• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 13 Speed Swap

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

Crf450x

Cause they gave you transfer case mount bushings. Must have been Memphis equipment

They substitute one for the other
Big mikes motor pool. The web page does say they fit both. But it also shows the same nsn as the tm shows for the cab. Should I get different ones...?

Crf450x

If I leave the output shaft speed sensor hole (I assume that’s what it is) empty will fluid leak out? Or is that sealed? If it’s not sealed any idea what the thread size is?

Dipstick

Damn, I'm jealous. I dream of putting a 10 sp Road Ranger in my Deuce, but the Spicer trans is so short and as a result, the distance from the bellhousing to the t-case is too close as well. It looks like you're doing a first rate job!

Crf450x

Damn, I'm jealous. I dream of putting a 10 sp Road Ranger in my Deuce, but the Spicer trans is so short and as a result, the distance from the bellhousing to the t-case is too close as well. It looks like you're doing a first rate job!
More gears equals more fun! Honestly if these had any manual trans I wouldn’t have started this. I just don’t like automatics.
And thanks! I’m doing the best I can, making it up as I go.

Dipstick

I agree. I used to drive an old single axle White 4000 with a 238 Detroit and a 10 sp. Loved that truck! I don't want to get too far off your topic, but I'm 67 and I've never owned a vehicle with an auto. Enough of me mucking around with your thread.

Crf450x

Somewhat off topic but pertains to the cab being off I guess. Started on the dual fuel line today. That plug was fun to get out. Propane torch changed its tone though. Gonna cap it and leave it like that for now. I want to wait until I turn it up a little to see if it actually makes any difference.

Got the starter installed with the .330” spacer. Planning to start it in the next couple days to be sure it’s ok.

Also took all the transfer case linkage pins out and cleaned/greased them. The big one was rusty and almost seized. I put an o ring on each end and a grease hose so I can keep that from happening again. If it’s worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.
C122199F-35D7-4452-B3F5-B2C66E96E564.jpeg
C5275A47-46A1-4D06-9D9C-523DB01334C9.jpeg
27D647CC-8E31-4376-8AE5-4BD1D08278F3.jpeg

74M35A2

Totally forgot. Will do tomorrow morning.

I just realized the flywheel housing has to use the starter in the high mount position because of the frame rail clearance due to the engine shifted over. Dang it. I’ll have to change what I have, and it does not look like the 8.3L uses a 1” thick spacer ring atop an otherwise standard flywheel housing. Yuck.

Crf450x

Totally forgot. Will do tomorrow morning.

I just realized the flywheel housing has to use the starter in the high mount position because of the frame rail clearance due to the engine shifted over. Dang it. I’ll have to change what I have, and it does not look like the 8.3L uses a 1” thick spacer ring atop an otherwise standard flywheel housing. Yuck.
I figured. No big deal at all.

That does not sound like fun. At least you discovered it now rather than later with the engine halfway in.

Crf450x

Finally have a u joint on the way. Went to 2 driveshaft shops and they both laughed when they saw the shaft (story of my life) before I even said what I needed. But a buddy of mine at truck pro found the discontinued spicer joint somewhere in Ohio and it should be here Tuesday. Hopefully that will be all I need.

Crf450x

Put my u joint in today and discovered the jack shaft is too short. Only splined about 3/8” when hooked up. I don’t think that will cut it. Anybody got any ideas? Gonna see if it can be lengthened but I have my doubts.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Put my u joint in today and discovered the jack shaft is too short. Only splined about 3/8” when hooked up. I don’t think that will cut it. Anybody got any ideas? Gonna see if it can be lengthened but I have my doubts.
You need a companion flange for the input on the transfer case and a 1710 companion flange for the shaft and another u joint like you have. That will give you 3 in

Crf450x

You need a companion flange for the input on the transfer case and a 1710 companion flange for the shaft and another u joint like you have. That will give you 3 in
I believe it would be too long....where would you get a companion flange like that anyway? I couldn’t find one the last time I looked.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You need meritor A-3280-U-7535 companion yoke for the input shaft on the transfer case.

You need companion flange for the driveshaft part #7348215. Its the same flange as the transfer to front tandem uses. 1710. Every other flange on the truck shafts are 1610. I probably have one laying around.

You would be better to ditch that morph joint and make it a full 1710 joint and shaft

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks