• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 13 Speed Swap

Crf450x

gotcha. my dual disk south bend i had in my hopped up cummins had similar pins (looked more like dowel pins) to keep the intermediate plate from riding on the first and sec stage clutch plates while the pedal was depressed. which is what give it its rattling sound.
Yep same thing. The 5 button thing just confused me. I’m gonna have to ask what that’s about. It’s wrote on every piece.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Rear transmission mounts are not always needed. The mount is designed to flex with torque to keep the tailshaft in line. Over support any weight.

You are running just a 250. It won't be torqueing that much back there.

Bolt the angle iron to the frame rail and use the leaf pack transmission mount setup.

Crf450x

Rear transmission mounts are not always needed. The mount is designed to flex with torque to keep the tailshaft in line. Over support any weight.

You are running just a 250. It won't be torqueing that much back there.

Bolt the angle iron to the frame rail and use the leaf pack transmission mount setup.
So you think that is a better option than the factory mount? Care to say why?

Crf450x

Rubber deteriorates. And causes noises like this

Noted. I will see what I can come up with.

Know any alternatives for the trans temp sensor? I evidently broke mine somewhere along the way. The cheapest oem one I can find is $35. I’d guess any one wire coolant temp sensor would work fine?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Noted. I will see what I can come up with.

Know any alternatives for the trans temp sensor? I evidently broke mine somewhere along the way. The cheapest oem one I can find is $35. I’d guess any one wire coolant temp sensor would work fine?
Yes. On a manual transmission I wouldn't worry about one really. It doesn't need a cooler or temp gauge

74M35A2

Should be 6 buttons. I did mine with all new stuff from Eaton. Important they are exactly perpendicular to the flywheel surface so the clutch releases well and the disc can float and move and release tension off the flywheel side plate. I aligned my buttons with an end wrench and used a combination square along the flywheel lip with the rule sticking straight down into the dish, rotate buttons until each is perfectly parallel with the rule.

Crf450x

Should be 6 buttons. I did mine with all new stuff from Eaton. Important they are exactly perpendicular to the flywheel surface so the clutch releases well and the disc can float and move and release tension off the flywheel side plate. I aligned my buttons with an end wrench and used a combination square along the flywheel lip with the rule sticking straight down into the dish, rotate buttons until each is perfectly parallel with the rule.
Good idea. I’m hoping I can find them locally tomorrow. Supposed to quit raining for a few days and I’d like to get the trans in.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Just had another thought. How well will the leaf spring mount work with the trans not being centered?
Fine. Just make one perch sit out further than the other on the frame. Mine i bolted 2 pieces of angle iron together. Top was for the cab support. Lower was for the trans spring

It only flexes a little bit if you could even see it really without it being in low range and a severe load on it

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
This is a long shot but does anybody know if the Allison yoke will fit the fuller trans?
Probably not. You can get a companion flange for the input on the transfer case and use a 1710 joint type jackshaft. Which is what your trans output yoke is

The mechanics style joint the military uses in that 72 series isn't common in the civilan world

On my transmission swap I moved the transfer case back to make a more common application of parts available

Crf450x

Probably not. You can get a companion flange for the input on the transfer case and use a 1710 joint type jackshaft.

The mechanics style joint the military uses in that 72 series isn't common in the civilan world
Dang. I’m gonna have to look into that. I’ll probably just take my shaft to the driveshaft shop and tell him to make something work.

Spicer made a bastard joint at one time but it’s discontinued and I can’t find one.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Dang. I’m gonna have to look into that. I’ll probably just take my shaft to the driveshaft shop and tell him to make something work.

Spicer made a bastard joint at one time but it’s discontinued and I can’t find one.
Spicer makes a morph joint that is a 92 to 1710. But not to a 72 series. It's small and obsolete

92 series are used on the 915 trucks

Crf450x

Spicer makes a morph joint that is a 92 to 1710. But not to a 72 series. It's small and obsolete

92 series are used on the 915 trucks
Ah I thought 5 tons used the 8.5c/85wb. Never measured mine, just found that in a thread on here somewhere. Either way I guess that plan won’t work.

Crf450x

Another note, just for the information, I decided to go ahead and order that starter spacer and see what happened. It was the right shape and the bolt pattern is correct. But it is .470” thick, the bolt holes are too small, and the raised part around the center hole has to be cut off. So I just had my brother modify that one. He cut off the raised part and cut it down to .330”. I don’t have it back yet, but I’ll post pictures when I install it.

Crf450x

Took some pictures today. Plenty clearance everywhere. From the center of the transmission u joint to the face of the transfer case yoke is 9-1/8”.
95A03E7D-7A1C-4DB4-8707-AE7D0D2B31D7.jpeg
C63CD559-1D92-4571-9057-8C36BD8D0FD4.jpeg
6C914073-F3A0-4AF2-BA89-4A1842EBA7E6.jpeg

Also got some new rear cab mount bushings. Just thought the difference was kinda funny.
9EB28A47-3EB1-4536-934A-6DC6F8FB547A.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks