• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

installing cargo tie-downs inside deuce bed

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone installed the military issue cargo tie-downs inside the bed. Not the ones that the cargo cover ties down to, but rather the round metal ones that some deuce beds have. Jim Gilmore called them "nuclear tie-downs", not sure why. One deuce I had had them welded in place, rather poor job of it because the circles were cut out raggedy with a torch. Just want to see if anyone had any luck installing them themselves.

My keeper deuce doesn't have any tie-downs inside the bed, flat sides only. This will make it difficult to haul large items, like the jeep, in the bed.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think he is talking about the recessed cargo tie downs that require a hole cut in the side of the bed.

Deuceswild

Re: RE: installing cargo tie-downs inside deuce bed

bigmike said:
I think he is talking about the recessed cargo tie downs that require a hole cut in the side of the bed.
These are the recessed cargo tie downs,the only difference is I did not want to cut out the huge holes needed to install the pockets in which these fit into.

RICE670

I did mine on the 3/4 tonner.I attached them with 1/4 inch structural rivets. I have the installation manual, the kits were designed for trucks and trailers used with specific missile systems.

Attachments

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
While the square or round recessed back plate is not the most attractive they do provide more surface area for the load to be spread over. Those bolts could pull out with too much load. I have some of the square ones I plane to install later. I often wonder about water getting trapped between the steel causing rust down the road if welded. Perhaps the rivit is a good idea. I think I would go with a bolt though. I don't have a choice about installing them though as I NEED tie down points. How much load are they supposed to be rated for?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure I'd trust them to secure a vehicle unless it was a Mite and I had lots of them. FWIW the round ones are factory installed and the square ones are kits. They are referred to as nuclear tiedowns becuase that was their primary use, securing nuclear ordinance in the beds of trucks and trailers. I picked up a 5 ton dropside bed using 2 diagonal tiedowns. I wasn't too thrilled about it but it did lift the bed. Both of the dropsides I just got have them factory installed on the tailgate but no where else.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been kickin' this around too. I got a couple of sets and want to install them in the truck and trailer.I instantly thought of a plasma cutter. Now that I have seen the way Jeff has installed them, I like it...small hole, able to use a hole saw. But, will the tiedowns be as strong installed w/o the original backing plate? Plus, they aren't flush with the inside of the bed, so, if an unsecured load catches the bolt that isn't below the surface of the bedside, will it bend the bed? I do have a good hole saw that is the correct size for the insert, but when they get that big, they can be hard to control and leave a jaged hole.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I understand that these are "military" items, but I installed some of that E-track in my M109 and it seems to be a much more versatile and easily used product. I got it from the Peterbuilt truck store here in Cincinnati for a reasonable price. I think if you gave it a shot, you would like it better.

nickd

I installed them on my deuce and used a hole saw to make a nice clean hole. Set up a template for the 1/4" pilot bit then go back and cut the holes. I do not remember the hole saw size I used but i think it was around 3.5 -4" in diameter. Be careful when handling the drill with the large holesaw as it can be a wrist breaker if it grabs.

Those tie downs are strong! I have used come alongs hooked to them and had no problems.

mangus580

I have a pile that I plan to do. My goal is to make the square part round, and hole saw the bed. A plasma cutter has come to mind, but you would want to make something to follow, or a compass of some sort to get the 'perfect' cut.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Mike, when I have a bunch of holes to cut with my plasma, I use a piece of plywood or particleboard as a template. You could use a self tapping screw to hold it in place.

nickd

There were/are round and square ones out there. The I saw a Canadian 416 trailer with the round back plate. I have the square back plates on my truck and 105 trailer.

ida34

We had those tie downs on our 900 series gun trucks. We did not routinely carry nuclear ord. Mostly HE and the such. We had egg crate structures for holding the projos and we used the tie down points to secure the crates. We were nuclear capable until the salt II talks brought an end to that.

CGarbee

I'll take some photos and will post them of the setup in my M35A2c... It has the recessed military tie down points on the bed sides (installed by Uncle Sugar) but, like Kenny, I don't trust them for heavy stuff like the MEP-005a's that I have been hauling recently, so I've also gotten some heavy duty D-rings bolted to the floor (reinforced underneath). The D-rings came from Agri-Supply and are the ones that you commonly see welded onto commercial tag trailers hauling equipment. The conner ones are set at 45 degree angles so that I am pulling straight on them when going to an item at an angle, and the "center" ones are actually located a foot in front of the centerline between the rear axles so that when I center an object on them the CG is slightly forward of the rear spring pivot.

nickd

I used the military tie downs to secure the extra 105 trailer inside the bed with a ratchet strap for my trip from Fort Dix to Delaware. Once I got home I used 2 come alongs hooked to the tie downs and lowered the trailer down on ramps to the ground with no problems. They also secure my mule in the back of the deuce for transport. I also have had other heavy loads secured to them with no issues.