• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35A2 super single 395 install

davidkroberts

well i installed the 395/85/20 michelin tires today went really smooth except for the lip on the stock lock ring is too long it only needs about a half inch. i included a pic of both. the shorter one is the only one that will fit on the thicker sidewall on the 395's. If you use the stock ones you will have to remove about half of the longer flange or it wont mount. You will be able to get it about 3/4 of the way mounted then you will flat run out of room.

I used the stock wheels, tubes, and flaps. I also mounted the rears without flipping the hubs. I personally think it looks better. If i was going to do it again I would mount the tires with 11.00 or 13.00 tubes. The stock ones worked fine but given the chance I would have done it differently.

the ride home was great, very little tire whine. The truck pulls and stops well. The steering is very much improved for some reason. I figure i gained somewhere around 10 mph.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What are you saying about the lock ring? Did you cut it?! I had no problem with any of the ones I've done.

davidkroberts

The lock ring on this one was too long at the flange. In the picture the lockring with the green paint was too long to mount these 395's. Im not sure if the sidewall thickness is different between the tires but these just wouldnt mount at all. The guys who do my tires know their business doing mostly commercial and ag tires. They just couldnt get them on. They happenened top have enough lockrings that have the shorter flange that fit fine. The didnt have to do any more hammering than any lockring requires. They probably could have sledgehammered them in but im not big on forcing equipment to do things it wasnt designed for.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, if they know their business...

The way I see it, if the rings came off the rim, they should go back on. Not too sure how safe different ones are. I REALLY hope they know their stuff.

davidkroberts

it was the thickness of the sidewall that threw a wrench in the works. I thought about a different design too but the only difference in them was the flange other than that they were a perfect match. They do allot of military tires from me and others im not worried about them.

Blythewoodjoe

The shorter lipped ring looks like it for a dayton wheel. I could not imagine putting than on a deuce rim because the grove is different but I am not a wheel expert. I use dayton wheels to make my wide rims.

davidkroberts

not really i measured the inside of the tire while it was at rest and it was only 10 1/4 " across. The sidewall was much thicker and the thread thickness and extra material on the bottom to make regrooveable ate up alllot of the difference. Even with just a little pressure to mount inside the tire and place the flap it was already touching all surfaces inside the tire. The stock ones are fine i read a few post from 100 dollarman and others who used the stock tubes and havent ever had any problems but if i would have had a wider tube i would have used them honestly.

davidkroberts

if you look at how this type of split/ locking ring is designed you can see how that flange doesnt really surve any purpose other than to give the tire something to rest against preventing wear between the flap/tube and the tire itself. The flange on the inside doesnt have anything to do with how the tire is mounted to the rim. That portion of the rim is opposite where the flange is located. The locking groove is located behind this flange and that groove is what makes contact with the rim. This is a standard lockring groove just like what came off the rim to begin with. The only difference between the two is the 1/4 inch flange other than that they are identical.

asgtoolman

That sure is a cute helper you have in pic #8--I remember when mine were that age and thought hanging out with Dad was super special--Enjoy her everyday; they grow up and get MARRIED and move away much too soon!!

Blythewoodjoe

Again, I am not a tire expert, but here's a few pictures that I think everybody needs to see. The first one is what a deuce wheel looks like with out a ring. I have cut the lip off to slide the dayton wheel over it, so it's a little short. What I want you to see here is the void the ring sits in. Next is the dayton wheel, which is what your rings come off of. Notice how it's angled? It obviously works, but I would not trust it.

I think the real problem here is putting these big tires on narrow wheels. I know lots of you guys are doing it, but if Gimpy can get his tires to mount up with stock rings, why can't your tire guys. I don't know but I bet it's because you would have to push that big honkin' tire down another inch to get the ring on. This looks like a short cut to me. I wouldn't bring it up except I would feel bad if someone got killed and had kept my mouth shut.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...................................................................................................................

I think the real problem here is putting these big tires on narrow wheels. I know lots of you guys are doing it, but if Gimpy can get his tires to mount up with stock rings, why can't your tire guys. I don't know but I bet it's because you would have to push that big honkin' tire down another inch to get the ring on. This looks like a short cut to me. I wouldn't bring it up except I would feel bad if someone got killed and had kept my mouth shut.
:ditto:

Not really a great idea IMHO. :???:
Using that other narrow lockring (or a stock one, cut) leaves a wide, deep gap just where the tire bead comes to seat! Wonder how that section of the bead will withstand un-mounting, later on...

G.

Attachments

tm america

Looks nice..but i agree they are dangerous with those rings on there.. they can pop off. the long part keeps the ring from rolling off.they took the easy way out rather than compressing the sidewalls down far enough to get the ring on.I used my engine hoist the first time to get them on the rims but now i can do them with just my tire hammer and tire bars....be very carefull with those rings on there ..

Seth_O

It's amazing how much burlier a duece looks with the 395's on. I like the NDT's and appreciate them for the value they have - being a good all-around tire. But the 395's just look sharp; and hey, the extra 10mph sure doesn't hurt......

deathrowdave

No way would I change locking rings !!! The wheel was designed to use the larger lock ring , who ever designed the wheel understands stress loads much better than we are !! Have a great day and be safe,Dave

Gunner0311

I am wondering about the stock tubes also. You used stock 9.00X20 tubes?

When I mount my 395s I was going to use the commercial tubes they use on
cement mixers, as I have noticed the ones in these parts are running the same
tires we are talking about(my son and I just noticed this recently).

I automatically thought the stock 9.00x20 tubes would be way to small to handle
the much larger volume of tire that the 396 presents....:?:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I just got a set of 395's as well. I'm confused over what size tubes I should run as well. I've been looking online and I see that summitracing can get tubes. I can run by their store and pick them up to save on shipping. (I know they're kinda large and heavy)

Here's all the sizes I see for a 20" rim.
10.00-20
10.00R 20 12/80R-20
11.00R 20 13/80R-20
12.00R 20 14/80R-20
9.00R 20

They range in price from $19.95 to 29.95. I know there's been mention of gemplers but they're more expensive and only have a 10.00R20 listed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks