• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35A2 super single 395 install

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Surely they'll make that right..
But thats the type of luck I'd have too...
I've wanted to put singles on mine too, But after reading the thread about dude getting a $2100.oo ticket , and fuel stickers , fuel logs etc etc whatever .I might sell my deuce. I'd hate to see her go ( shes super sweet) but she sits more than she's driven and I sure dont need any 2k tickets etc... decisions decisions
NO, he did not ever come through and make it right.

Special T

I re read the first post and got a good look at the pics... Its a little hard to see them good on my phone. The reason why the military lock ring would not fit was because the tire is meant to go on a much wider wheel and the sidewall of the tire bulged too much to accommodate the taller lock ring. The military lock ring style is/was the strongest in production. It is VERY important to match the correct lock ring to the wheel base. I have seen many strange combinations of mis matched lockring and wheel base that have traveled down the road however it is safest to have the correct one... There are SOME lock rings that can be interchanged with several bases, however the Military base is not one i have ever seen with a different ring on. The up side is, it appears the tire guy was inflating the tire mounted to the truck with the lock ring facing inward... IF there had been a problem the truck would absorb the otherwise deadly explosion.

Jeepsinker

If you do that you will put an awkward load on the bearings. You'd probably be fighting hub leaks left and right. The only right way to do it is to run it like you have it, get some A3 rims, or run duals. Even the A3 rims set them pretty far in up under the bed though.

Oman

That was my thoughts and part of the debate about flipping them, I think I will leave them and like you said, someday, fork out the money for wider rims, but I was surprised, at how well it did in the sand with these tires, I did not have an ounce of trouble, and I was even running them at a high PSI, I did not lower the PSI at all once I got to the sand.

Special T

Stock rims are 7.5" wide 395 should go on a 9-10" wide rim 1200r20 should go on 8.5-9" wheel. It is not nearly as hard on the tire to put a 1200on that wheel than a 395.

Jeepsinker

FWIW, I don't know what you paid for those tires, but it would likely be much more economical to get four more tires, and four more deuce rims ( which can likely be had for free) and dual the rear. A3 rims are high priced, and everyone knows what they are worth. In other words, spend your money on more tires, instead of unreasonably priced rims.

Of course, I'm really in no position to tell another man how to spend his money. That's just what I would do. It's nice to not have to stop in a bad spot just to change a flat on the rear. And duals in the rear give more flotation on sand.

rustystud

Singles are for people that enjoy inconvenience.
Also for those who don't depend on their trucks to get them home. Has anyone ever seen a semi-truck with singles ? No, and you know the reason you won't ? Dependability, and safety. These truckers run the cheapest way they can to make a profit yet they all run doubles in the rear axles. Do any of you watch "Ice Road Truckers" ? Have you ever seen a truck with singles on it ? No you haven't and you most likely never will. When your life depends on it and your out in the middle of "no where" you run doubles even if it costs more for running 4 more tires. The military runs there trucks in convoys usually with a wrecker in there somewhere. We run our trucks just like the professional truckers do "alone" . The bottom line, it's your truck run it the way you chose, but I will always run doubles in the rear. I want to get home.

Smokinyoda

Also for those who don't depend on their trucks to get them home. Has anyone ever seen a semi-truck with singles ? No, and you know the reason you won't ? Dependability, and safety. These truckers run the cheapest way they can to make a profit yet they all run doubles in the rear axles. Do any of you watch "Ice Road Truckers" ? Have you ever seen a truck with singles on it ? No you haven't and you most likely never will. When your life depends on it and your out in the middle of "no where" you run doubles even if it costs more for running 4 more tires. The military runs there trucks in convoys usually with a wrecker in there somewhere. We run our trucks just like the professional truckers do "alone" . The bottom line, it's your truck run it the way you chose, but I will always run doubles in the rear. I want to get home.

I usually agree with what you say, but... I have seen more and more semi tractors come in where I work with singles on the rear tandems. Looks to be the new standard.

Special T

Im seeing logg trucks running 425 super singles & Michelin X1 on drives and trailers. There is an outfit here called Vintage Trucking that has 3 trucks that do. Not to mention all the milk tanker trucks running around.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I usually agree with what you say, but... I have seen more and more semi tractors come in where I work with singles on the rear tandems. Looks to be the new standard.
:ditto: I have seen more than ever on US-highways, this last trip.
Singles are for people that enjoy inconvenience.
Wait until you ran them tubeless, on TL-wheels... it may change your mind about that.

Back in 2002 I upgraded my first Deuce from stock to the Conti 14.5 TL-singles. From then on, no more tire work! I only regret not having it done sooner...

G.

1bonehead

Lots of reasons for running singles are based on where the vehicles run. So many areas charge tolls these days. Tolls are based on the number of tires you run. If you do daily or by weekly tolls running singles can offer substantial savings every week. Therefore paying for themselves in a short period of time.
I love the look of singles but haven't been able to get that gong for one reason or another. Time and cash always don't line up properly sometimes.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rusty - We have a local trucking company named Mesilla Valley Trucking (MVT, like the Goodyears). They run super singles on a vast majority of their trucks for interstate commerce. They also use the belly baffles, moon disk hub caps, and trailer tails, all for fuel efficiency.

While I have experienced flats while off-roading in my singled deuce, they were all while I using the stock wheels which meant I was running tubes. Since changing to MRAP wheels, no more problems. And I frequently drive right through mesquite just to cut down on the amount of steering I have to do.

Special T

I think Rustystud does bring up a good point. You have to be more "Prepared" when running singles. Do you have a spare with you? MV tires are not always easily found when you have a blow out. Do you have the tools/ability to change one yourself? Are you operating in a tire shops service area? Do they know enough to take care of the issue or will they be distracted by the fact that you are running some combo that is out of spec or different than what they normally do. I know of shops that would not mount up your 395 on 7.5"6 hole wheels, or even bolt them in if already mounted. The closest shop to you could be unfamiliar with lock ring style wheels. (strange but ive seen it) The farther you stray away from the Norm the harder it will be to fix a problem if your not prepared. Many of the Milk trucks running super singles dont even carry a spare! Why? because they all operate close to thier supply chain where there is plentiful replacements. In all things there is a trade off, realize what yours are.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks