• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1165

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't need the tube, if you can get the plug out just let it drain through the bell housing (back of the block) just make sure it can get out of the bottom of the bell housing, and never drive through 60" of water unless your life depends on it OR you can afford to just trash a HMMWV and buy another one.

AS RWH and others have pointed out over and over the entire fording system was ONLY designed to get the HMMWV through the very few seconds it takes a HMMWV to get from a landing craft to the beach, not so you can sit with water up to your chest impressing your friends while drinking a beer!

If someone drives through 60" of water the last concern they will have is water pooling in the valley.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like if you went through 60” of water that valley could be filled to the top and no path to escape but over the turbo pedestal. I don’t think that’s good that they remove the tube. You have to pull transmission to install it. Hopefully I will never need to but if so I will install it. I will let it drain thru the bell housing.
the water can only pool up to the level at the front of the timing gear housing, the water will drain off the front of the motor, as soon as you drive the truck and put the brakes on, most of water is gone, the remainder will burn off.
Early 6.2 and 6.5 had no drain hole in the rear, it still pooled up the same way.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would make a good cell phone mount if it would have fit my phone:(
Haha that’s what I will use it for and I think that’s what it’s made for! I will have to shave a little bit off to get my iPhone 13 max pro into it. I have one of these mounted to my doghouse on the passenger side from gov planet

Last edited:

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate getting into the engine compartment and trying to work. I have very limited physical abilities and I can only work with one hand as I have to hold myself up with the other. I can’t get comfortable more than a few minutes at a time and it takes forever to do anything. I also worry about causing damage from falling or stepping on the wrong thing. I finally gave in and ordered an over the top creeper and it should make it 50% better. I ordered it directly from manufacture and it was 40.00 dollars cheaper than Amazon and free shipping. I like the front of the creeper because I think I can fish it around the front tire and I can use it on all of my vehicles… I will give an update and tell you what I think about it.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am pretty much in the same boat.
Some folks build a plywood platform to fit over the stack, if you have a serious amount of work to do, pop the hood off and lay on your stomach on top of the stack.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not making much progress but I did drill, tap and cap a port for my EGT probe. I’m still on the fence about tapping my intake crossover or getting a boost bolt. I will look it over when I get the intake off. I assembled my over the top creeper and I think it’s pretty well built and everything fit and went together really good.
E22392A3-58FE-4263-A98A-5A1404ECB8F6.jpeg8A4F2C7F-3613-428E-92F9-CE1260998427.jpeg89D53BFB-1C6E-4B8C-AEBA-085406CA3820.jpeg

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont understand what good the wheel is if one doesnt turn the boost up.
I got a 1165A1 too and picking it up this week. Pumped.
Did you get your truck yet? I took mine around the block for the first time. I wish my neighbor would have pulled me faster. Haha I should have had mine running by now but it’s either hot, windy or raining.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was going thru garage stuff and I found this. I have had it for 13 years and I haven’t done anything with it. I have used it to air up my tires when I was to lazy to run my compressor and roll up the hose. It’s like brand new and it’s a commercial unit that I found in the desert. It was inside one of the stainless steel boxes from the gas station that someone drug off with a chain. It plugs into 120v household. That wiring harness can be taken off. I don’t know how much since it makes to use something just because you have it. Probably more modern onboard air systems available. Says 7.2 Amps I don’t know how big of a converter would be needed. I think I have talked myself out of it… 132F5164-B5DA-41DD-A4FD-41C62FBF2583.jpegCE18C8EE-5969-4059-AF5B-DB1330B171C7.jpeg

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I worked on exhaust for a few hours today and spent a few hours getting all of that junk out of my resonator. I don’t see how it can breathe like that. It was weird after I got it cleaned out I washed it out with a hose and I couldn’t believe how much gold was in it. I bet probably 1/2 oz or more. Gutter looked so amazing with gold. I got down on my hands and knees and got up what I could. I don’t know if pics here will do it justice or not. I was surprised that exhaust is not stainless steel but I got a magnet to stick to everything. I’m still confused about what flange I need. I want to remove the muffler and run exhaust to the factory location so I can have the option to use the oem turndown or deep water exhaust.
3C657ADC-F071-4C0D-9DF1-75AC5A575C22.jpeg9D129B53-090A-4707-AA99-76D53E6BF531.jpeg729B4245-4F47-47BD-8215-F0CADA95DC85.jpeg14775D15-4A68-4153-8081-ED1217644EAC.jpeg

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I worked on exhaust for a few hours today and spent a few hours getting all of that junk out of my resonator. I don’t see how it can breathe like that. It was weird after I got it cleaned out I washed it out with a hose and I couldn’t believe how much gold was in it. I bet probably 1/2 oz or more. Gutter looked so amazing with gold. I got down on my hands and knees and got up what I could. I don’t know if pics here will do it justice or not. I was surprised that exhaust is not stainless steel but I got a magnet to stick to everything. I’m still confused about what flange I need. I want to remove the muffler and run exhaust to the factory location so I can have the option to use the oem turndown or deep water exhaust.
View attachment 875179View attachment 875180View attachment 875181View attachment 875182
NOT a resonator.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got my resonator back where it belongs. I’m surprised how easy it was to install. I was dreading having to do it but it went right in and everything lined up. I left the piece that crosses the transmission loose so I can bolt it to the turbo and then snug it down. When I took it off of the turbo it had quite a bit of pressure on it and I don’t think it should. Finished draining my fuel tank and tomorrow I will order a new plug and a few other things that I need. I really like ordering from Mac Motors, Craig is really helpful with part numbers. Muffler will stay on for now and I might do something with it once I get truck running.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Backed out of the driveway in my m1123 and I heard a hiss every time the wheel rotated. I parked when I heard a constant hiss and went to take a look. I couldn’t believe how big of split I had in the sidewall. I will take the tires off my m1165 and get some 24 bolt wheels and Baja’s for it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks