• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Adventure

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW! What a nice truck. I'm guessing I'm not going to find one that looks that good. Actually I'm just hoping to find one in my price range (which I know won't look that good).

MaiNiaK

Ok... Well, it's been a busy day today. We picked up the truck this morning outside of Philadelphia. After quick stops at Harbor Freight (basic tools), and Pep Boys (wiper blades), we finally hit the PA turnpike around 1:00. We have finally quit for the day in Wheeling VA, and we are headed west in I-70.

The drive train appears to be trouble free so far. Thanks to the prior owner for taking care of it and being diligent with the maintenance.

My my list of '****-to-get' seems to be growing exponentially. It is missing the m-16 mounts and the tool box behind the passenger seat. The drivers seat belt latch is non-op, and I may try to swap out the latch from the gunners seat to get me buckled up.

I spent sowme time adjusting the drivers door in a fairly vain effort to close some gaps. It will need new door seals ( they look to be generic and sold by the foot?) and the windlass around the passenger window is missing, forcing my co-pilot, Point-wife , to stuff cardboard in it to prevent rattles.

The tires all have Schrader valves in them, and the CTIS module is disconnected. That I'll sort at home. The tires all seem to be overinflated, so I will check them in the morning at 55lbs in the hope that the ride will improve. The heater controls are missing knobs, so anyone who may have a source for those, and new door levers, feel free to PM me about them or any other items previously mentioned.

Back in in the road at the crack tomorrow. I'm enjoying all the waves and thumbs up we are getting. Maybe we'll see some of you on the way west!

Putting the ear phones to good use, and so far, no hemmrhoids..

Georgeo
Mine was also missing the door seals, I believe it was fairly common on the earlier trucks. Mine had an edge trim with no seal attached. Seals for both doors ran me about $96.
Not sure what you mean by windlass?
I know I've been looking for an outer driverside window sweep (bottom seal) for months. eBay had 1 passenger side inner at one point, but door parts are hard to come by.
The gun racks are a common part, available on said sight above ^^. And are fairly reasonably priced.
The tool boxes are available aswell but fetch a good price.
Heater knobs and fan switches are common aswell and pretty inexpensive.
If you are talking about inner door handles. Volvo handles and window cranks fit and come in many styles. Outer handles fetch a pricey amount.

My drivers seat belt buckle didn't work either. But I live in the country and don't wear one anyways.

Have a safe trip.
Nice looking truck..!!

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Home to Nevada!

Paul,

Please say thanks to your mechanic friend from the 'crazy' people from Nevada. We are staying tonight in Normal Il. Nothing 'normal' about our trip...
We are loving he thumbs up, and waves from folks we meet. Everyone has questions and we have met a lot of Vets who love the truck.

So far, no serious problems. I have checked the tires daily and we did air down a bit after a particularly bad section of highway. We are running 65 in he front and 70 in the rear. Rides like a 6 ton Caddy.. I'm tempted to pop the cab and check the oil, but it is in the 20's here and I'm lazy..

I'm surprised how it just fires up without any drama in the morning, even in these freezing temps.. It does take a while to fire up, and the duct tape help fill the drafty spots which seem to be everywhere. Lots of little minor issues to solve when we get home and get keys made too. Tonite, I'm trying to find out why the brights don't work. When I pull the lever, the main beams go dark..:?:

Buffy says Hi! She drove it a bit this evening, hopefully more tomorrow. That 2-3 shift gave her a bit of a start!

George

Last edited:

MaiNiaK

You can check the oil without tipping the cab.
Drivers side, behind front tire, lift the inner engine mud flap, it should be right there.

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Road trip logbook, 01/01/2016. Breakdown!��

New Year found us overnighting in Normal, Il. Starting was rough this morning due to the cold and no ether in the bottle.
after getting a mile from the hotel, we had a plume of anti freeze coming from the rt side. After turning around and parking at an O'Reillies, I found a loose coolant hose right on top. While under there I also gave everything a good going over and installed a couple of foam pads under the turbo boost return pipes that had been rattling around.
We are headed to Antique Archeology in Le Claire, Iowa for a quick visit. Those guys are total gear heads and this should be fun. After, we pick up I-80 headed west. I'm planning an all nighter, but my co-driver is protesting..

Would someone please text me what type of ATF I need in the Allison gearbox, I'm a couple of quarts low, thanks in advance! 775-901-3319

George and Buffy
West bound and down!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless the person you bought it from did a fluid change to ATF, the Allison should still have engine oil in it. I would not worry about 2 quarts low. I would also not recommend driving more than 12 hours without a night's rest. Recipe for disaster.

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Road trip logbook, 01/01/2016. Breakdown!��

New Year found us overnighting in Normal, Il. Starting was rough this morning due to the cold and no ether in the bottle.
after getting a mile from the hotel, we had a plume of anti freeze coming from the rt side. After turning around and parking at an O'Reillies, I found a loose coolant hose right on top. While under there I also gave everything a good going over and installed a couple of foam pads under the turbo boost return pipes that had been rattling around.
We are headed to Antique Archeology in Le Claire, Iowa for a quick visit. Those guys are total gear heads and this should be fun. After, we pick up I-80 headed west. I'm planning an all nighter, but my co-driver is protesting..

Would someone please text me what type of ATF I need in the Allison gearbox, I'm a couple of quarts low, thanks in advance! 775-901-3319

George and Buffy
West bound and down!
Tell Mike, Frank, and Danielle I said hello.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's kind of what I thought, 55 is fast enough! Enjoy the scenery. The true difference in time is insufficient, 250 miles only takes an extra hour comparing 55mph to 70mph.
But what type of mileage do you get at 55 with the higher gears?

I have never checked my mileage. Honest truth. I know from owning a couple old Land Cruisers that if I drive em at 55 I do much better than at 65 or 70 and I'm not offended by those who seem to be in a hurry to pass; I just let them. So I assume that there is some savings if I don't push this big vehicle as well. Some day I'll check it.

MaiNiaK

I can roll back roads (rural routes) flat footed, topping sixty, 45 climbing hills in a 55mph zone. I could see highway gears being a useful essential..!!

tburk49760

That's kind of what I thought, 55 is fast enough! Enjoy the scenery. The true difference in time is insufficient, 250 miles only takes an extra hour comparing 55mph to 70mph.
But what type of mileage do you get at 55 with the higher gears?
I just checked my mileage and regeared, I'm at 7.92. Mixed highway and city...

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update, 1/3/16.
Last evening we stayed in Green River, Wyoming. I should have left Brutus, one name choice, idling all nite. We were up at 5:30, on the road by 6:00. Trouble ensued shortly after with a coolant leak, in the cockpit! After a seeming eternity (10 Miles) I stopped at a truck pmaza and dug into the Update, 1/3/16.
Last evening we stayed in Green River, Wyoming. I should have left Brutus, one name choice, idling all nite. We were up at 5:30, on the road by 6:00. Trouble ensued shortly after with a coolant leak, in the cockpit! After a seeming eternity (10 Miles) we stopped at a truck plaza and I opened up the heater box. Just a cracked hose, but we lost an hour..
We just left Salt Lake and are 10 hours from home. Im glad, but kinda sad the odyssey is nearing a close..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks