Department, we will see if this relationship continues.
Thats not true in regards to the 6.6L duramax, It has always been built in GM's Moraine Ohio powertrain plant.

Flat Black

Tanner

There's a reason everyone else uses the Cummins for the repower. The Duramax doesn't hold up the way the Cummins does and you'll have a hard time convincing people otherwise IMHO. Plus the Duramax is an Isuzu engine.......thats just wrong putting a rice burner in a Deuce :twisted:
...unless it's a B-Series built from Cummins' foreign affiliates... :-D

'Tanner'

Tanner

The plant is the joint venture between the two of them and is techically owned by DMAX Ltd, which is a Japanese corporation. Some sources indicate that GM has since sold its interest in DMAX to AmGen to pursue their own diesel power plant:

ISUZU:Isuzu U.S. Engine Plant "DMAX" Built 500,000th Diesel Engine

ISUZU:Isuzu U.S. Engine Plant DMAX builds 1 millionth diesel engine

Now back on topic, who is going to be the first one to put one of these into a deuce? :D
GM had planned to release a 4.5 liter ''Baby" D-Max motor, but it has been 'indefinitely postponed' for the time being... was tentatively scheduled for production at GM’s Tonawanda Engine Plant near Buffalo, N.Y.

The 4.5-liter Duramax was a major innovation for diesel engines. It was designed by GM entirely in-house and represented a radical new approach to diesel engine architecture. It reversed the intake and exhaust relative to a conventional diesel so fresh air would enter the cylinders from the outer edges of the cylinder heads while exhaust gases were dumped between the cylinder heads directly into a turbocharger. The breakthrough design eliminated the intake and exhaust manifolds and other related components, saving weight, reducing size and lowering costs by up to an estimated $600 per engine versus a conventional diesel. GM promised power ratings for the 4.5-liter Duramax would be more than 310 horsepower and 520 pounds-feet of torque with up to 25 percent better fuel economy.

The 6.6-liter V-8 Duramax is rated at 660 pounds-feet of torque and 365 hp.

'Tanner'

Goose2448

Quote from above: To calculate torque at the rear wheels (gears multiply torque) you would take 330 pound feet, times 6:1 first gear in the 3053 transmission, times 6.72 rear axle ratio, which equals 13,305 pound feet of torque. With a locker or even traction, this is split about equally between the driven wheels/tires. If the transfer case were engaged into low range, you would also multiply by 2, giving you 26,610 pound feet of torque, which is now being split between all driven axles and tires equally, depending on conditions.[/quote]

I have studied this in a Physics Class I am taking. This method can by found in the articals by Brain Beckman "The Physics of Racing". Take engine torque and multiply by the Trans gear, then by the transfer case, and the rear gear. Then divide the tire dimerianter ( in Feet). For a Deuce you would multiply by the number of axels. I also used 305 ft-lb of torque. Trans Case 1.99. Tire size 3.33 ft. There are 3 axels. 1st ratio 6.00. The 7500 ft-lb torque came form just the rear axels. The 23,000 is from all axels in LOW gear. I also have a note book with all the info and calculations. I would only use a 6.6L nothing else. I stated that GM must have owned Izuzu only because they came out with a line of SUV's that were identical to the TrailBlazer. Duramax is probly owned by GM and is a parts supplier to them and others just like there other suppliers. They make lots of power and can makes tons more. Chevys are not bulit by GM but they are GM Veichals. GM does not build anything. They are just a corporation that owns a lot of small corporation. AC Delco parts are not built by GM but GM owns them. IN MY BOOK ANYTHING GM USES IS A GM PART.

Last edited:

nhdiesel

The several articles I've read about the axing of the smaller diesels (Toyota & Ford were working on them as well) told that it was because of the new EPA regulations passed recently. The engines won't meet the new requirements thanks to the feds.

Lets hear it for the Govt...give the auto industry billions with the bailouts, then drive them bankrupt with regulations.

Jim

tm america

spicer 3053 uses a sae 2 bellhousing and duramax uses a new style chevy bellhousing totally different and everyone i know that has a duramax has had the injectors and heads done at least once.as far as the mf motor i thought the idea of an engine swap was to gain power and torque.i would go with a lds or cummins .cummins would be my first choice other than that probably a mercedes turbo diesel since they are a high reving motor .dont beat me up to bad for that one :roll:but the 5cyl merecedes diesel i just put in my tractor puts out 130hp and over 300ft ld of torque and revs over 4000rpm.i can just imagine what a 6cyl mercedes would be like in there:?:maybe one for a sprinter since they get about 22-24mpg in those heavy vans

Goose2448

I have heard about the injectors and heads but never known anyone who has had those problems, only the EPA stuff. One had a dirty air fliter and everyone thought it was injectors or heads or fuel. Always check the easy stuff first. Nice to Know about the Bellhousing but there proberly will be a conversion kit out there someday!

tm america

one of my friends bought a duramax when they first came out .one of it,s safety features was to put the trans in neutral when the truck is overloaded .wow that was great he hooked his trailer up and truck wouldnt even move he unhooked it took the truck straight back to the dealer and got a gas motor with out the allison trans.

nhdiesel

I've never heard of that one, my father has grossed over 40k going into the sawmill with his '06. (before I hear crap over the weight, its about 1 mile on a private dirt road, under 30 mph). I'll take the Allison any day, I just hate the d-max.

Jim

tsmall07

I wouldn't run it simply because it is a v8. V8s only have 5 main bearings. Inline 6 engines have 7 main bearings. They're much stronger in general, will last longer, and can stand up to heavy duty operations.

Last edited:

LanceRobson

Go for broke! Stretch the front end, add a spring leaf or two and drop in a Cummins QSK78. Sure, it weighs 25,000 pounds but it cranks out 3,500 HP and more than 10,000 pounds of torque! :twisted:

Seriously, has anyone used a DT466 or other DT engine with an AT? John Tennis tells me it should work but I don't know if it's been done.

Lance

PorscheTech911

My 2cents is go with the Caterpillar engine. I have worked on Cummins, Detroit/Mercedes/ International and so on, and I LOVE Caterpillar engines. They are much nicer and easier to deal with. Whenever I can FINALLY get hold of a deuce i'll be swapping in the CAT I have sitting in a crate here.:grin:

russ81

My 2cents is go with the Caterpillar engine. I have worked on Cummins, Detroit/Mercedes/ International and so on, and I LOVE Caterpillar engines. They are much nicer and easier to deal with. Whenever I can FINALLY get hold of a deuce i'll be swapping in the CAT I have sitting in a crate here.:grin:

What CAT engine do you have? I thought very seriously about putting one in my deuce, but settled on a 5.9 Cummins.

mudguppy

...The Abrams only gets about 440 yards a gallon.
eh, 504 gals with a 265 mile range gets you about 1/2 mpg (880 yards ;-)). but that's moving almost 70 tons - you'd probably get remarkable mileage moving 13k lbs... regenerative heat turbines are very efficient. :grin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks