• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Member Broke Down, SC

themadride

My mechanical knowledge is limited, and I do not yet own a MV, but I have had experience with leaked oil ruining an alternator. In my experience with the ongoing problem in my truck, it took as little as a few weeks to ruin one. Both times when the alternator began to fail it would work intermittently. I would think it had failed, barely make it home, only to find that it would continue to work enough to get by for another week before going completely bad.
If the alternator has any oil on it, I would wash it off as best you can and it may work marginally better.

Also, Gorilla tape works pretty good on hoses. Much better than regular duct tape. Again, this is my limited knowledge from my regular vehicles.
I really barely have any idea what I'm talking about, so someone may want to correct me about the alternator and negate what I said.

Good luck. If I could help with a V6 truck I sure would! You are in my back yard.

Very impressed with the community here. Amazed actually.

bigugh20

22 volts at output of alt2 to ground is pretty close to the 24 volts you're looking for, one batt at 14 volts and the other one dead sounds like maybe a bad battery? would that cause the gen light to stay off?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Thinkink

I have been following this since the start, the truck was doing fine TILL the motor took a dump, NO electrical problems, after the install, problems, seems to me that either oil took out a alt. or a wire got hooked up wrong, ( very easy to do), another thought, a wire got pulled or rubbed across something and caused a short ( again easy to do), taking out the alt. and battery, so with those thoughts, no matter how many new batteries are installed, the problem will remain

The fix could be as simple as pulling the alt apart, cleaning the oil off the brushes and commutator if it is oil soaked

Last edited:

Stonepicker1

Problems again.
Broke down on I-95, south between exit 48 and 38.
I stop and got fuel. Got back on 95 and about 5 miles down the road the engine started to knock. I pulled over and poped the hood. Oil was coming out the pass side valve cover. Sounded just like what happen the first time.

Phone internet not good.
I put a missing ground on the Gen 1 and installed new battery. Charging good now. 14.67.

Stonepicker1

Problems again.
Broke down on I-95, south between exit 48 and 38.
I stop and got fuel. Got back on 95 and about 5 miles down the road the engine started to knock. I pulled over and poped the hood. Oil was coming out the pass side valve cover. Sounded just like what happen the first time.

Phone internet not good.
I put a missing ground on the Gen 1 and installed new battery. Charging good now. 14.67.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I wish I could help but I am 270 miles from you.

You have a trailer with you? And you are on your way back to Coconut Creek?

Stonepicker1

Still at rest area in GA. I pulled the glow plugs to check compression. All good but the drivers sid rear glow plug tip was missing. I pulled the injector and removed half of the tip. The rest is? ??.
Yes, i have a kock coming from that cyl.
Need help on this one.

Stonepicker1

Some options.. I have a 30kw on a trailer that im pulling. Could drop the generator at another members place and drive my truck up on the trailer. All i would need is a tow vehicle.
Some Florida members could help with the tow. I would pick up the gen next month..

Anyone have an ideal on how we can make this happen?
Thanks

Stonepicker1

Some options.. I have a 30kw on a trailer that im pulling. Could drop the generator at another members place and drive my truck up on the trailer. All i would need is a tow vehicle.
Some Florida members could help with the tow. I would pick up the gen next month..

Anyone have an ideal on how we can make this happen?
Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe call Pete(PCtrans).

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
poppop is north of you, off I-16 in Brooklett, GA. As doghead said, see if you can get Pete. If he's nearby, you could put everything on one of his trailers!

jwaller

I had a glow plug die in my hmmwv, lost half the tip on it as well. it banged around for about 50miles and then got spit out the exhaust. not what you would want to happen to a nice new motor but if you are stuck and it's your only way of getting moving again then you might could consider it.

Glow plug tips typically don't just break off after getting fuel and getting back on the road. sounds like something got in there and broke it off but where that thing is in the pre-chamber there really is almost no way that can happen.

If it were me I'd replace the glow plug and get back on the road.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Florida East Coast members!!! Anybody in Jacksonville FL area, or south of there, with a large truck to towbar Stonepicker down the road a piece? He is getting towed to the FL/GA line right now, and will probably spend the night near there at a motel. If anyone can help him out call him @ 954-812-9840 or myself at 941-650-2525.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks