• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Crew Cab #2 with rear steer

ccequipment

I though I would start a new thread on my second build and post a few pics up along the way. This model will be pretty much the same except this one will have rear steering. I have an air cylinder set up to lock the rear axel in the straight on postion for safe driving. It has a micro switch to indicate when the pin is locked, then it will send power the rest of the system to operate the hyd. power pack. Should get the cab and all the steps and fuel tank finished tommorow. Then I will finsh up the rear steer system and post some more pics of that.

Attachments

russ81

Tell us about your rear axle! Is is a front axle turned around, or did you modify a straight axle?

I'm thinking of doing the 4 wheel steering on the War Pig, so any advise would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

ccequipment

Yea, thats the air cylinder that locks th axel tm, and the rear axel is just a new gov. rebuilt unit I just got a bunch of these in. It is sitting just like the front one with the tie rod in the back. The axels were rebuilt in 1989 I am curious to see if the wheel cylinders and all the seals will be working after sitting in a crate for 21 years unused, you just gotta love miltary surplus.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I love the first one you did, I can't wait to see this one! Your stuff looks great!

Lonster

Handsome project!

Your Project is amazing. Thanks Clinton for the introduction to the M35 and the tour of your facilities. You do good work and I wish you the best of luck. I'll be seeing you in a couple of months about a project ;) Should I warn the neighbors or just surprise them with the driveway art?!!

mckeeranger

How much flex is in the M35 frame when off-roading? I mean when it's really racked. And how much of that is transferred to the body?

I'm thinking, if you built a utility vehicle, a deuce that seats 8, would the body be able to take the flex?

I assume you move the stock cab mount to the back of the stretched cab, so the back is still sorta isolated from the frame. What I'm thinking would be built much the same as your 4 door, but be nearly twice as long, and couldn't use the stock rear cab mount. At least I don't think so.

Just thinking out loud in print here.

ccequipment

These things do flex a bunch, and the cab pretty much floats on the frame even in the rear mount some because of it having the springs and rubber bushings. I was thinking maybey a 6 door in the future, but man this one has just about got me burnt out. I have been working day and night on this and other trucks trying to keep everyone happy, it just gets hard for me to find time to do something like this anymore. But I am sure I'll do something crazy like this again maybey next winter. I did get the rear steer all done, I built a box on the dash to hold all the controls. Works pretty good, I have the air cyl. regulated on the down pressure so it won't bend the tie rod. Going up it uses the full air pressure from the truck. I have a micro switch on it to indicate when its down all the way and it also cuts all the power off to the system so you can't move the axel until the pin is all the way up. I also have another switch to locate center on the axle which in turn lights up a light on the dash. The system works well in the shop, so we will see how it does on the road in a week or so.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks