• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Little Red Riding Hood.

cucvrus

Waterborne CARC 2 part. I is easy to spray and cleanup. It takes a lot of stirring and mixing to get the solids from the bottom of the bucket. It is Niles Chemical Paint. I had been using Alkyd Enamel and liked that for ease and clean up. But using the water hose and a wash rag makes a world of difference. It seems to be a bit more forgiving to touch and contact then the 3 part solvent based CARC I used in the past. I think going forward this will be my go to paint. But I only have 1 more project after this one. Take Care and Be Safe.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Last night I spent some time working out in the barn on my M1009 project. It may not be much but I did get the door shells hung and adjusted. That was fairly easy as these are the same doors that left the factory on the truck in August of 1983. I always remind myself that this is a 38 year old truck and does not have the same fit tolerances of the newer vehicles. These were built to be trucks. Now the trucks have the comfort, fit and finish of the Cadillacs they built back in the day. Next I have seals to clean and then I am onto attaching the front fenders. I have the hood positioned for sanding the underside and getting it ready for edge painting and installation. Late in the season. Soon ready for the long winters nap. Take Care. Pictures later. I was tired and didn't take any last night.

cucvrus

As promised I wanted to post some pictures of the progress. The doors are inside and edge painted and now hung and adjusted. DSCF8172.JPGDSCF8173.JPG DSCF8176.JPG DSCF8177.JPG The hood is in Great shape. The adhesive that they used at factory had left loose and someone had applied a Permatex type adhesive to bond the inner and outer structure together. Massive FAIL. I used some adhesive caulking and have achieved great results. The inner and outer panel are as one now. I will be painting the edge of the hood and tailgate and get them ready to install. Today started out as planned but wet rainy weather prevailed. I need dry weather to paint. I will be spraying the underside of the hood in flat black like factory. It is relatively clean with the exception of the gray caulking. Zero rust anywhere and that will look great with the flat CARC green and flat black contrast. I never run out of things to do. Tonight I am attending https://pplcenter.ticketsoffice.org...hers?msclkid=176bbb0ae968111381d5da76ee3eb6e2
Have a Great Day and Enjoy the weekend. I finish up my work at the PARF this weekend . Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire | Mount Hope Estate & Winery (parenfaire.com)
DSCF8174.JPGDSCF8173.JPGDSCF8175.JPG

dougco1

As promised I wanted to post some pictures of the progress. The doors are inside and edge painted and now hung and adjusted. View attachment 849219View attachment 849220 View attachment 849223 View attachment 849224 The hood is in Great shape. The adhesive that they used at factory had left loose and someone had applied a Permatex type adhesive to bond the inner and outer structure together. Massive FAIL. I used some adhesive caulking and have achieved great results. The inner and outer panel are as one now. I will be painting the edge of the hood and tailgate and get them ready to install. Today started out as planned but wet rainy weather prevailed. I need dry weather to paint. I will be spraying the underside of the hood in flat black like factory. It is relatively clean with the exception of the gray caulking. Zero rust anywhere and that will look great with the flat CARC green and flat black contrast. I never run out of things to do. Tonight I am attending https://pplcenter.ticketsoffice.org...hers?msclkid=176bbb0ae968111381d5da76ee3eb6e2
Have a Great Day and Enjoy the weekend. I finish up my work at the PARF this weekend . Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire | Mount Hope Estate & Winery (parenfaire.com)
View attachment 849221View attachment 849220View attachment 849222
Rick, are you dressing up as the Jester for the Renaissance Faire again?
1635600739183.png

cucvrus

I spent time last night getting the hood edge sanded. I was unable to complete my task. I did however use the blower to remove nesting and seeds from the inner structure. A mouse had a very nice home in the rear inner reinforcement of the hood. He was able to store food and nesting in that double steel area. I am sure that was a comfy little place to live. It sure was virtually impregnable to other animals hunting him down. Double steel walls
Have a Great Day. I have more work to do. Take Care.

cucvrus

I am preparing my barn for the winter. I have not been getting a lot done with illness and work. I think I will rest for the winter and hope for progress in the spring. I am going to move the CUCV M1009 forward and cover it till spring. I was out today doing a lot of cleaning and sorting of parts from several vehicles and equipment. It is pouring down rain all day and it is hot and damp. I will hope things get better. Till then I will rest.

Last edited:

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am preparing my barn for the winter. I have not been getting a lot done with illness and work. I think I will rest for the winter and hope for progress in the spring. I am going to move the CUCV M1009 forward and cover it till spring. I was out today doing a lot of cleaning and sorting of parts from several vehicles and equipment. It is poring down rain all day and it is hot and damp. I will hope things get better. Till then I will rest.
Hope you're ok. Only a few minutes away if you need help moving stuff around!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thank you. I think it will all work out. I appreciate the support. I found a lot of parts I am going to put up for grabs and sell.
Just adding my thoughts too.

Hope you get better - and don't hesitate to "go see the saw bones" if you don't improve soon.
I would almost as soon take a beating as a trip to the doc, but sometimes you just have to go deal with 'em.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks