• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 dragged home today...

FrankenCub

What tweaks me the most despite their warranty is most likely looking at another week without a truck waiting on a simple part, or worse, sending this pump back to get another on a round trip. Could have spent $600 at a local shop, if I would have had that much to blow.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you have a good ground to the IP.

FrankenCub

Yep, I ohm'd from the IP to negative on the front battery and several other places, good ground. That was my first thought thinking the nuts were making a dirty contact and a new gasket.
From the blade for the cut off to ground there's nothing, should be some resistance.

FrankenCub

I called Diesel Care this morning and explained the situation to their service department. She asked if I was sure it wasn't an injector problem so I explained why it wasn't and what I had found in my testing. She said as soon as I sign the warranty email that she'd send a new pump would be on the way. Couple hours later UPS sends me a tracking number, the pump should be here in 3 days. In the world we live in today I'm thankful their customer service is on the ball and pleasant to deal with. That to me makes a huge difference!

FrankenCub

Just a little update. The second IP showed up late yesterday so I got it installed and finally quit for lack of light. Finished up today with the bleeding and installing the intake. She's Alive! Was starting to get a bit discouraged and hoping the engine was good, you know, thoughts go from ehh to worse knowing it was a gamble anyway. Very happy knowing it's a very strong running engine. The high cold idle works as it should too which I was surprised, the solenoid doesn't seem strong enough so may be expecting a change in the future. Took it for a short trip around the circular drive and it doesn't want to shift early enough but I'm pretty sure that's an easy fix. The vacuum lines are pretty cheesy. All in all feeling pretty good about it. Will be getting her registered tomorrow, hopefully. Went to the DMV today and they said the bill of sale paper had to have another section filled out by the seller seems it was titled in the name of his business. I reread it tonight and it says nothing about business owners to fill out. Will be going back to a different office to straighten it out. If not I'll have to wait till he gets back from Maine.

FrankenCub

Indeed it is! A huge weight off my chest for sure. Not having much money to start and knowing I was rolling the dice with the engine seems it didn't run when I bought it, makes the payoff feel that much better. I'm not normally a gambling man, that's my wife's department lol. After the nerve racking I quietly put myself through this time, anything else is going to be a sure bet or walk away :)

I think I sat next to her at least 20 minutes listening to that beautiful Detroit sound. Hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow to get on those vacuum lines, Saturday we'll be taking my sister in law to the hospital for surgery and Sunday the local parts stores will be closed. Actually, I think a good bet would be to check the kickdown switch under the dash after reading the other thread on it ;)

FrankenCub

I may not have read that specific post, but I did see some talk about his problem in another thread. That's where I got the idea I better check mine out just to be sure. I can feel the vacuum pump drawing a vacuum but I know it's not enough and there are several leaks. The hose coming off the pump is visually cracked, not wide open but I'm sure it's leaking there, and the rubber fitting int the valve at the IP is split. Not sure what I'm going to do about that one but a local junk yard has a lot of 6.2s. I'll look at NAPAs website and see if they can get one though.
I did a quick slid test with my fingers and the switch feels smooth but I'll ohm it to be sure the contacts are working.

FrankenCub

Another update. Was 27 this morning so figured I'd take a ride to town. Starts as easily as a new gasser, just fires right up. I know that isn't a true test for real cold but even at that temp it starts better than my neighbors beloved Ford 7.3 lol.
Shifting better but still need some adjustment yet. I thought it felt a bit slow at 55mph so I checked with the GPS on my phone and it reads about 8mph slower than it really is. That's just fine by me though, most of my driving is back roads anyway. I'll finish adjusting the VRV tomorrow before I pick up a load of fire wood.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks