• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Adventure

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I personally don't recommend the balancing powder, from my own experience with it in my RV tires. The previous owner put that stuff in the tires and I was unaware of it until the family was on a cross country road trip as a responsible person I would check tire pressure every other day or so and i keep getting slow leaks from the valve stem for some reason. Finally had a slow leak turn into a fast leak and caused a blow out. While getting the tires changed found all the small powder inside that was causing the valve stem to stick open. So as you are driving small particles get trapped in the valve stem then when you check tire pressure a small amount of air escapes pushing the small particles to get lodged in the valve stem causing the leaks. In best case scenario the vehicle is stopped and the particles settle to the bottom away from the stem but thats not always the case.

I can only imagine the problems it would cause to the CTIS when exhausting air from the tires. Especial while rolling at slow speeds and the particles are moving around inside the tire.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You would have to disable the ctis with the balancing stuff. Justin Whering said he had good luck with balancing tires I dont believe he used anything in the tires.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I'm not feeling good about putting anything loose into the tires if you have a functional ctis system. It will only lead to problems. The ctis valves have rubber flappers that hold air in the tire. A piece of something that comes out and gets stuck in the valve will cause a flat tire fast. And not a quick easy fix when it happens.

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Balancing Beads. My local big tire place says they use the balancing beads on all large semi's and RV with no issues as they settle to the bottom of the tire and do not move around.

I played around on the General Dynamics website last Friday and basically found the US military rep. contact info for Eaton. I have a message into him regarding balancing beads and CTIS. Lets ask the expert!

Today was spent reinstalling cab trim and heater parts after a marathon paint party in the garage last evening. I'll have to air it out before Pointwife gets home late tomorrow.. I also installed Road Kill sound mat on my door panels. I plan to add more to the cab as time permits. Gotta quiet this sucka down so i can hear tunes.. BTW, 'Rustoleum camo' in rattle cans is a perfect match for the colors in my woodland camo color scheme. The door latches are also installed and Now I can lock the beast. Next is installing a keyed starting switch.

Pointman

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I did a keyed momentary switch in place of the button. Be careful when pulling up the dash panel the trans ecu is behind the keypad and the plugs slip out of it very easily as you pull the dash panel up for access.

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Balancing Beads and CTIS function.

I received this response from Eaton this morning.

"I’m not aware of any testing performed using our system with balance beads. We have a 25-30 micron filter in the wheel valves (it looks like a little barrel) that helps block contamination. Depending on the size of the beads there is a potential for them to pack inside the barrel part of the filter and clog the passage that way. If the passage does get clogged it could definitely impact inflate and deflating functions."

Regards,

Brad Hennessey
Dana Holding Corporation
Aftermarket Sales
Export | Military

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The filter is on the air feed into the wheel valve from the truck. I have seen trucks with the filters removed before I got the truck presumably by the military.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Yes the banjo bolt line going to the ctis valve. The other hose coming off the valve going to a elbow into the wheel stem holds tire air. The wheel valve has a spring and round rubber flap. Spring holds flap against valve body and air stays in tire. Fill air coming in pushes spring and allows air into tire. 12 or so psi is just enough to hold the spring flap open to dump air. If a bead were to end up between the valve body and the flapper then no deal and the tire would go flat.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If you take the "banjo" hose off the wheel valve the filter just sits in the valve below the threads. Email me a pic of what splash guard part you want will atpawnking dotcom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks