• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Little Red Riding Hood.

cucvrus

After seeing some ill efects of NOT cleaning the old seam sealer out of the seams I went about cleaning the 38 year old seam sealer from my current M1009. DSCF7989.JPGDSCF7990.JPGDSCF7991.JPG The seam sealer guy on this unit was drunk. DSCF7992.JPGAt the rear it was an inch thick in a ball at the rear corner welds. I started grinding it out but was over come by the smoke and dust. I resorted to using a cold chisel. DSCF7993.JPGI really don't want to use a wire wheel in fear of getting bare metal in the joint deeper then I can reach with sealer. This is the left rear 1/4 panel and it was severely damaged by the antenna bracket hitting something. I remembered that I needed to fit the tail light again before I do the final finish work before paint. DSCF7994.JPGDSCF7995.JPG The tail light did not fit so well. I was able to get the taillight fitting in with some tweaking of the mounting area of the 1/4 panel. That was when the whole job went south. I was outside getting a piece for a lawn mower and decided I wanted to play with bees again. It has been hot and dry and the bees love old metal things. I just built that front end of the CUCV less then 10 days ago. Well I had tenants take up residence in the fender area. I wanted 4 clip nuts and went to take them off and got stung again about 4-5 times in the hand. Same hand that was stung on Sunday. That ended my day. I went in and washed and rested for the night. It was 93* in the barn and I was soaked with sweat. But I made headway and that is what is important. I have mild swelling but I can't recall a time getting stung as many times as I have this year. the bees are getting toxic and stings are not as mild as they used to be. Maybe it is my age. But I think they are more aggressive then I remember. but I did reach right into the nest about the size of a half dollar. OH well I will survive. They didn't. Take Care and Be Safe.

cucvrus

After my successful run at getting the locked up Honda engine running I was feeling like working on my project. Any step forward is a step in the right direction. I am proud of my Genuine GM sheet metal and the mud and dirt from Folk Polk are still under the fender after 26 years of being stored in my barn. today it will become history. I hand sanded the fender jambs and all the edges. It looks great from the POS it was when I started.
DSCF8005.JPG DSCF8006.JPG DSCF8007.JPGThat is really clean original sheet metal. This how you remove the clip nuts from the fender. May as well remove them to paint. DSCF8008.JPG DSCF8009.JPG DSCF8010.JPG This truck had the pancake batter sand CARC paint job on it. I part out this entire truck back in the day. It was an M1028 and someone had hacked the main harness under the dash. Amazing 14K mile truck and at the time no title sold as residue. The hood jamb had thick runs in the paint. No problem. I used the small sander and them hand sanded all the jamb.DSCF8011.JPG DSCF8012.JPG DSCF8013.JPG DSCF8014.JPG It looked good to me and I moved onto the doors.

cucvrus

I started with the right door. Only because it was the closest one. I made a nice soft surface to set the door down so I could spin it and sand it from 1 side. DSCF8015.JPG Harbor Freight blankets. The bottom edge. DSCF8016.JPG DSCF8017.JPG DSCF8018.JPG DSCF8019.JPG I was done with that and sanded the entire inside and window frame. Onto the left door. 2 hours to s=do this door and it was in excellent condition. I ground out all the old seam sealer. DSCF8020.JPGDSCF8021.JPG DSCF8022.JPG DSCF8023.JPG All done with that one.

cucvrus

Drivers door same song and dance. I dug and ground out all the seam sealer on the edges and thoroughly inspected the seams. DSCF8024.JPG DSCF8025.JPG DSCF8026.JPG DSCF8027.JPG They are clean doors considering this M1009 was built in 8/83 that makes it 38 years old. Not bad. I also think it has a very low production number and it had chrome wing window vent latches from new. I remember seeing them in September 1983 coming to the dealership I worked at. This is the ID tag I removed from the B pillar. Personally I wouldn't care if all 17 of the VIN was visible. I don't have paranoia as an illness. I see people license plates everyday of my life. They are not secret. I read VIN's everyday of my working life and have for most of my life. So VIN's are not secret information and neither are license plate numbers. I covered the last 3 to keep it discreet. But the 100 is a dead give away to the sequence number. Good Luck on your projects and thank you for the support. I will keep plugging away. i will retire for the day and assume normal duties again tomorrow. DSCF8028.JPG
38 years. Man I am getting old.

cucvrus

Tonight was a short night. I came home and put away all the tools and cleaned up a few messes in the shop. I had several projects I completed in the past week. I also had many CUCV parts setting around that needed to be put away in storage. I had a CUCV oil pan and an intake that I have been moving around and finally found a home on the second floor shelf for them. I have most things semi organized and nothing sits out in the weather. I also did some blowing out of the barn bay so I can get a semi clean work area to paint in and start sealing and priming. Thank you for the support and I hope to get moving along again next week. My next few weekends are tied up with my other job. PA Ren Faire - Home of Exciting Spring/Summer Festivals & Theater in the Mansion Productions
Stop by the Faire and say hello. Enjoy.

dougco1

Tonight was a short night. I came home and put away all the tools and cleaned up a few messes in the shop. I had several projects I completed in the past week. I also had many CUCV parts setting around that needed to be put away in storage. I had a CUCV oil pan and an intake that I have been moving around and finally found a home on the second floor shelf for them. I have most things semi organized and nothing sits out in the weather. I also did some blowing out of the barn bay so I can get a semi clean work area to paint in and start sealing and priming. Thank you for the support and I hope to get moving along again next week. My next few weekends are tied up with my other job. PA Ren Faire - Home of Exciting Spring/Summer Festivals & Theater in the Mansion Productions
Stop by the Faire and say hello. Enjoy.
Rick,
I see your wife was posing for the Renaissance Faire brochure again.

cucvrus

No photo description available.

Heat, Humidity and Rain have played a key roll in my progress. Last night I did manage to get my Wife and Friend to help me get things ready to apply some primer. Next available evening is Friday. I look forward to some progress. Big projects take longer then expected when they are not your primary focus. But details are important and you can't rush into things. And no the blankets are not for a long winters nap.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
No photo description available.

Heat, Humidity and Rain have played a key roll in my progress. Last night I did manage to get my Wife and Friend to help me get things ready to apply some primer. Next available evening is Friday. I look forward to some progress. Big projects take longer then expected when they are not your primary focus. But details are important and you can't rush into things. And no the blankets are not for a long winters nap.
My CUCV was wearing her kerchief and I in my cap...
Okay, no winters nap!
AND by the way, no clatter out on the lawn either!! Or in the garage :)

She will look like new by the time you get done.

cucvrus

I failed to report my progress on Friday. I was able to get the parts in primer and they are all back inside safe and sound. Next i need to get a good quality 3 M seam sealer and reseal all the edges. I think I am doing that correctly. Primer, seam sealer, sealer and top coat. Well next step will be to get all my unbolt parts edge, interior panels painted and get them hung back on and adjusted. But I am moving along and keeping up with the world at the moment. Enjoy the Holiday and Take Care.

cucvrus

1631446501740.png
Good old Facebook had to rub salt into the wounds. It reminded me that it has been a year since I pulled the current project into the garage. It didn't remind me of the 25 years in set over 8 ft behind the wall where it is currently setting. I found an important piece of history to sooth my guilt.

The Sistine Chapel ceiling (Italian: Volta della Cappella Sistina), painted by Michelangelo between 1508 and 1512, is a cornerstone work of High Renaissance art.

See I have the renaissance part covered and will NOT take 4 years. Have a Great Day.

Sezzo

View attachment 844862
Good old Facebook had to rub salt into the wounds. It reminded me that it has been a year since I pulled the current project into the garage. It didn't remind me of the 25 years in set over 8 ft behind the wall where it is currently setting. I found an important piece of history to sooth my guilt.

The Sistine Chapel ceiling (Italian: Volta della Cappella Sistina), painted by Michelangelo between 1508 and 1512, is a cornerstone work of High Renaissance art.

See I have the renaissance part covered and will NOT take 4 years. Have a Great Day.
Been four weeks since the last post. We are all getting nervous, Rick ;-)

cucvrus

Yea I know. I get sidetracked a lot I plan on getting some progress this week. Getting the seams sealed and interior door and fender panels primed and painted. There are just not enough hours in the day. I am doing well. Work is crazy and I am only 1 person. Not like it was when I was 30-40. Remain Calm all is well.

cucvrus

I kept my word and was in the barn doing some seam sealer. I cleaned everything well and put a bead around each door and door opening. Then comes the messy part. I use my index finger and go around and press it into the seams. It looks great and covers well. After it was all done I closed the doors and went up to the house. I never like working around wet caulk it always seems to get in my way. Pun intended. Have a Great Day. DSCF8153.JPGDSCF8154.JPGDSCF8155.JPGDSCF8156.JPGDSCF8157.JPG

cucvrus

Last night I spent the evening cleaning and sanding the rear cab roof flange on the M1009. This was a missed problem area on my past build. I must admit I overlooked the area and never liked messing with the roof seals of the M1009. I found that almost every M1009 I ever worked on leaked when I started and still leaked after I installed new seals. I found wads of OEM strip caulk jammed in the lower cab corners and up in the upper flange. I also recall removing a lot of brand new K5 Blazer roofs at the dealer ship for leaking. Usually the lower base models. The high end models had that much interior trim and carpeting in that the owners never took notice to the leak. Now when you get one of them high end models you can quickly tell it was a leaker. You ask me how? You'll know. Have a Great Day. Not much progress today. I have that darn lawn to mow. Ticking away the moments everyday it is something.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Progress was made last night. All the door jams and edges of the main structure, doors and fenders were edge sealed with epoxy sealer. I will post pictures. I am hoping to spray all sealed areas with 383 CARC green after work today. Hoping. No promise but things are looking good.
You have great weather for it today!! Let the lawn grow and get that paint done...get more chickens!! or a goat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks