• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Drivers side alternator

Terracoma

Well, I only need the drivers side, so I will go with the $80 non-isolated ground, since the drivers side does not need isolated ground.
But on autozone part # DL7157, I looked at the photos on their website, and the photo that shows the backside of that alternator only shows 3 contact places for the wiring, but the old alternator has 4... Any ideas on that?
Almost forgot, if getting a new alternator, what amps MUST it be for the drivers side?

Stock CUCV alternators (27SI) actually have five connections, including the isolated ground stud. However, as you know, the driver's side alternator (GEN1) does not need an isolated ground, so you can use the DL7157 with no problems on that side. When looking at the rear side of the DL7157 alternator, the fourth connection is at the top left corner, hidden underneath a round rubber cap. Your stock alternators may be missing these rubber caps, but the connection points are in the same location.

If you stick with the DL7157, it produces 100-amps of output, which matches the stock alternators perfectly.

[thumbzup]

Terra1936

Stock CUCV alternators (27SI) actually have five connections, including the isolated ground stud. However, as you know, the driver's side alternator (GEN1) does not need an isolated ground, so you can use the DL7157 with no problems on that side. When looking at the rear side of the DL7157 alternator, the fourth connection is at the top left corner, hidden underneath a round rubber cap. Your stock alternators may be missing these rubber caps, but the connection points are in the same location.

If you stick with the DL7157, it produces 100-amps of output, which matches the stock alternators perfectly.

[thumbzup]
Very good information!

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It means it clutters up the forum with useless junk. You could have found it with a search.
So because someone found info they needed and wanted to post how much it helped them it's "useless junk"? I've looked through and posted to/bumped 10+ year old threads simply to put them back into rotation as we add new members constantly who may not even know that they don't know the information.

Instead of simply realizing he posted in an old thread, you felt the need to take the time to deride him for it, like you're the keeper of the threads....

I bet you're the first to reply to a question "ReAd ThE TmS" too, rather than provide an answer and a link to the info. It's people like you who turn off new members and old from asking questions or posting out of worry they'll be castigated (that means severely reprimanded).
Get over yourself.

I'm glad he found it and glad he posted because now **I** know the information he found.

Keith_J

Voltage matters, amperage only dictates charge time. Use a 78 amp alternator and it might take a few more minutes to fully charge the battery.
With my stock alternators, warm weather starts from cold take about 5 minutes to drop charge current to under 10 amperes. They only reach 70+ amperes for the first 30 seconds after starting. This is due to after glow, that short time the glow plugs fire to stabilize idle and reduce HC emissions.

dc_cucv

Ok so I am in a similar situation, but I need both alternators as my m1009 did not come with any :(

I will likely go with the Autozone DL7157 for driver side and was thinking about the WIL 90014277 for the passenger side.

I have also seen the rare electric ones on amazon, but everyone there says the bolts are a different size.

Does the Wilson WIL 90014277 bolt right up without any modification? What would be my path of least resistance to mount my replacements?

I know i may have to replace the pulleys (hillbilly wizard has those though).

Appreciate the help!!

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok so I am in a similar situation, but I need both alternators as my m1009 did not come with any :(

I will likely go with the Autozone DL7157 for driver side and was thinking about the WIL 90014277 for the passenger side.

I have also seen the rare electric ones on amazon, but everyone there says the bolts are a different size.

Does the Wilson WIL 90014277 bolt right up without any modification? What would be my path of least resistance to mount my replacements?

Appreciate the help!!
The Wilson 90-01-4277 is a professional reman original Delco. I bought 2 from Filter Products Corporation for $197.61 each, includes $47 core charge and free shipping. They shipped in a foam pack box too! You do have to supply the fan and pulley. They are an exact fit because they are the original! Delco!

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Appreciate the help!!

I have the rare electric ones in my CUCV...the only thing different was the pulley size was a little smaller. Just means you may have to buy a shorter belt. I had enough space on the adjustment slot to install and use the original sized belts. So far very happy with them. Mounting bolt holes and threads were all correct.

Jason lost in PV

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Autozone part # DL7157. Still 100 amps, about half the price and lifetime warranty. Rebuild GEN1 anyways and keep it as a spare for GEN2. Ask me how I know. . .
DL7157 from AutoZone is no longer the right alternator, I ordered one, the picture they have online is correct but the alternator you get is not the same.

dc_cucv

DL7157 from AutoZone is no longer the right alternator, I ordered one, the picture they have online is correct but the alternator you get is not the same.
How do you figure? I just gone one last month (haven't installed yet) for my driver's side and it looks right to me besides from the pulley being too small, which i am correcting by replacing with the hillbilly pulleys. obviously this unit is not an isolated ground alternator, but that would be fine for the driver's side.

this is the DL7157 I got from my autozone mid February 2022.

PXL_20220324_201922330.jpg

Jason lost in PV

How do you figure? I just gone one last month (haven't installed yet) for my driver's side and it looks right to me besides from the pulley being too small, which i am correcting by replacing with the hillbilly pulleys. obviously this unit is not an isolated ground alternator, but that would be fine for the driver's side.

this is the DL7157 I got from my autozone mid February 2022.

View attachment 862499
The ones in my area do not have the little sensor under the black rubber grommet. I bought 3 different ones from 3 different locations with no luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks