• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 motor swap

acesneights1

Also I was playing wit the old pump while flushing it and I fail to understand what the other two holes do. The TM says they are for scavaging but ???I poured oil on the hole the pickup goes to and it pumped oil out the hole that goes to te block when I turned it by hand so what are the other holes for ??

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We swapped my motor and then had to pull the pan for inspection and cleaning.

Walk away from it for a while. Then come back with fresh eyes.

acesneights1

I had the pan off already as I had to use my pickup tubes off the old motor. The pan and tubes were spotless.. The only other thing I can think of is the PO of the motor swapped the oil pump and that they are different??? frm LDS2 to LDT ?

Jeepsinker

I wonder if the oil pump drive isn't out of place or has a sheared key way or something? Ever pulled a distributor on a Chevy 350 and failed to get the drive rod back in the oil pump when you reinstalled the distributor? No oil pressure.

acesneights1

Well....The PO of the motor had told me I needed to swap pans which I did because it got dented when he removed it...
I didn't see the cracks either. I suspect it was hairline cracked when I did the swap on the Pickup tubes and then opened up as soon at I started the motor.
Moderators...Can we PLEASE add a Suicide Smiley ??

Attachments

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
The worst thing you will have to do is pull the pump off and put it in oil and turn it to see how it pumps. I mean see what is in and what is out. There are 2 suctions and 2 discharges since one is a scavenger like a dry sump system. I assume the drive idler gear is there?

never mind. good find!

Last edited:

acesneights1

Do you need an oil pump?
I have the one off the old motor. I ran about 2 quarts of 10w through it to flush it out. I think it should be fine but thanks. Actually what I am having trouble coming up with it where to get the safety wire for the discharge pipe bolts.

acesneights1

I noticed the bolts that hold the pump to the block have no lock washers. I was thinking a dab of blue loctite ??

welldigger

I have the one off the old motor. I ran about 2 quarts of 10w through it to flush it out. I think it should be fine but thanks. Actually what I am having trouble coming up with it where to get the safety wire for the discharge pipe bolts.
Harbor freight. They have the safety wire and pliers. Should run you no worse than $13 for both.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds GREAT !!! pressure looks good , no smoke , I think you got a winner there ! congrat's way to go :goodjob: