• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Me Vs Windsor Township - Victory

Crazyguypa

This is somewhat of a long winded story so bear with me…….

Last Nov I won a M35A2C from GL, waited for ever and received the truck on 1/4/08. Waited 4 months for my SF-97 (5/12/08 ) and got my plates on the same day. Received a letter from my HOA (5/20/08 ) stating I had to get rid of my truck since it was not in normal use. The letter was dated 5/13/08, the day after I got my tags.

Too late, it’s a registered vehicle now. The letter stated the township was notified and I should have received something from the already, well I didn’t. That was the Friday before Memorial day, and we were just heading out for a camping trip over the long weekend. When I got back, on Tuesday, I pre-emptively called the Zoning officer to talk about the issue. We talked for 45 mins on the phone, and he said it looks like I would fall into section 302.1 part 3. (http://www.windsortwp.com/ordinances/zoning/ZoningOrdinances.pdf)

We talked about this and I don’t meet any of the criteria for this ordinance, my “truck” as it is titled and registered by the state of Pennsylvania and it is also tagged as an “antique” vehicle.

A month goes by and nothing. June 20 I receive a registered letter from the township stating I am in violation of ordinance 302.1 part 1 and 2. I’m now dumbfounded, and ave no idea what I am violating. Since I got the letter after the township building closed, I call Monday morning. I talk to the zoning officer to find out exactly what I am violating and he tells me, “I consider that a recreational vehicle” and basically I have to comply with that part of the ordinances. Basically I have 2 choices: comply with the nonsense or appeal the violation.

Guess which one I am doing…

For those of you who had met me at Aberdeen this past year, you may have realized I have a chip on my shoulder. I grew up in Jersey and I don’t take crap from anyone.

To appeal the violation its $350.00…. and $650.00 for my laywer. So I’m out a thousand dollars because some Maryland woman transplant (this is how it all started) started complaining because she lost a HOA board member election.

Anyway, to make some closure to this rant. Yesterday I called the local State Representative and talked to one of the guys in the office. I explained the story to him, and as a surprise to me, he was a military/us history major in college and was familiar with my type of vehicle. He didn’t understand ho they can say my Deuce ½ is a “recreational vehicle”. So the local representative office is looking into it.

I also sent a email out to all the local new stations and within an hour or 2 one of the stations sent me back an email and wanted to interview me. That was last nights first story at 11pm. http://www.whtm.com/news/stories/0808/545837.html

I was shocked by the quick response. To make the matter even better, another local news station FOX43, of whom my neighbors daughter is an editor, is coming out tonight at 715pm to interview me.

The zoning board is scheduled for next wed night at 6pm and the news stations are going to be there.

If anyone has experienced anything similar, pm me with the info, I am going to take all the info I can get and stick it to the township.

http://www.windsortwp.com/ordinances/RecreationalVehicleOrdinance.pdf

docthrush

RE: Me Vs Windsor Township

Ill send you a pm, as I said in another post I have similar issues all the time. I live in reading but have some frindes from the jeep club that are down in that area. If theres anything that we can do to help let us know.

Doc

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: Me Vs Windsor Township

Crazyguypa said:
I grew up in Jersey and I don’t take crap from anyone.
Really? Wow, I grew up in Jersey and don't take crap from anyone either! We must know each other somehow....

Good luck with this...I hate hearing all the HOA and zoning problems people on this website have and it make me sick to my stomach. Makes me think, "this is why we pay thousands in taxes every year? For our so-called "representatives" to tell us what we cannot own on our own property?"

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RE: Me Vs Windsor Township

Frank, that was a great TV interview. I hope that you are able to round up plenty of support from your neighbors and other MV owners in the area. I hate to hear that it's going to cost you a grand to defend your right to park it at your house, but I don't blame you a bit for fighting. Please keep us posted and let us know if there is anything we can do to help in the fight.

jimm1009

Talk about a load of really ripe BULL SH&T!!!

That ordinance is not legal. This is a violation of your civil liberties and pursuit of happiness as guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution.

I can not have a voice in it since I don't live there but I would have everyone that signed this ordinance fired and barred from any future employment in any government organization with that state.
Please, ANYONE living in this state write a letter to the township and the state representative and get these "spooge-bags" out of office and get this ordinance repealed.
If there is anything that I can do from outside of the area, please let me know.
People that think these things up should be barred from any government employment!
Jim Zehr, Lafayette, LA
jimm1009@yahoo.com

powerhouseduece

let us know what happens and when you win you should have a little get togher and im sure that we could circle your naborhood with dueces!! lets see what they could do about that!!!

Crazyguypa

Thanks for the positive comments already guys. They (the zoning board) still have a week to basically say we don't agree with the zonign officer and drop the issue... but I doubt that will happen. This township is notorious for violating their own laws, and I just won't roll over. The more publicity the better I think. I am sure the local VFW guys from where I am a member will show up. If the ordinance was cut and dry, black and white and I was in violation, then ok you got me. But for one guy to say "I think its this... so ha", doesn't sit well with me.

Crazyguypa

I'm thinking a cook out at the house with about 10 or so trucks sitting around the development. Bet she (the complainer) wouln't like Bruce Kubu's 900 series sitting outside the house. That would send her over the top..... :shock:

sprucemt

In NY State you would go to the local Board of Appeals to appeal the Code Enforcement Officers determination. If you are appealing a Planning Board decision, you need to sue the planning board with an Article 78 directly to the courts.

Curious if PA is similar.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I too hope you stick it to them. $1000 isn't too bad if you think about how much it would cost to store it at a facility for storage for the rest of the time you own it. Good luck Hoss.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That ordinance is clearly meant to keep dirt bikes and ATV's under control... Oh, and let's not forget "Pocket Rockets"... :cookoo:

The problem is, the definition of recreational vehicle is pretty vague, but the fact that is says "...for off-road recreational use..." should be enough. Have you ever had it "off-road" for recreation? Even if you have taken it of the pavement, does that mean the old lady who ran up on the curb and across someones front lawn with her Lincoln can no longer keep it in the Township? Of course not! That is total BS. Anyone who ever drove their car on their grass would be in violation, or anyone who owns a 4wd and has taken it to an off-road park even once (even if it's their daily ride) cannot keep their vehicle there.
Ludicrous. Keep us posted.

And, I'd take them to small claims court over the $1000 once you win.

Somemedic

In indiana we dont have to plate our snowmobiles, 3 and 4 wheelers... those are considered recreational vehicles. Those vehicles are also NOT for use on public roadways, hence cannot be plated for road use. Thats my take on wat ur saying

Are they stating that ur 35 is a motorhome? You cant have a camper at your house according to the HOA? Id say the HOA needs to have a clear definition of what a "recreational vehicle" is so everyone is clear. Thats where you could hamstring them. According to this a "dual sport" motorcycle, although plated and road legal, is a violation of the ordinance as is a jeep or a 4x4 pick up.

Im not sure about Penn and there motor veh laws but Id bet u cant plate an off road rv. If you already have a plate on ur truck then I would think the commonwealth of Pennsy says ur a roadworthy, legal truck owner and I would also think the state's definition would supercede a township ordinance

What a load... america is going to hell cause of lawyers and femi-nazis who think our trucks are dangerous or not pretty.

Pawnshop

It's always ONE neighbor mad at the world that screws it up for everyone else, my brother had a similar incident over a car that he seldom drove, someone from the HOA from an adjacent neighborhood (not even ours) decided it was INOP and got the city to send a "move it or loose it" notice, which was ignored because we lived in the county (not the city) and nothing came of it. The squealer got his in the end and moved away to somewhere he was not known, but I am sure he did the same krap there, I feel sorry for his current neighbors:(

Both you AND your MV are veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces and should be treated with the respect you have both EARNED serving our Nation!

breslin

Great interview. I hope you are able to keep the truck where it is. I do believe that some people are just born to make life miserable for other people.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks