• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydrolocked, big repair ahead.

springer1981

that actually is the mark of the spring on the oil ring, it was destroyed as well and stuck on top and one side.
originally an exhaust/escape valve broke and caused all the damages..
I guess but I don't think an oil spring would do that much damage to the surface. I'm not sure what they look like in one of these motors but that does look like threads. I was only guessing based on past experience with similar type of catastrophe.

blown1.jpg

blown4.jpg

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess but I don't think an oil spring would do that much damage to the surface. I'm not sure what they look like in one of these motors but that does look like threads. I was only guessing based on past experience with similar type of catastrophe.

View attachment 861180
yes, in your case it is right there, an Allen type bolt.
now, it could be mine had a bolt lose somewhere or someone dropped it inside, remember i bought mine as a non runner. probably that was the problem all along and it was sitting in their yard for god knows how long. anything is possible here, but for sure the exhaust valve broken on than cylinder

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The screw could have passed into the cylinder and then it OR a piece of the now breaking up piston could have jammed in the exhaust valve causing the valve strike which broke the valve.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Curious, do the exhaust valves have a smooth head or does it have "rings"? Looks kinda like some of those "thread" marks are forming a 360.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The screw could have passed into the cylinder and then it OR a piece of the now breaking up piston could have jammed in the exhaust valve causing the valve strike which broke the valve.
Also a possibility, who knows. what i k ow is that i need a solution now. repair or new/rebuilt engine? my friend was suggesting to get a cummins in it but i really don't want to get into that

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Curious, do the exhaust valves have a smooth head or does it have "rings"? Looks kinda like some of those "thread" marks are forming a 360.
i have to check into it in the morning. the damage was so big that the valve flipped and the stem punctured and passed through the head. i was removing the injectors today and the piece fell from the hole

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
so, now the question here. Repair the exisitng, buy rebuilt, buy a take out? can i install a turbo model in a non turbo truck? what is needed if i go this route?

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
so, now the question here. Repair the exisitng, buy rebuilt, buy a take out? can i install a turbo model in a non turbo truck? what is needed if i go this route?
That block is done! I would find a take out or go new or you friends engine. That block is not fixable and probably has other issues.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That block is done! I would find a take out or go new or you friends engine. That block is not fixable and probably has other issues.
definetly i am more inclined to do an engine swap however, i was told by a reputable diesel shop (another friend) that the repair can be done by rectifing that cylinder and inserting a new cylinder sleeve in it

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
definetly i am more inclined to do an engine swap however, i was told by a reputable diesel shop (another friend) that the repair can be done by rectifing that cylinder and inserting a new cylinder sleeve in it
Probably get a good block for the cost of the repair. Blocks are plentiful

springer1981

The easiest and probably the cheapest repair is a drop in take out engine. Upgrades, swaps and turbos will take much more time and money. Keep posting picture of the progress and good luck!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do not try to have that block repaired and or crankshaft, it is just not worth it. you will not have any idea if they found all the possible issues this could have caused and or what they did find and repair will "hold". and as pointed out these are rather plentiful

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do not try to have that block repaired and or crankshaft, it is just not worth it. you will not have any idea if they found all the possible issues this could have caused and or what they did find and repair will "hold". and as pointed out these are rather plentiful
any suggestion on a block? were to get one from a reputable palce? do they come naked or wih crank shaft and pistons ? first tie doing this swap.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
any suggestion on a block? were to get one from a reputable palce? do they come naked or wih crank shaft and pistons ? first tie doing this swap.
I would look for a long block if I was looking for new or rebuilt and a take out should be almost complete. Look on gov planet because they had a few new engines in North Carolina last time I looked

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need a complete running engine, they are out there just be patient and you can find one, it is just not worth trying to build one, it will cost you several times what a decent used one would cost in parts and machine work alone.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need a complete running engine, they are out there just be patient and you can find one, it is just not worth trying to build one, it will cost you several times what a decent used one would cost in parts and machine work alone.
i see a lot of turbo's take out but Not NA, can i fit a turbo on in my truck?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks