• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M146 Camper

I recently got a M146 enclosed trailer to pull behind the M818. I am goin to turn it into a "camper". Nothing crazy just a bed, some heat and a/c a little carpet and sanding the floor to do stained hardwood. With the exception of the floor everything will be able to come out to return to stock. Before I got it there was some water damage to the roof. A little black mold and the roof plywood is sagging just a little bit. I was thinking about replacing the plywood and insulation but then i got to thinking about asbestos possiblities. My question is if you guys think it is worth replacing everything or should I just hose it down with some bleach water, repaint, and call it a day???

Well got my ceiling torn out tonight and there was a lot of water and stuff up there. A little more than I wanted to see anyway. But oh well thats part of the fun. I am goin to put foam insulation up with finish plywood and a few floreusant (tube) lights and keeping the 24V lights down the center. I am also goin to rewire the light switches and lights then it is time for some paint. will keep you guys posted.

I saw in the other topis with the redone 146 that the guy used SILVER SEAL to seal his roof up. Do you guys know where i can get that or know of another good prouct out there. i found a bunch of possibles but want something that has a proven track record. Thanks again.

Armada

Any building supply store should have it. I'm sure it goes by different names. Same stuff used for sealing mobile home and flat roofs. My m146 top had been coated with it from the military. You can paint over top of it too.
Keep the pictures coming as you go!

Here are a few quick shots of it. I have gotten the ceiling out of it already and started to attack the wiring but need some things first. Then to round up some insulation, plywood and paint. Next day I get to work on it I will get some more pics and update my progress.

Attachments

Last edited:

Earth

Looks very nice. We are planning a trailer project as well. I keep thinking an expandable, but it sure looks like plenty of room to work with in the M146. So thanks for posting up the pics.

I was thinkin expndable also but then i had a reality check. I want to stay dry while using it and with moveable sides that are 40 years are that is just asking for a leak one wy or another. I am goin to get my wiring, insulation, plywood, lights, and roof cement tomorrow hopefully. and can then work on it again this weekend. as long as it is a quiet time at the firehouse. I did manage to get a couple more pics of the progress last night while I was at my parents house getting some measurements for a few things.

Attachments

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
how similar is it to a m109 as far as how its built? i need to do some wiring in mine, thought this might help me figure out how i want to run it.

area52

Could you do me a favor and measure the opening when both rear doors are open? How wide of an object can you fit through the door(s)?

Looking good!!

pistonring

Went out and did some measuring. 62" wide with both doors open, 30" with just the right half door open, And so i don't have to go back out again the opening is 71" high. With both doors open you have a hole that is 62" wide and 71" high. Not big enough for a car but a golf cart or 4 wheeler or mule will fit right nicely. :-D I don't have a M109 so I don't know if the doors are the same size. :?: Time for somebody else to head out with a flashlight tonite.:roll: A few more motor pool pix of the before.... compare the size to the deuce. The M146 looks to be the same as the 109 with about 10 feet of length added, 2 extra windows per side and two windows, one in each rear door. A M146 has 12 windows total, nine of which will open with screens built in. Lots of natural light available and good ventilation if needed. The M146 is about 22 feet long inside and a King size bed will fit up in the nose with about 6 inches on one side. The 9:00 tires put the rear doors a few inches closer to the ground making it easier for the older gray headed soldiers to climb in and out of the back. Looking forward to working on the conversion this weekend. If all goes well we can put it into service in time for Aberdeen 2010.:-D

Attachments

Last edited:

Earth

Well, I've decided to abandon the idea of an M313 in favor of the M146 to make my "mobile man cave" in. So, thanks again for the ideas. And now: does anyone have one they want to sell? I'm hot to get started as the M818 is here and has a lonely 5th wheel.

Thanks,
Tom

Update. Got the wiring done to day. Well 98% done anyway. I have to figure out what end I want on the power cord and I need to hang my lights when I get the ceiling done. I am putting QTY. 4, 4' Dual tube fluorescent lights each with toggle chains so the can be operated independently of each other. I also redid the blackout door Micro switch so then you open the door a small spot light comes on so you can see the ladder while coming in and out at night. I put the micro switch along with the wiring from the panel to the front three way switch inside a 6x6 plastic box that is 4" deep and at the door and mounted the sopt light to that. Next step is moving trailer to loading dock so I can seal the couple leaks up and then move onto insulation and plywood for ceiling then for some paint and that is about all she wrote. Forgot camera so no pics yet but I will get them in the near future and keep you guys posted.

Well, I've decided to abandon the idea of an M313 in favor of the M146 to make my "mobile man cave" in. So, thanks again for the ideas. And now: does anyone have one they want to sell? I'm hot to get started as the M818 is here and has a lonely 5th wheel.

Thanks,
Tom

I was thinking about either one of them or a M820 with hear and A/C already in it. but then the old man gave me a reality check about them havin problems with the expandable sections leaking, the A/C being three phase and stuff like that. so I got the 146 that still leaks and have to redo all the wiring but it should be nice when it is done. and hopefiully it won't have any problems.

tm america

i wouldnt give up on making a mancave out of a m313 since they are way bigger inside than the m146 is.the m146 is 176sq ft. and the m313 is 238sq ft opened and 136 closed and the m313 has more doors and a nice deck in the front to put your quads or mule:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks