• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How About A V8?

mudguppy

...Seriously, has anyone used a DT466 or other DT engine with an AT? John Tennis tells me it should work but I don't know if it's been done. ....
you'll find that you'll run out of length (eng + trans) real quick unless you relocate the transfer back about 2'. it shouldn't be a problem on a regular deuce, but would be a feat for a bob'd deuce. also, you'll have to stick the IC outside the front of the grill, as the DT466 is about as long as the MF.

i've mentioned that a dt466 would be a good candidate, though the dt360 would fit much better. the 6cta and 6bta are about the same as the DT's, dimensionally speaking. but if i were going small, i'd go 6bta. if i were going bigger, i'd choose the dt466 over the 6cta - the power upgrades are higher on the DT than on the 6cta.

KI4GSN

I think a DT444 (the basis for the Ford 7.3) or the DT466 would be good in terms of reliability and good power. The 5.9 Cummins would be very reliable. I think the newer motors (6.0 and 6.4 Ford, Duramax, Common Rail Cummins) would have WAY to much in the way of electronics to make them happy, especially when you start taking away components that the ECU is looking for (like pollution control). 2cents

mudguppy

There's a reason everyone else uses the Cummins for the repower. The Duramax doesn't hold up the way the Cummins does and you'll have a hard time convincing people otherwise IMHO. ...
just because that is the case doesn't make it true. it's a rep, just like anything other rep, it's not founded on actual truth.

you just have to compare apples/apples:

since there was no d-max until the end of the 2nd gen 5.9, i'll have to agree that the 5.9 was probably a bit more reliable - but not by much: the early d-max had injector and major cooling issues and the 5.9s had failing lift pumps that killed the IP. [since the d-max came out in around 2000, you just missed the end of the 53 blocks that would crack for no reason, otherwise the d-max would get this round.]

the next couple models of d-max had better injectors, but had head problems and sensor problems. well, the first year of the 3rd gen CR cummins had a ton of ECM and sensor problems as well. i say it's a wash.

the next d-maxs got better, and so did the '04+ CR cummins. i'd say 'wash'.

then the 6.7 cummins... there wasn't much that worked right on that motor for a while. d-max is the hands down winner for this round. :roll:

i'm just pointing out that reps aren't everything [ford 6.0s are all lemons, right? well, my 'invincible' 7.3 had me stranded thrice and my 6.0 hasn't had a hiccup]. pit a 12v cummins to a late model d-max - not a fair fight for the "who's going to leave me on the side of the road" game. cummins won't have sensor issues, but the d-max is unlikely to go down for an overflow valve, stuck DV, stuck injector, etc.

it's all a game. i'd like to see a d-max in a deuce because i think it'd be BA and would probably haul like a mother'.

all that said; my repower project is a 5.9 cummins. :grin:

:beer:

mudguppy

... I think the newer motors ... would have WAY to much in the way of electronics ... when you start taking away components that the ECU is looking for (like pollution control). 2cents
well, you can't just unplug and unbolt stuff - you have to do it right. the new 6.4 was going to be hack-proof: all the regional reps said that it was going to be impossible for the truck to run with the DPF and sensors removed.

well, the fix for that is a simple re-flash away... folks are doing that (Ferds, Chebys, and CR Goats) every day.

it's not hard, more time consuming. but, i agree that it would be far too much work for me to want to try and tackle it. maybe i'm just too skeer'd of electronics though.

Boosted_Nelson_Inc.

In my experience the later Duramax motors are relatively trouble free. My company 2005 K3500 which regularly pulls 48' goose neck trailers, 40' 5th wheel toy haulers and lots of travel trailers and boats (we repo peoples toys) runs just fine. The truck has 301,124 miles as of yesterday and has had 2 mechanical failures. The injector wiring harness has gone out twice and the truck had to run in limp mode (maybe 1/8-1/4 throttle output and like 1800 rpm limit). I think it's like a $500 repair at a GM dealership. The truck gets abused. The other drivers don't let it warm up, or let the turbo cool down before shutdown. It probably averages 15k-20k miles between oil changes. It still pulls 17K lb 5th wheels down the road at 70+ mph like a new truck.

In my opinion the D-Max is an excellent motor. Would I put one in a deuce? Probably not. Simpler is better as far as MVs are concerned. Personally I want a 3126 Cat in a deuce. Or a 12V 5.9 Cummins. Or a LDS Multi-Fuel motor.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One gentleman put a 454 chevy V8 in and was very pleased with the speed and power. he did put back the multi later for some reason but it was not clear other than he wanted to burn diesel. Somone else here put a big block mopar in a deuce and used it for mudding.

sti-nkr

On the Duramax issue, I have a 2009 LMM, GREAT TRUCK, the only issues I've had were my own fault or chevrolets fault. I froze my programmer once, fixed that and my front door was hitting my rear door. other than that, there is 18,XXX happy miles on my truck with half of them towing at least 7,000 pounds. I run an Edge Race evolution programmer with an MBRP 4" turbo-back, K&N intake system, other than the truck is stock.

I think it would be a tight fit given the duramax has HUGE radiator and intercooler, and it needs them, my truck regularly gets up to 198* or so.

oldshep

I think a 300 Ford 6 would be a great engine in my bobbed duece. Great engines. And cheap! But I like the multi. I am curious how much power its making after i bypassed the fdc. More than enough power now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks