• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35A2 super single 395 install

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I do have a spare with me (Signature-spare in the stock location) and tools to change. But I also always carry chains and could easily tie up a rear axle if needed. That is a really quick way to get going again, assuming you are not heavily loaded and are not going too far.

I do get the point(s) though and some people in some situations are better off with duals.

rustystud

Notice that the only one understanding my point of view is also here in Washington. That's because there are only so many areas that you can safely drive and have service for your truck. If you get out there in Eastern Washington there is a whole lot of "nothing" and no one to help for many miles. I'm sure many truck companies are going to singles. Saves them a ton of money not having to buy 4 more tires each truck every time they need new ones. But I'm sure their doing local deliveries or deliveries along the super populated corridors in the east coast. Lets hear from anyone in Montana or Alaska and see what their trucks are running. Also I have never seen a logging truck running singles. I'm talking about "real" logging trucks hauling trees that have a minimum girth of at least 3 feet across that come out of major forests. These guys can not afford breakdowns in the back woods.
Also I'm totally in favor of using tubeless radial tires. If you can afford them, go for it. I would love to install some good 11.00X20 radials on my truck. Cannot afford it, but would love it.
Oh, and if anyone tried that trick of using chains to tie-up there axle out here because of a flat tire, well after the State Patrol got through with you, you would never do that again !

Last edited:

Special T

Lol yes the cve guys in state are real ball busters. I dont own any green yet, but I would compare it to wheeling which I am familuar with. You get stuck or break down out in the hinter land and you had better have thought it through. You need communicationrepair supplies tools and likely a good buddy to help bail your rear end out. 90% of the time that everything goes good isnt the problem its the 10% it doesnt.

skinnyR1

Only one? I share your opinion. We've discussed this at length before. Duals help you not get killed changing a tire on the roadside either.
As a note, I see 18 wheelers singled every day.

My truck is singled. I would think that aside from a catastrophic blowout, I'd be able to drive with the flat, assuming completely flat, slowly, for quite a distance. Especially if it is one of the rears that went flat. The tires are so stiff, that even when they are completely flat, they are still well supported by the sidewall and the other axle. And the internal beadlock keeps everything in place. If it is a slow leak, I'd just fill it back up periodically and get to where I am going. They hold so much air, it takes a good 5 minutes to inflate anyhow. It takes minutes to deflate, when pulling the valve stem. So a plug hole? I'd plug it roadside and monitor it.

The front would be a bit different. A catastrophic blowout would side line me immediately. But other than that, I am pretty sure I could navigate to somewhere safe to swap to the spare.

Csm Davis

Okay Rusty easy there, I can show you log trucks with over 100,000 lbs rolling on singles, but that is not the point of this thread we are talking about M35's here most never loaded and most never 50 miles from home. I can't back you and Jeepsinkker on this 100% . As to chaining up an axle to get off a busy road I bet I can win that argument in court every time, especially in a deuce that most states don't require a CDL to drive [don't go down that rabbit hole] the military has been using singles for a long time on these trucks and more often than not the trucks that have had flats were not with other trucks we don't convoy everywhere. The only time I can remember getting 2 flats on 1 leg of a trip was on a dual set on a truck one went flat and took out the other one next to it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Notice that the only one understanding my point of view is also here in Washington. That's because there are only so many areas that you can safely drive and have service for your truck. If you get out there in Eastern Washington there is a whole lot of "nothing" and no one to help for many miles. I'm sure many truck companies are going to singles. Saves them a ton of money not having to buy 4 more tires each truck every time they need new ones. But I'm sure their doing local deliveries or deliveries along the super populated corridors in the east coast. Lets hear from anyone in Montana or Alaska and see what their trucks are running. Also I have never seen a logging truck running singles. I'm talking about "real" logging trucks hauling trees that have a minimum girth of at least 3 feet across that come out of major forests. These guys can not afford breakdowns in the back woods.
Also I'm totally in favor of using tubeless radial tires. If you can afford them, go for it. I would love to install some good 11.00X20 radials on my truck. Cannot afford it, but would love it.
Oh, and if anyone tried that trick of using chains to tie-up there axle out here because of a flat tire, well after the State Patrol got through with you, you would never do that again !
I kinda have to disagree. I've driven a dualled truck that had a tire go flat. Everyone seems to think that you can just keep driving like normal. It doesn't work that way! That tire vibrated so much it was ridiculous. Everyone has their ideas of what will work best, and thats how it goes. Neither one is THE best answer, so you roll the dice and see what happens. As long as you have tools and parts to fix an issue, thats the best you can do.

rustystud

I kinda have to disagree. I've driven a dualled truck that had a tire go flat. Everyone seems to think that you can just keep driving like normal. It doesn't work that way! That tire vibrated so much it was ridiculous. Everyone has their ideas of what will work best, and thats how it goes. Neither one is THE best answer, so you roll the dice and see what happens. As long as you have tools and parts to fix an issue, thats the best you can do.
I never said you could continue driving down the highway at 60mph. What you can do is safely drive at a reduced speed to get off the road to repair it.

rustystud

As a note, I see 18 wheelers singled every day.

My truck is singled. I would think that aside from a catastrophic blowout, I'd be able to drive with the flat, assuming completely flat, slowly, for quite a distance. Especially if it is one of the rears that went flat. The tires are so stiff, that even when they are completely flat, they are still well supported by the sidewall and the other axle. And the internal beadlock keeps everything in place. If it is a slow leak, I'd just fill it back up periodically and get to where I am going. They hold so much air, it takes a good 5 minutes to inflate anyhow. It takes minutes to deflate, when pulling the valve stem. So a plug hole? I'd plug it roadside and monitor it.

The front would be a bit different. A catastrophic blowout would side line me immediately. But other than that, I am pretty sure I could navigate to somewhere safe to swap to the spare.

And where do you live ? Oh yes on the east coast where service help is just minutes away.

skinnyR1

My point was, with my truck singled, that I would still be able to drive it at a reduced speed for quite a ways, if one of the rears went flat. The tire isn't going anywhere with the beadlock. Plus, The other axle and the stiff side walls support it quite a bit.

This has nothing to do with my location.

rustystud

Okay Rusty easy there, I can show you log trucks with over 100,000 lbs rolling on singles, but that is not the point of this thread we are talking about M35's here most never loaded and most never 50 miles from home. I can't back you and Jeepsinkker on this 100% . As to chaining up an axle to get off a busy road I bet I can win that argument in court every time, especially in a deuce that most states don't require a CDL to drive [don't go down that rabbit hole] the military has been using singles for a long time on these trucks and more often than not the trucks that have had flats were not with other trucks we don't convoy everywhere. The only time I can remember getting 2 flats on 1 leg of a trip was on a dual set on a truck one went flat and took out the other one next to it.
The logging trucks in your neck of the woods really don't compare to the ones out here, sorry. The ones here have to go miles into the mountains which your state does not have. Don't you watch "Ax Men" ? LOL !
All I'm saying is if your depending on your truck to get you safely home (with no back-up from the handy service center just down the road) then duals are your best bet. Again anyone from Alaska or Montana or Idaho jump on in here and tell us what you see driving down the road in your state.
Those of you who are running singles don't get me wrong. I think the deuce looks really cool with some 395's mounted up. I am saying for safety sake duals are better. Unless you are running the "run-flats". Which brings up another point, why did the military install "run-flats" ? Because it was unsafe to run singles without them. Pretty hard to get out of Dodge when your tires are flat and your running singles.

rustystud

My point was, with my truck singled, that I would still be able to drive it at a reduced speed for quite a ways, if one of the rears went flat. The tire isn't going anywhere with the beadlock. Plus, The other axle and the stiff side walls support it quite a bit.

This has nothing to do with my location.
Have you ever run your truck with a flat tire ? I have and you will not get far before it is shredded and guts your rim too.
And yes it has a lot to do with your location. No trucking company will be running singles unless they can get help quickly. I have worked in the trucking transportation industry for over 35 years now and I know what the trucking companies are doing. If they can cut costs they will, and going with singles is one way to do that. That is why you will see singled trucks in heavily populated areas where "service help" is nearby. Lets face it, the whole east coast is heavily populated, just look at it from a space view at night.

rustystud

In the oilfield I saw trucks that were running singles fairly often. Varied by company and vehicle use.
Again, how close was "support" for them ? I'm sure it was pretty close by, right ? I'm talking about when you "must" depend on the truck. Like my up coming "Great Alaskan Expedition". And lets face it, those operators will never be out there changing a tire on the side of a road. They will call the coordinator on the radio and have a service truck sent out right now.

red

Service truck could get to them within 24 hours, assuming they had reception. Driver's were expected to just sit and wait.

Both duals and singles have their benefits and downsides. Singles have wider tread for better traction and thicker rubber for less likely of flats. Duals provide more stability with heavy payloads and more spare tires. In remote situations (assuming 1 spare tire is carried and cargo is not at max weight) a deuce running on duals has a total of 5 spare tires. A deuce running on singles has 3 spares.

rustystud

Service truck could get to them within 24 hours, assuming they had reception. Driver's were expected to just sit and wait.

Both duals and singles have their benefits and downsides. Singles have wider tread for better traction and thicker rubber for less likely of flats. Duals provide more stability with heavy payloads and more spare tires. In remote situations (assuming 1 spare tire is carried and cargo is not at max weight) a deuce running on duals has a total of 5 spare tires. A deuce running on singles has 3 spares.
Again, I'm not saying singles are "terrible" !!! I'm saying they are the "Safer" and more "dependable" way to go. If I was just tooling around town with maybe a side trip a few hundred miles away every now and then, then go with singles. Or if you will be driving where service is available then go with singles. But if you "Must" depend on those tires to bring you back then go with duals.
As far as thicker rubber, that depends on the tire manufacturer. I have seen dual tire set-ups where the side walls where over 2" thick ! Think rock quarry trucks. I have also seen single tires with just 1/2" side walls. These where all on 80,000 GVW trucks.

Last edited:

red

Again, I'm not saying singles are "terrible" !!! I'm saying they are the "Safer" and more "dependable" way to go. If I was just tooling around town with maybe a side trip a few hundred miles away every now and then, then go with singles. Or if you will be driving where service is available then go with singles. But if you "Must" depend on those tires to bring you back then go with duals.
As far as thicker rubber, that depends on the tire manufacturer. I have seen dual tire set-ups where the side walls where over 2" thick ! Think rock quarry trucks. I have also seen single tires with just 1/2" side walls. These where all on 80,000 GVW trucks.
I agree, neither setup is wrong, it really just comes down to preference and vehicle use. 11" s dualled and 395's singled are my favorites for deuces and 5 tons.

A benefit towards the duals is weight. 395's are the biggest tire I am willing to pickup/roll around. 11" s are easier to pick up and move.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks