• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1007 - CUCV Suburban Clone Build Thread

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well this was going to be the replacement engine.

It sure looks nice and shiney.

Just proves that old saying "Buyer Beware"

Picked it up from GL for a $210 bid.

Only issue is that it doesn't run. I wonder why?

Compression Check - 2006 6.5L GEP engine

1-220
2-300
3-zero
4-200
5-180
6-140
7-400
8-360

It will be a springtime project to pull the heads and pan to find the problem

Maybe one of the 4 6.2L I just picked up will be a runner.

Attachments

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oooh shiney
Thats the cleanest looking 6.2 ive ever seen from gl.

They all 660 blocks?

That is the 2006 6.5L 506 engine. It's dead.

The 6.2Ls look like this. I haven't openned the cans yet to check the engines.

**** Edit ****

Just checked and one engine is a 599 and three are the 660 blocks

Attachments

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He will have two done before I even get started. :-(

After buying a second GEP 6.5L from GL and it throwing a rod thru the oil pan while trying to ground hop it, I have put the project on the back burner.

My white gasser suburban needs to have the engine rebuilt along with the SM465 manual transmission. Too many dollars going out and not enough time in the day.

Last edited:

Stonepicker1

After buying a second GEP 6.5L from GL and then throwing a rod thru the oilpan while trying to ground hop it, Too many dollars going out and not enough time in the day.
$$$, I know what you mean. I wish I could fine a GEP 6.5L close to me.....always good to have spare parts. Going to start pulling the GEP engine in the CUCV-II Reg Cab soon. Are you keeping your engine?

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The engine that threw the rod may have a bad block. I haven't had the desire to tear it down all the way, but it looks like the bottom edge of the cylinder might have broken off. It might just be a good boat anchor.

The first GEP with the zero psi reading is still sitting in the can, waiting for a inspection/rebuild.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing I have been looking at is getting an early 1990's chevy diesel truck. It will have the serpintine belts and the 4L80E transmission. Now if I can only find one for the right price.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well how about that. I just won a truck I have been watch for a couple of weeks. Under $500 with the bid and fees.

1991 Chevy with a 6.2L, serpentine belt system AND a 4L80E tranny. The injector pump is still mechanical. :grin:

Looks like this project will start moving again.

From what I have read, I should be able to use the transmission controller from the 1991 and not have to buy a standalone controller. I'll see how it works out. Even if I do have to buy a controller, I paid less for the whole truck than what just the serpentine belt system costs. :grin:

Attachments

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tranny will get a rebuild so the shaft will be changed.

The TH400 in the burb needs a rebuild anyway so I have been considering a swap. I have a 4x4 700R4 in another 1/2t parts burb that I was going to use. For some reason I think I want a 4L80 instead.

Any comments? Suggestions? Keep it a TH400 or go with the 700R4 or the 4L80E?

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would either use the 4L80E or the 700R4. When the 4L80E is working it can't be beat. I've seen more than one hurt from an aftermarket controller failure. I'm not too keen on electronics these days. The 700 has a more favorable OD ratio I think. Either way it sets you up to run actual CUCV axles and still cruis at 70+.

K9Vic

Go with the over drive, reasons why I picked the Burb with the 700R4 over the one that had a TH400.

Glad to see you found your engine as well and looking forward to seeing your build.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always some issue.

The latest parts truck ended up having a replacement 6.5L NA installed a couple of years ago. And the transmission was rebuilt at the same time.

However the 6.5L block has a broken starter ear. One of the down sides of not using the starter support bracket. You will also notice the inside stater bolt is also broken.

The engine and transmission have been pulled along with all the wiring and other needed items. The rest went to the scrapper.

I need to take the block to a buddies machine shop and have him rebuild the ear.

block1.JPGblock2.JPG

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks