• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 dragged home today...

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can find the relay on eBay under cucv or with the correct number any parts store.
The voltmeter can be replaced with a 24v one and will work perfect.

Easy

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where are you getting your TMs?

FrankenCub

Got the TM's from here. The grommet I'm not worried about, have one coming as edited in the post. The relay issue is where I'm at now. Here are screenshots of the TM for the relay parts...
wiring-p.jpgwiring-p2.jpg

This is where I was talking about the part numbers being omitted.

FrankenCub

So far no dice on ebay and haven't been able to find the part number for them, if there was something printed on the relay I do have it's no longer visible.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't find them in the TMs either.

That's when I started searching the site.

I'm sure there are more posts with the part numbers posted.

Surprisingly, I didn't see them in the stickies either!

IIRC, they are common 12 volt cube relays.

FrankenCub

I didn't find them in the TMs either.

That's when I started searching the site.

I'm sure there are more posts with the part numbers posted.

Surprisingly, I didn't see them in the stickies either!

IIRC, they are common 12 volt cube relays.
The -34P tm had them. I didn't find anything using the Bosch # but the number in the -34P tm (12033862) searched in NAPA came up with an ECH AR272. It shows my local NAPA stocks them so I'll grab one this week.
I'll have to remember, when the -20P TM doesn't have the number, look in the -34P lol

I appreciate the help by the way ;)

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So far no dice on ebay and haven't been able to find the part number for them, if there was something printed on the relay I do have it's no longer visible.
I found it just fine
Under CUCV

$8.99

Cant get more specific than that per SS rules

FrankenCub

I found it just fine
Under CUCV

$8.99

Cant get more specific than that per SS rules
It never showed up using CUCV M1008 or CUCV M1009. It finally showed up searching CUCV relay. I don't know why my search results would be different unless it adjusts based on my search history. NAPA stocks them so I will get one through them so I don't have to wait on shipping. I get a bit impatient lol.

Changed the valve cover gaskets today, or should I say added them :doh: Someone's been it it before and thought it would be a good idea to leave them out and use silicone. No wonder the engine is covered with nasty oil, the covers leaked like mad. Gotta build a parts washer.

cucvrus

Stock new the valve covers and oil pan had orange GM silicone sealant w/o gaskets. It held up well until it started leaking many years later. I still use gaskets and Permatex The Right Stuff on all gaskets I replace on the engine. Great results. If you are impatient while you are waiting replace the rear main seal and the fuel lift pump. You will be glad you did.DSCF5983 (2).jpgDSCF5991 (2).jpgThis is the kind of crud that can be laying in the bottom of a operational lift pump. DSCF6023.jpgDSCF6024.jpgSame goes for the master cylinder. I mean the things to occupy your wait time are endless. The fuel sock in the fuel tank could use some attention. Like I said endless. No time for boredom.

FrankenCub

I didn't think they started the no gasket trick till the early 90's, maybe that was a gasser time period. I bought a new GM crate engine last year and still had gaskets, although glued on like there was no tomorrow. Don't remember the manufacture date but it was in the late 80's some time. I also use just a touch of Permatex on the gaskets to create a light seal, but this thing was oozing Permatex.
As for replacing other things, that will have to wait until I drum up some more cash, but the rear main and lift pump are on the list. By time I pay my bills I'm lucky to have anything left. Good thing I quit drinking lol.
Still plenty of cleaning to keep me occupied till the pump shows up. My master cylinder looks great inside so either it's been replaced recently or properly serviced. I'll wait on the fuel sock until this summer when I pull the box for repair/paint.

For future thoughts, what could I expect to pay for the required brackets/mounts/bows for the troop cover? Everything has been removed from mine so I'll have to start from scratch. I used to do auto and boat upholstery so the top itself isn't a big deal.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For future thoughts, what could I expect to pay for the required brackets/mounts/bows for the troop cover? Everything has been removed from mine so I'll have to start from scratch. I used to do auto and boat upholstery so the top itself isn't a big deal.
I thought you were buying the truck to haul firewood! I think you caught the green bug like I did. I was looking for a beater truck and ended in restoring it to parade quality.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I didn't think they started the no gasket trick till the early 90's, maybe that was a gasser time period. I bought a new GM crate engine last year and still had gaskets, although glued on like there was no tomorrow. Don't remember the manufacture date but it was in the late 80's some time. I also use just a touch of Permatex on the gaskets to create a light seal, but this thing was oozing Permatex. ~ ~
First I saw the blue stuff was GM production cars for 1979, new Monte Carlo valve covers. Seeped from the factory but they would not put gaskets in there instead of the blue stuff.

FrankenCub

I thought you were buying the truck to haul firewood! I think you caught the green bug like I did. I was looking for a beater truck and ended in restoring it to parade quality.
Have to admit I do have the Green Bug lol. But yeah, I did buy it to haul firewood but also interested in being able to keep stuff dry other times like if I'm hauling lumber or shopping. I was going to put an aluminum cap on my other truck but never got around to it. I kinda like the utility of the cargo covers, easy to stow if not needed.

First I saw the blue stuff was GM production cars for 1979, new Monte Carlo valve covers. Seeped from the factory but they would not put gaskets in there instead of the blue stuff.
I wonder if different assembly plants had anything to do with it. The only thing I recall not seeing gaskets on were the lifter valley when they started using RTV there, which was an improvement over the rubber seals that would push out all the time.
I like how wide the sealing surface is on these 6.2 heads though, much better chance to seal up than the narrow area on gasser heads.

FrankenCub

New pump made it yesterday so I installed it today. Got everything bled up to the IP and won't ya know the friggin fuel shut off appears to be not working correctly! I'm furious right about now! Double checked to be sure it's getting voltage to it and it is. With the key on and touching the wire to it and it clicks randomly, well, only a couple clicks. But the wire has voltage all the time. I don't dare take the top of to check the solenoid cause that will void the warranty. Suppose I have to call Diesel Care tomorrow. Not happy auaauaauaaua

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you are the second person in a week with issues from that place...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks