• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydrolocked, big repair ahead.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably not the chain, I was countering the notion it was beyond having valve interference because it was not a "modern" engine, not may HMMWVs have enough miles on them to have a bad chain but it is one of the things that Detroit could have, should have fixed when they re-designed the even more piss poor 5.7L diesel.
International went to gears AND a 360 rear seal in the 40s GM has had their thumb up there butt for many decades, they had to buy Isuzu to get some folks that knew how to design engines really sad how incompetent they were for so many years...
When GM came out with a decent engine (the Isuzu designed Duramax) in 2000 they only had about 4% of the domestic diesel pickup market.
it could be a valve stuck with something and it hit the piston something i noticed when i removed the lifters on the driver side is that none of them had pressure on it while when i removed the passenger side definitely was pressure in a couple of them.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ouch!! obviously something got loose in there!! that would require extensive testing before it could be rebuilt, another engine would be more practical.

blutow

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to salvage that piston...

I have not seen too many pics of hydrolock damage, but the rods will typically bend pretty bad before a piston would come apart like that. That rod actually looks straight to me, but it's hard to tell for sure in the pic. Something was banging around in there, but hard to say if that's where it started or ended. I guess a hydrolock could have broken up that piston and then the impact damage happened, but that's not what it looks like to me. What do the valves/head surface on that cylinder look like?

+1 on finding another motor to swap in unless you have a friend at a machine shop.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The last of the original pictures looks like a hole in the cylinder wall, there are several reasons never to use a block and crank out of any engine that has had this kind of damage even if the cylinder was OK, the main journal webbing could have fractures, the crank could have fractures or actually be bent.
Now if it was a RARE engine it may be worth all the inspection work necessary but not on something this common.

Reactions: 98G

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is kind of interesting, you can see that the screw held the valve open causing a valve strike, then it proceeded into the cylinder causing all kinds of havoc.
What does the head look like???

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ouch!! obviously something got loose in there!! that would require extensive testing before it could be rebuilt, another engine would be more practical.
a exhaust or escape valve stem broke and the valve head destroyed the piston. part of the stem punctured he head.
checking now what would be the best route of action, a friend of a friend is removing a 6.5 turbo freshly rebuilt to install a cummings, will check price with him.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm pretty sure you won't be able to salvage that piston...

I have not seen too many pics of hydrolock damage, but the rods will typically bend pretty bad before a piston would come apart like that. That rod actually looks straight to me, but it's hard to tell for sure in the pic. Something was banging around in there, but hard to say if that's where it started or ended. I guess a hydrolock could have broken up that piston and then the impact damage happened, but that's not what it looks like to me. What do the valves/head surface on that cylinder look like?

+1 on finding another motor to swap in unless you have a friend at a machine shop.
actually i thought it was hydro-lockedd when i noticed the coolant reservoir empty. it was an exhaust valve broken that caused all the damage.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
a exhaust or escape valve stem broke and the valve head destroyed the piston. part of the stem punctured he head.
checking now what would be the best route of action, a friend of a friend is removing a 6.5 turbo freshly rebuilt to install a cummings, will check price with him.
That sounds like a solid plan!

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The last of the original pictures looks like a hole in the cylinder wall, there are several reasons never to use a block and crank out of any engine that has had this kind of damage even if the cylinder was OK, the main journal webbing could have fractures, the crank could have fractures or actually be bent.
Now if it was a RARE engine it may be worth all the inspection work necessary but not on something this common.
soooooo, not worth repairing?

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is kind of interesting, you can see that the screw held the valve open causing a valve strike, then it proceeded into the cylinder causing all kinds of havoc.
What does the head look like???
i have not found any screws as of yet, but i found the spring of the oil ring stuck to the top and side of piston. definetly the escape/exhaust valve was broken so it does not lead me to screw/bolt ingestion but more valve stuck due to time unused?????.... ingestion and valve stuck would be more on the intake valve instead of exhaust valve. i was not missing any of my screws/bolts, however after further disessambly i have found all kinds of nuts, screws, bolts, clamps all around the vehicle or engine bay (none on the engine itself)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks