• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Meet Mr Rusty

cucvrus

DSCF5755.jpgDSCF5756.jpgDSCF5757.jpgDSCF5758.jpgDSCF5759.jpgDSCF5760.jpgThis is a few shots of the underside. I used the original bed mounting holes. I like to do Modifications that can be removed if someone so desires in the future. For now I think this will be Mr Rusty's last rebuild. From this point on it will just be an annual check-up and PM to keep him from slipping back into terminal again. I diid not do a total rebuild on this unit I just done a lot of needed repairs to keep it from going further backwards.

cucvrus

DSCF5764.jpgDSCF5765.jpgDSCF5766.jpgDSCF5767.jpgDSCF5768.jpgDSCF5769.jpgDSCF5770.jpg
Today I spent most of the day working on Mr Rusty and the Jersey Indian. I want to get both of these plow truck projects completed by the end of next week. I want to keep the OD Green fiberglass slats on Mr Rusty. My Son thinks I should paint them tan. ????? I told him they break up the tan a bit and look good. I must admit I did chop up 2 sets of brand new troop seats. They were 12 or 14 ft long and I chopped them up for Mr Rusty and another project I am working on. It is in it's fledgling state of design so I don't want to blow my cover on it. I am making something from scrap that I think will be unique.

Attachments

cucvrus

I replaced the vacuum line from the vacuum pump to the injection pump. That truck drives great now. it has 3:73 gears and really runs good. I must get a set of wiper blades for it tomorrow and get it down to the exhaust and alignment shop. i am on the home stretch with this long expensive project. the owner is very happy with the results and never blinks when I give him an updated bill. I am glad he appreciates the work I am doing. That is hard to find in today's world. A lot oi people want to get by with just rigging and doing everything on the cheap cheap. Cheap is the most expensive way to go. Or they want everything perfect for nothing. I try to do the best I can and keep everyone happy and with in budget. Thanks for looking. My garage will not be empty for long. My Son wants to buy a furnace for the garage. i just close up over winter and rough it as long as it is not raining or snowing. I work outside in the cold. I remember putting a clutch in my Diesel Chevette 25 years ago when it was -20. And I had to do it twice in the same week because the pressure plate broke when I backed it out of the garage. I will post tomorrow. i want to complete these 2 plow trucks this week. Mr Rusty & the Jersey Indian.

2deuce

You had a diesel chevette and I had a diesel Isuzu and we both run CUCV's. Helps explain why I read all of your posts, I guess. I had a bearing go out in the transmission on the Isuzu, but it was summer. I delivered mail out of that car back in 1983 and 84, 5 speed and all, the all being tiny interior(LS coupe).

cucvrus

I had 5 Diesel Chevettes, 4 Diesel Isuzu 4x4 pups. 1 Diesel Isuzu 4x2 pup 1 Isuzu Turbo Diesel Trooper 4 x 4 and 2 gas Isuzu Troopers 4 x 4. They were all great vehicles. Rust killed everyone of them. Chevettes had 300-400 K on them.Shock towers rotted out and the front shocks went thru the hood on 2 of them. Pups and Troopers rusted frames out from under them. Isuzu gave me a brand new frame in 1991 for my 1982 Isuzu Pup 4 X 4 truck. It was the second 1982 Isuzu diesel 4 x 4 pick up imported with the Isuzu badging. The ones I owned before were Chevrolet Luv trucks. All diesels. I had to change the frame myself and I did it in one weekend. I used 2 air jacks and removed the cab in my barn and reassembled the rest of the truck frame up outside in the stones. I was much younger then but I still remember the bolt sizes and how much I liked that truck. It got 38 MPG. The Chevettes got 50 - 62 MPG. All were stick 5 speeds and the transmissions lasted about 150 K and needed bearings on all the Isuzus I owned. Thanks for the Reminisces.

BnaditCorps

I had 5 Diesel Chevettes, 4 Diesel Isuzu 4x4 pups. 1 Diesel Isuzu 4x2 pup 1 Isuzu Turbo Diesel Trooper 4 x 4 and 2 gas Isuzu Troopers 4 x 4. They were all great vehicles. Rust killed everyone of them. Chevettes had 300-400 K on them.Shock towers rotted out and the front shocks went thru the hood on 2 of them. Pups and Troopers rusted frames out from under them. Isuzu gave me a brand new frame in 1991 for my 1982 Isuzu Pup 4 X 4 truck. It was the second 1982 Isuzu diesel 4 x 4 pick up imported with the Isuzu badging. The ones I owned before were Chevrolet Luv trucks. All diesels. I had to change the frame myself and I did it in one weekend. I used 2 air jacks and removed the cab in my barn and reassembled the rest of the truck frame up outside in the stones. I was much younger then but I still remember the bolt sizes and how much I liked that truck. It got 38 MPG. The Chevettes got 50 - 62 MPG. All were stick 5 speeds and the transmissions lasted about 150 K and needed bearings on all the Isuzus I owned. Thanks for the Reminisces.
OH MY!

That is some serious MPG

corvette9

I had 2 diesel Chevettes and 1 diesel Chevy Luv truck. My brother and I drove the Luv truck till it rotted so bad the frame broke behind the cab. I have pictures of me lifting it with one of my m543,s ( 5 ton wrecker) in to the back of our 5 ton dump truck for it's last trip to the scrap yard. Pic was shot in the early 80's
IMG_0103.jpg
Brian G.

Last edited:

rustystud

The Isuzus diesel engine is one of the best if not "the" best car diesel out there (Mercedes is still probably number one) . My good buddy who is also a Master Mechanic and 3 others at the transit dept who work with me, also own the Isuzus diesels in trucks. They all swear by them and most have over 200,000 miles on them ! One guy has gone through 2 bodies but the engine is still running great.

cucvrus

I will be delivering it to him the first week of December if all goes as planned. I have an appointment at the shop for a complete exhaust and an alignment. I was thinking stainless steel for the exhaust but I pictured this massive pile of rust in 10 years and this nice shiny stainless steel exhaust. i am running the pipes out the back because of the lack of a bed side for lack of a better reason. I just think with that nice open area behind the wheels the exhaust should exit out back. Texas style. I want to hang mudflaps behind the wheels. He has been visiting and has no problem paying for any ideas I come up with. Rare in today's world of a quick fix inexpensive repair. That does not happen when you do things meticulously. I told him up front the rust whore is never sleeping and the best thing would be to update it annually. A sort of repair everything each year and not let it get out of control like it was. They last 10 times longer that way. Thanks for looking. I have another project I am wrapping up before the snow flies and then I will work as I feel like it. Son wants heat in the garage. i don't care but Son will be paying for it. I use the cold as a time of rest and only repair as needed. It has worked for me for years. If it don't start I don't drive it. If it is broken and i have something else top drive I let it broke. Except for the 3 CUCV M1008 / M1009 / M1028A2 snow plow trucks. They are all ready to go. Now all I need is snow. You inspired me when you fixed up the Dude m1028A1. That is your trucks name the Dude. I found a package of Zig-Zag rolling papers under the seat when it came from DRMO back in 1995. I said wow Dude this truck rocks. From that point on we called that truck Dude. Hey get in the thread with the mileage. 173K with no major or modifications.

2deuce

I remember getting 50mpg out of my I-mark, but usually it was closer to 40 because I drove mostly city and it was floored a lot as there was not much acceleration, everything was passing you, unless the downhill was long enough. When you had a hill in front of you that meant I would be decelerating and shifting with an amazing loss of MPH very soon. I didn't have a M35 back then, but now that I have driven many they resemble each other in this respect. Certainly was a dependable engine. If the glow plugs burned out, no problem, just don't turn it off, it would idle my 8hr shift at work and be all warmed up for my 3 mi trip home. Sadly the trunk rotted out and I didn't like diesel fumes burning my eyes, so it got donated to the church auction.
When I bought it new back in '81 the salesman told me the engine would easily outlast the body. I thought at the time that was an odd sales pitch, but it was the truth.

Last edited:

rustystud

I remember getting 50mpg out of my I-mark, but usually it was closer to 40 because I drove mostly city and it was floored a lot as there was not much acceleration, everything was passing you, unless the downhill was long enough. When you had a hill in front of you that meant I would be decelerating and shifting with an amazing loss of MPH very soon. I didn't have a M35 back then, but now that I have driven many they resemble each other in this respect. Certainly was a dependable engine. If the glow plugs burned out, no problem, just don't turn it off, it would idle my 8hr shift at work and be all warmed up for my 3 mi trip home. Sadly the trunk rotted out and I didn't like diesel fumes burning my eyes, so it got donated to the church auction.
When I bought it new back in '81 the salesman told me the engine would easily outlast the body. I thought at the time that was an odd sales pitch, but it was the truth.
I would love to pick-up a Isuzus diesel truck, but around here it is well known how long the engines last and the great mileage they get. So they command a high price ! I just refuse to pay $4000.00 to $5000.00 for a 30 to 35 year old truck !

cucvrus

I have Mr Rusty back at my shop. It appears that Mr Rusty surges when you let off at 55 - 65 MPH. Mr Rusty does not have 456 gears. It has 373 gears. I drove it on the interstate and it will surge up and down when you let off the fuel. Then it has a blank spot to pick up acceleration again. I have changed the filter today, lift pump and injection pump in the past year. Any ideas. It is very noticeable only at highway speed. it accelerates fine and has ample power. ???.

cucvrus

I have Mr. Rusty coming back in the shop again. The owner called me and said that he smells oil at highway speed. He said it don't appear to be leaking but the smell is there. Any ideas? I talked to him on the phone. That is all he said and described to me. I was thinking the small rubber elbows that vent into the intake from the CDR valve. I have not seen Mr. Rusty for over a year. I will figure it out when it gets here.

cucvrus

I don't remember. No one tried to assist me so I didn't bother answering back. I know it has not been anything he mentioned in our recent conversations. Could have been bad fuel or the fuel filter. Not sure.

o1951

I follow you, did not say anything because never owned one, and could not help you.
I do not want to fill threads with useless comments.
My reason for asking about the fix was so if someone has the same problem in the future, they can search the archives and find your solution.

As for current issue, I think your thoughts are on target. Only other thing would be a very small leak above manifold. He would smell it, but never see oil on ground because it burned up.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks