• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Adventure

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New to the forum here..

Were flying out to Philadelphia to take delivery of a pristine M 1078 tonite.

After doing a Risk Assessment, we are driving it home.

This should be fun.. Text us at 775-901-3319 if we are in your area.. Also on Facebook at 'Point Man'.

Pointman0853

Last edited:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
philly to NV? that's a heck of a drive... hope your credit card has a high limit!

Take notes, take it slow. 55mph max. double check your lights on a regular basis. Post up here as you go, there are plenty of members throughout the US, they can provide assistance and help if there's an issue. (IF THERE IS! Post your phone number in the first post so the close guys can call or text... people tend to forget that.)

Last edited:

turnkey

Good going ...remember...read the Tm.s and plan for a great and safe recovery..welcome...also lots of ss members can give advice or help or both...post pics of the trip... KEEP US INFORMED OF THE TRIP...SAFE TRAVELS.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have a great time, Pointman. If you would want to post your intended route we lurkers can let you know where we are.

Is your truck coming from an individual who has checked out the truck? That is a lot better situation than picking up one at GovPl and heading cross country.

Bob

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site hobby and friendships. Brave journey that one. So all the very best and of course post up the details and pictures of your (long and uneventful) trip. as you go.

FloridaAKM

Welcome from Florida! Follow the postings from the above members & barring a visit from Murphy, you should be good to go. Your trip is going to be a long on for sure with lots of Diesel being burned, hope your credit card is in good shape!

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the positive Karma! Yes, the seller has performed the correct services and this is why I paid his price, vs. an immediate project from a depot.

A low-boy deliver was over $4,000 (way over!), so we planned for this adventure. I have good mechanical skills, so here we go. I have read, and downloaded the manuals on a thumb drive. I'll have plenty of time to re-read them on the trip.

Anyone know about buying key blanks so we can lock the doors. I'll keep a length of chain around the steering wheel for now..

George

gavland

Pa 1 hr north of phily. sounds like a long fun ride, better than driving a M900 series.
always good to have some oil for the peace of mind and just in case!! CAT motors are good on oil but you never know.
some pics would be cool as you go.

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm laughing as I read the manual on tire changing.. Knowing the lug nuts are at #400+ torque, I wonder how these guys would break these loose in the field?

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am near exit 96 on I-70 in Indiana just east of Indianapolis if you are traveling that way and will be home until Jan. 2nd.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm laughing as I read the manual on tire changing.. Knowing the lug nuts are at #400+ torque, I wonder how these guys would break these loose in the field?
Not bad at all. 100 lbs on the end of a 4 ft cheater bar. It's always good preparation to have a truck shop spin them loose with their 1" impact wrench and retorque. Some like a touch of anti-seize paste (I do).

The adventure may be underway!!?? Hope you can update regularly. I look forward to long trips in an LMTV also.

Bob

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would assemble a kit of all the high mortality parts in the air brake and hydraulic systems since all those p/n are now available buried in threads here. You will need them sooner or later.

Lmtv772

Banned
Thanks for the positive Karma! Yes, the seller has performed the correct services and this is why I paid his price, vs. an immediate project from a depot.

A low-boy deliver was over $4,000 (way over!), so we planned for this adventure. I have good mechanical skills, so here we go. I have read, and downloaded the manuals on a thumb drive. I'll have plenty of time to re-read them on the trip.

Anyone know about buying key blanks so we can lock the doors. I'll keep a length of chain around the steering wheel for now..

George
Welcome from Florida and good luck

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It won't go fast but is very comfortable on the road compared to other military trucks. Check fluids but you should be fine. They max out at around 57 but mileage is better at 53 or so. Having a flashing Amber light of some sort is a good idea when driving that speed on highway especially long distance. You can get something multi volt and tap into the running lights in back.

Ukraine Train

Enjoy the drive. I drove mine only 120mi when I picked it up and that was plenty! I'm on the south end of Cleveland with a machine shop if you need anything. As for keys, I took the handle with lock cylinder to a locksmith and he made keys to fit for around $35. They were Land Rover blanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks