• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 transmission problem

SeldomSeenSlim

Thanks Tom. There's a diesel shop over in town. I'll see if one of those guys can take a look for me. Or even better, fix the dang thing.

I did see a transmission takeout for sale a few hundred miles away for $750.

Woodsplinter

Hey guys, since all the experts are here together I have a question:
I bought my A2 in March and it has always been difficult to shift into 2nd.
This occurs when starting from a stop. (Yes I've read the pros & cons of doing this)
Sometimes I need to let the clutch out (while in neutral) then put it back in to be able to get into 2nd.
Just wondering if this is normal for a deuce. All the other gears shift fine.
Thanks!
Mark

steelandcanvas

Hey guys, since all the experts are here together I have a question:
I bought my A2 in March and it has always been difficult to shift into 2nd.
This occurs when starting from a stop. (Yes I've read the pros & cons of doing this)
Sometimes I need to let the clutch out (while in neutral) then put it back in to be able to get into 2nd.
Just wondering if this is normal for a deuce. All the other gears shift fine.
Thanks!
Mark
I'm far from a tranny expert, but it sounds as though your second synchro might be a bit worn.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
if you mean at a complete stop, sometimes it won't go into 2nd, yes that is completely normal. just release the clutch slightly while pulling it into 2nd and it will go right in. takes just a little practice to not let the clutch out too far.

tom

Woodsplinter

Tom, thanks. I've been letting the clutch all the way out, pushing it back in and waiting for the gears to slow down before shifting into 2nd. I'll try your technique.
Steel, I was wondering about that too- even when it does go into 2nd it feels rough and it's a bit of a battle to get it into gear.
Any thoughts on that Tom?

nosajb15af

Anyone know where I can buy a first gear countershaft? this gear looks like someone had the sliding gear 1/2 was engaged and hammered on it. Half the gear is spun off, the truck still drives ok, but first engages hard and obviously I cant put much pulling pressure on this gear.

nosajb15af

Haha, this is what im looking at. Any input would be appreciated on where I can get a new or used shaft/gear. Id prefer not to buy an entire transmission.
20130826_090757.jpg

nosajb15af

Well, its not a new shaft, but I think the used is ok. Old gears are heated and dropped in place. Anyone see a reason i shouldn't run this?
20130826_191903.jpg

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1st counter-gear looks much better now!
So drive- and 5th-counter gear were swapped already? Is that dirt I see, to the left side of 5th?? .... or some severely pitted tooth flanks? :?

G.

nosajb15af

1st counter-gear looks much better now!
So drive- and 5th-counter gear were swapped already? Is that dirt I see, to the left side of 5th?? .... or some severely pitted tooth flanks? :?

G.

Both, the dirt has been cleaned up but its pitted. Swapping was easy, pressed off the old shaft, then heated the gears and dropped them on the new. All my gears are slightly pitted one side. The transmission looks like it sat unused in a moisture environment for awhile. But teeth are all in good shape, along with the syncros.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks