• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M416 cargo trailer for M1009

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CycleJay,

I have an M416. My CUCV has driver and passenger side forward antenna mounts. I cannot see the M416 at all when it's behind my CUCV. I only see it when I go around corners. This is a bit unnerving to me as I like to see what's happening behind me. I'm afraid that because the trailer is so small I won't be able to see a problem before it develops into a catastrophe. I've heard too many trailer horror stories {shudder}. I'm used to pulling my 5x8 enclosed Haulmark and my 18 double axle car hauler with my CUCV on the Class 3 hitch. I can see those without a problem. If I need to back up, I disconnect the M416 and move it around by hand if it's unloaded. I've been thinking about buying an M101A2 as they are easier to maneuver and can haul more stuff. The M101A2 is large enough to keep an eye on with the rear view mirror.

If you're concerned about overloading your pintle, check to see if there's a way to add a piece of metal to the bottom of the bracket that can be welded to the rear frame cross member. The guy I bought my truck from bead welded the Class 3 to the truck frame and tacked the bottom of the pintle bracket to the top of the Class 3 hitch. Sorry I don't have a picture to post but if you take a look under the truck you might be able to spot what I'm referring to.

Hope all this helps!

:smile:

rickf

Try pulling a 416 behind a dually with a 11.5 foot slide in camper. And yes I can back it up. No camera either. Back up slow and as soon as you see the trailer you now know where it is headed and correct accordingly.

Rick

salt6

CycleJay,

I have an M416. My CUCV has driver and passenger side forward antenna mounts. I cannot see the M416 at all when it's behind my CUCV. I only see it when I go around corners. This is a bit unnerving to me as I like to see what's happening behind me. I'm afraid that because the trailer is so small I won't be able to see a problem before it develops into a catastrophe. I've heard too many trailer horror stories {shudder}. I'm used to pulling my 5x8 enclosed Haulmark and my 18 double axle car hauler with my CUCV on the Class 3 hitch. I can see those without a problem. If I need to back up, I disconnect the M416 and move it around by hand if it's unloaded. I've been thinking about buying an M101A2 as they are easier to maneuver and can haul more stuff. The M101A2 is large enough to keep an eye on with the rear view mirror.
You guys could just add some of those fiberglass bike whips with the flags to each conner of the trailer. ;)

Oldsouthernboy

Ahh well your your M416 is to much of a bother or your worried about towing. I will give the trailer a loving home and take good care of it I promise to use it and take good care of the trailer.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Salt6: Thanks for the suggestion! Great idea! I have some fiberglass marker poles in the garage I picked up from Home Depot. I'll hook the 416 up to the CUCV and give it a test run with those poles. :p

Oldsouthernboy: I appreciate how much you would love and care for my 416, but my beautiful wife has decided not to part with her trailer. She would like to invest in a cover for it.

Any recommendations on where to get a good quality M416 cover? What price range are they in?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Salt6: Thanks for the suggestion! Great idea! I have some fiberglass marker poles in the garage I picked up from Home Depot. I'll hook the 416 up to the CUCV and give it a test run with those poles. :p

Oldsouthernboy: I appreciate how much you would love and care for my 416, but my beautiful wife has decided not to part with her trailer. She would like to invest in a cover for it.

Any recommendations on where to get a good quality M416 cover? What price range are they in?
You can get the canvas for just over a hundred bucks usually, or a vinyl m101cdn cover would work as well. I'm gonna get a vinyl one because it will match the camo on mine.

Oldsouthernboy

If you want to buy a weather proof, cover with a hinged to made from fiberglass, Sierra 4x4 Mfr makes one. The cost is high a a grand plus shipping, but very nice and will be great to keep things dry.

fireman5199

So..this maybe totally not doable but...Could you put a M1008 rear bumper on a M1009? That would give you the stronger bumper would it not?

This wouldn't fix the rear end gearing or trans cooling but keep the bumper from pulling apart. I don't have anything to look at to compare the two other than the written dimensins and the M1008 is a few inches wider.

leeh725

Wow, this thread is all over the place. It started out on trailers and weights and shifted to non-FMVs. Here's my contribution:

If you tow with that Blazer, scrap that military pintle hook. I have two of those M1009s and have scrapped the hitches on both of them because they are not designed to handle much of anything.

Get a good Class III or IV 2" receiver hitch and mount a pintle hook to it. Go the extra mile and put a normal six or seven way plug on it. Then you will not be restricted in what type of trailer you pull.

I've got a Class V 2" receivers on both my M1008 and M1028, and Class III on each Blazer. It just makes sense.

All three of my Blazers (both M1009s and my '76 K10) have the 3.08 axle ratio. Let me re-assure anyone that they are more than capable of safely hauling a load of any size up to 7000 lbs. I wouldn't go more than 400 to 500 lbs on the tongue without some weight distributing platform.

For the sake of argument, the M1008 and M1028 pintle hook setups were equally unimpressive. I left the hitch intact for appearance. But there is no way on God's green Earth that I would use that thing. For anything more than a 101 trailer, that hitch is completely worthless.

As much fun as these vehicles are to own, you can definitely tell that these things were built on a budget with all of the shortcuts that were taken. I even found that to be the case on my M35A2.

Do yourself right and get the civy hitch with a regular pintle hook. I'm with most of the guys and vote for the M101 with surge brakes. Parts will be readily available. Even if they aren't you can scrap the thing and get another one so cheap that it's hardly worth messing with.

For what little it's worth, that's my whole outlook on the topic.

rickf

Wow, this thread is all over the place. It started out on trailers and weights and shifted to non-FMVs. Here's my contribution:

If you tow with that Blazer, scrap that military pintle hook. I have two of those M1009s and have scrapped the hitches on both of them because they are not designed to handle much of anything.

Get a good Class III or IV 2" receiver hitch and mount a pintle hook to it. Go the extra mile and put a normal six or seven way plug on it. Then you will not be restricted in what type of trailer you pull.

I've got a Class V 2" receivers on both my M1008 and M1028, and Class III on each Blazer. It just makes sense.

All three of my Blazers (both M1009s and my '76 K10) have the 3.08 axle ratio. Let me re-assure anyone that they are more than capable of safely hauling a load of any size up to 7000 lbs. I wouldn't go more than 400 to 500 lbs on the tongue without some weight distributing platform.

For the sake of argument, the M1008 and M1028 pintle hook setups were equally unimpressive. I left the hitch intact for appearance. But there is no way on God's green Earth that I would use that thing. For anything more than a 101 trailer, that hitch is completely worthless.

As much fun as these vehicles are to own, you can definitely tell that these things were built on a budget with all of the shortcuts that were taken. I even found that to be the case on my M35A2.

Do yourself right and get the civy hitch with a regular pintle hook. I'm with most of the guys and vote for the M101 with surge brakes. Parts will be readily available. Even if they aren't you can scrap the thing and get another one so cheap that it's hardly worth messing with.

For what little it's worth, that's my whole outlook on the topic.
Have you ever disassembled the pintle on a M1008? I doubt it the way you are talking.

leeh725

Yes, I have disassembled the complete hitch, brackets, bridles, and entire bumper assembly in each truck I own (M1008A1, M1028A1, M1031 SECM) to clean them up and remove part of the lower bumper bracket to install no-drill Curt hitches in each. When I installed B&W turnover ball hitches in the pickups, I had a bird's eye view of the assembly since I removed each bed. That's when I could easily tell these hitches are not designed for hauling any significant tongue weight.

However, I digress from the original proposed question and follow up discussion with respect for a trailer to pull behind a 1009. The solution is simple and inexpensive. $100 frame mounted receiver hitch and a 30 minute install. It's safe, proven, and expands the possibilities of trailers you can pull behind the Blazer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks