• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making a light bar over the cab.....Making progress....almost ready to install

Kaiser67M715

Just a little input. But run covers if you don't less chance of being a "violation".

NH law is 4 forward facing headlights, any more require covers

Truckoholic

Yeah, this really intrigues me because I lived in California for most of my life, and I know in California specifically, that it's the same thing as NH. Maximum of 4 headlights to the front, and auxillary driving lights are required to be covered when on public roadways. So you would NEVER see guys with rows of KC lights over their pickup cabs without covers on them. So when these LED light bars came out, I wondered how they were going to enforce that. I've never seen these LED light bars with covers on them. And then it raises the question of is one light fixture considered ONE light, or would they count the individual LEDs in the fixture? California has specific laws about where the lights can even be mounted even if they are covered up on the highway, which I think it ridiculous and overstepping their bounds. Because if it is for off road use, and it is covered on the highway, it is of no concern to them. But yeah, I've been really curious to find out if people have been getting pulled over for having these LED light bars uncovered. Because while I said I've never seen rows of uncovered KC lights in Calfornia, in the past few years I HAVE been seeing these LED light bars on peoples roofs uncovered. I personally feel like it is your own responsibility to not "USE" them on the highway, and do not feel it is Law Enforcements place to make you "Cover" them. What a pain in the butt every time you want to go off road, to have to remove the covers.

Now I live in Oregon, and have not taken the time to familiarize myself with Oregon's laws regarding these types of lights, but I sure see a lot of guys driving around on the highway with them uncovered, just as it should be. Blind people, then okay, get a ticket. But I really don't think a person should have to cover them. And as far as the height of them?? I've never heard of that being a problem except when they are being used as headlights. The Federal headlight height law is 54 inches off the ground measured at the center of the light. That is nationwide. Yet these M939 series trucks headlights are already over legal height with the super single tires on. All states have their own strange little laws regarding additional lights like these LED light bars though, so you should look up your specific states laws on vehicle lighting.

Kaiser67M715

I think he means worthless if you don't use it on road. If you only use a light bar 2% out of total use of the truck, was it really worth it?

Opinions really at that point

DeuceDaddy

The brackets not bent would be $50.00 per pair and $100.00 per pair if bent cause they can only bend them one way, then have to cut and weld the bracket back on (which is how mine are).

This is is what they cost me. I don't want to profit on these, just help fellow members out.

They thought it it was a one time job so they deleted the program after they made mine.

Let me me know if you want some and I can get them done in about three days so it would be cost plus shipping.

Thanks.

Goobs
I'll take a non bent set if you are doing this.

The King Machine

This is really nice work. It's funny because I had planned to do the very same thing, right down to where you mounted them. I was going to use one long light but it looks like you already did that research. The only thing I was thinking of adding on was a very modest piece of sheet metal formed up to look like a sun visor. It will help keep the glare off of the hood when the lights are on and sun out of your eyes during the day.

In the picture you can see the current set up I have. But the home built headache rack doesn't really work well with the cargo cover. So I'm going to take it off and go the way you did

Nice work

Attachments

Last edited:

74M35A2

I made a one piece 72" LED bar for my 925 by disassembling two new Chinese bars, cutting to length, TIG welding together, and then ordering a custom cut single piece of Lexan (mail order). It went together great and makes an absolute TON of light. Like, a dangerous amount. You could do an engine swap 50 yards out, no problem. But it has a crazy resonance sound to it I need to figure out how to get out of it. My next step there is to try to tie capacitors into it, or cut the electrical linking between the LED boards, and feed them separately from 2 different power lines. If I am using 10 boards, maybe cut them at 4 and 6 so they don't oscillate amongst each other.

This has been a very informative thread. Where did you find the light switch box? I've been looking for something like that for my M923 to do something similar.

loosescrews

This has been a very informative thread. Where did you find the light switch box? I've been looking for something like that for my M923 to do something similar.
Code3 and some towing suppliers sell switch racks like those, I've got an older one laying around I picked up at a flea market for 5 bucks. Need to get on my lightbar now I have seen this.

Goobs

Hey STLZombieHunter

I got it from ebay. Apparently they are common in the use of boats. They are 24v and have individual circuit breakers.

Thanks for for the compliments.

Goobs

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks