• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35A2 super single 395 install

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I was told 1300/1400r0 tubes. I got them for about $55 each. If you can find 1200r20s cheaper, I'd go that route.

Billy Bobbed

What are you guys using to put a 395 on a stock deuce wheel,I need a spare tire.Me and my dad were out in the yard for over an hour trying to get that ring on.Did I tell you it was 92 degrees out,but me and the old man had some nice words for that tire.Really need help on this one.

cessnatwin

I had mine done at wingfoot, used the original tubes, within a month half gave out! They told me to use different tubes, dumb me, they charged me 25.00 each and reinstalled them, never had a problem since. Do not slam on your brakes when some a hole pulls out in front of you, the tube will fail, bring a spare!

Billy Bobbed

What I need to know is what did you use to mash the tire down to get the ring on.Hate to haul it to the tire shop when Im so close to getting it mounted.Then if I get it aired up trying to get it in and out of the back off the truck.

hogtruck

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Easiest I've found is to use an engine hoist. Put the two legs on top of the tire, clear of the rim and allow room for the ring. Loop big chain through wheel hub and jack up to raise rim up through tire. May take some persuading with tire tools to get the rim to come straight up. Then the ring should go on easy.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you guys are actually putting 15" wide tires on stock deuce wheels, wow...wheel should be 10-12 inches wide...no wonder you have trouble mounting them, not to mention safety issues driving with that combination.

davidkroberts

Lax, the only issue ive had is that at full right turn it rubs against the steering arm some. I just dont cut it as hard.

As for the bed, there is allot of room and ive never rubbed. Fully loaded at full articulation.....maybe but i dont think so

crane truck as far as i know nobody has ever had a problem running the stock rims with the 395's. I researched it fully before i mounted them and ive never heard of a problem. Mine have been mounted for about a year now and ive had zero problems. Everyone i know who is running 395's on stock rims arent having any problems either. When you look at them mounted it really isnt that big of a deal.

ryker725

Amazing how different these trucks look with those monster tires. Now I know that you can use the stock wheels without flipping the hubs. I may look into doing this myself.

I know a guy who gets the Michelin 395's and ships them overseas. I need to call him and order 7 of his better ones and put them on the side for me..

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Careful what you wish for.
I bought some used 395's from an SS vendor. I told him tread was secondary to tire condition,(ozone damage, didn't want cracked tires). When they arrived all the tires showed at least some cracking.
I changed out a blowout the other day after about 1000 miles on one of the tires. I was glad it was on one of the rears. It seems that I haven't done well buying used 14.5 and 395's for my trucks.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ronbo

Surely they'll make that right..
But thats the type of luck I'd have too...
I've wanted to put singles on mine too, But after reading the thread about dude getting a $2100.oo ticket , and fuel stickers , fuel logs etc etc whatever .I might sell my deuce. I'd hate to see her go ( shes super sweet) but she sits more than she's driven and I sure dont need any 2k tickets etc... decisions decisions

Billy Bobbed

Easiest I've found is to use an engine hoist. Put the two legs on top of the tire, clear of the rim and allow room for the ring. Loop big chain through wheel hub and jack up to raise rim up through tire. May take some persuading with tire tools to get the rim to come straight up. Then the ring should go on easy.
Im going to try this tomorrow.I called a tire shop they said they would try to do it for around $15.If it wasnt that I like to do as much as I can my self,I would say its worth the money to take it to the tire shop.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do the rear wheels track with the front when you don't flip the hubs? They look like the track the exact same or is it a little off?

Intresting post, has anyone ever mounted the M35A3 tires on the stock 9r20 wheel? I have a set of A3 tires i'd like to put on my deuce. i saw Sewerzuks post he put the 395's on stock deuce wheels, as this post is showing.

thehaas

just installed 3958520 on rims guy bought from eastern surplus very nice rim and tires were done correct anyone interested can see on you tube under m35a2 singles by jake

Special T

Again, I am not a tire expert, but here's a few pictures that I think everybody needs to see. The first one is what a deuce wheel looks like with out a ring. I have cut the lip off to slide the dayton wheel over it, so it's a little short. What I want you to see here is the void the ring sits in. Next is the dayton wheel, which is what your rings come off of. Notice how it's angled? It obviously works, but I would not trust it.

I think the real problem here is putting these big tires on narrow wheels. I know lots of you guys are doing it, but if Gimpy can get his tires to mount up with stock rings, why can't your tire guys. I don't know but I bet it's because you would have to push that big honkin' tire down another inch to get the ring on. This looks like a short cut to me. I wouldn't bring it up except I would feel bad if someone got killed and had kept my mouth shut.
This is my first post, i do not currently have a military vehicle, However i Do have quite a bit of experience with off road heavy equipment tires. The Method shown in Blythewoodjoe's Photo is a nearly identical method used by Farm equipment manufacturer that i deal with. The only addition is a metal triangle welded to the bolt face and to the added Dayton Wheel.(also known as chassis wheel, californian, demountable, or spoke wheel) It is usually located between the 2 bolt holes/lug nuts then to the added rim base. The key to a SAFE strong wheel is lots of surface area holding the seam together. The added triangle may not me necessary, however there is substantial liability for anything running down the road, or anything welded that is a a pressure vessel.(tire/wheel combo) I must admit that not having the reinforcement triangles will help you roll with less scrutiny from the police especially commercial vehicle enforcement. Military wheels are extremely sturdy and made to extra strength requirements. Dayton Wheels are suitable for widening the wheels so long as you use the proper rim. The earlier statement of using the same lock ring that came off the wheel is a good first step. There is a fitment guide that i will try and find online that shows how to match up the proper lock ring and wheel base.

395's 1400R20 & 1600R20s are all designed to run on a 10" wide wheel. You should use13/1400R20 tubes and 10" radial flaps on the smaller 2 sizes and 1600R20 tubes on that size. That said I have seen nearly EVERY imaginable combination of strange and weird combinations work... Depending upon the conditions the vehicle/tires were being used.
Weight, Speed, distance/drive time and Air-pressure are are the issues that affect a tires performance every-time you change from the manufactures standard. I have personally run bias tubes and flaps in radial 1400R20 in an off road fork lift and everything worked fine. One of the reasons for this is the low speed it was operated at, AND the much lower weight supported by the tires than designed. When you deviate the width of a wheel from the standard you change where the tire flexes on a radial tire. Since the standard is 10" making a wheel that is 9-11" wide won't affect the tire too much, especially if you are not running it a max speed weight air pressure. The standard Military deuce wheel is 7.5" wide. 2.5" inches is a substantial difference from the standard. This does not mean that it could not be done. What it does mean is that things like load carrying capacity, wear, and tire damage are MORE likely. I would happen to guess that a Deuce could likely run them on stock rims if it was always empty, driving slowly, over short distances.

I personally have run or seen tires that are outside the Acceptable norms of the tire industry because they were operated substantially under their capacity. Tires extremely weather cracked, wrong kind of tube/flap, on too wide or narrow a rim. If you are doing something that is outside the acceptable "norm" you had better have a spare (or 2) handy and the ability to change them since many tire shops will refuse to touch them due to liability... Remember everything YOU do YOU accept the liability for.

I hope some of this information is useful to you and will will try and find some pics and other references for you all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks