• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydrolocked, big repair ahead.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yeah but.... how do i know the history of a take out? what about if the block is also shot?
You will get limited amount of information on it. I would probably do a new or rebuilt long block if I was in the same spot. I have a non runner coming so I might be.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To fit a turbo motor into a non-turbo truck you have to add some spacers to the body. It's approx 1/2" lift that is needed, so not all that complicated.
Then will need to acquire the turbo doghouse cover.
Not sure if you really have to use a different wire harness or not.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To fit a turbo motor into a non-turbo truck you have to add some spacers to the body. It's approx 1/2" lift that is needed, so not all that complicated.
ahhh, good information i was planning on lifting the body a bit more anyways. will try to educate myself into this. is it worth the upgrade? i see i will only gain probably 30 HP on this swap. have you done it?

springer1981

They aren't that hard to find ... ESP usually has a few listed. here's an example https://www.easternsurplus.net/Part...-6-Point-5-Liter-General-Motors-Diesel-Engine

Turbo https://www.easternsurplus.net/Part...eneral-Motors-Diesel-Engine-TurboGEP-Navistar

Search epay for GEP Diesel and you'll get a few.

Another example https://www.machinio.com/listings/5...-with-v-belt-pulleys-hmmwv-in-philadelphia-pa

Here's your new or rebuilds https://www.6-5liter.com/civilian-h-1-or-military-hmmwv/

Not to mention you could post some wanted adds on various forums or ask some of the regulars here if they know of anyone with some take outs.

That all took me like 5 minutes to find and there were tons more results.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They aren't that hard to find ... ESP usually has a few listed. here's an example https://www.easternsurplus.net/Part...-6-Point-5-Liter-General-Motors-Diesel-Engine

Turbo https://www.easternsurplus.net/Part...eneral-Motors-Diesel-Engine-TurboGEP-Navistar

Search epay for GEP Diesel and you'll get a few.

Another example https://www.machinio.com/listings/5...-with-v-belt-pulleys-hmmwv-in-philadelphia-pa

Here's your new or rebuilds https://www.6-5liter.com/civilian-h-1-or-military-hmmwv/

Not to mention you could post some wanted adds on various forums or ask some of the regulars here if they know of anyone with some take outs.

That all took me like 5 minutes to find and there were tons more results.

thanks, yes, i was looking at some of those i also came across. will start my search in the morning and will try to find out waht will be better for me. have to wait until saturday to talk to a friend of a friend that will take a turbo out. that will be the final point for dsicions

Action

Just go to a junkyard and spend $300. Swap the accessories over to the junkyard engine. They usually come with a 30 day warranty.
Are you thinking about a rebuild just because someone that will make money from doing the work told you it is a good idea?

Action

And lower fuel tank and modify tunnel opening at doghouse and...

blutow

How in the word did a lifter get into the cylinder?
It's one of those new-fangled roller pistons...

Likely a cam failure allowed the lifter to drop into the crankcase and then kick up into the bore. However it ended up there, I'd bet the rest of that engine had some serious structural damage.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just go to a junkyard and spend $300. Swap the accessories over to the junkyard engine. They usually come with a 30 day warranty.
Are you thinking about a rebuild just because someone that will make money from doing the work told you it is a good idea?
no, not really. i was thinking about a rebuilt because everything in this engine sounds really tight compression wise and everything else is new. the rebuilt was going to be done by me with a friend that would not charge me for it or would charge me very little

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
moving forward with updates, i spoke tooday to the friend of the friend and i am buying the freshly rebuilt turbo from him, complete with transmission. so i guess this is the route to go, any help or ideas on how you guys have done this swap and what is needed will be really appreciated

Action

moving forward with updates, i spoke tooday to the friend of the friend and i am buying the freshly rebuilt turbo from him, complete with transmission. so i guess this is the route to go, any help or ideas on how you guys have done this swap and what is needed will be really appreciated
body lift, fuel tank drop, body modification, turbo doghouse, possibly new body wiring harness, possibly new engine harness, TCM. new brake switch, use correct temp sensor and oil pressure sender that match your gauges, possibly different propshafts, new transmission crossmember, ...

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
body lift, fuel tank drop, body modification, turbo doghouse, possibly new body wiring harness, possibly new engine harness, TCM. new brake switch, use correct temp sensor and oil pressure sender that match your gauges, possibly different propshafts, new transmission crossmember, ...
What kind of body modifications are we talking about?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you already have a 4 speed then I think it is rather easy, the 1/2" body lift should not require a fuel tank drop, you would need a turbo doghouse, the wire harness should not be a problem, there will be some things that need tweaking, having the correct down pipe will make things much easier and possibly some intake parts. Try to get everything the guy is not going to use in his conversion, should be all of the exhaust etc. etc.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you already have a 4 speed then I think it is rather easy, the 1/2" body lift should not require a fuel tank drop, you would need a turbo doghouse, the wire harness should not be a problem, there will be some things that need tweaking, having the correct down pipe will make things much easier and possibly some intake parts. Try to get everything the guy is not going to use in his conversion, should be all of the exhaust etc. etc.
Yes, i already have the 4-speed transmission. I don't think the guy have the exhaust down pipe, but i can source that one. I was planning to do the 2" lift anyway. He will give me the wire harnes, the computer, engine with transmission, winch hydraulic pump, power steering pump, alternator freshly rebuilt, and of course the engine freshly rebuilt with a brand new turbo.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, i already have the 4-speed transmission. I don't think the guy have the exhaust down pipe, but i can source that one. I was planning to do the 2" lift anyway. He will give me the wire harnes, the computer, engine with transmission, winch hydraulic pump, power steering pump, alternator freshly rebuilt, and of course the engine freshly rebuilt with a brand new turbo.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Then you will have to do a fuel tank drop and also mod the area where the steering leaves the body to the steering box, but that is not too much work...

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The turbo has a bigger hole under doghouse. You will need to cut the tunnel top to give clearance for the back of engine.
Do you have any pictures of that? I am about to do a turbo motor conversion.
I am also told the GEP has a lower profile intake manifold and the 1/2" body lift may not be needed.