• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Member Broke Down, SC

bigugh20

It was great to meet you guys!. What a outstanding group of guys and gals! When i rolled out this morning, we had the new motor in, all of the accessories re-installed and tight, radiator etc back in. Phil was bolting up the flex plate. Left to finish was exhaust pipes and tightening up the motor mounts.. Mitch was finishing up on the topside with linkages and electrical hookups. Starter still has to go back in, along with fluids and have to figure out something with the switch that goes on the side of the IP to make it compatible. I wish I could be there to see it fire up!

Attachments

Stonepicker1

Update.
Everything is bolted in. Tried starting but not getting fuel out of the injector pump.
Fuel is coming from the filter to the IP, but nothing out the injector lines.
We ran a 24v hot wire to the top of the hmmwv IP and it did click.
Mike is getting his slave cables so Micth can give me a jump with his duce.

More to follow.

Stonepicker1

Forget....we couldn't use the 6.2 oil pan due to the rear of the pan not fitting tight on the block.
The 6.5 pan worked great. I have 2 inchs of space betweet the pan and axle.
Had to get two adapter fitting to mount the oil lines in the block next to the oil filter.
Hopefully in a few hours i'll be up and running.

Stonepicker1

Forget....we couldn't use the 6.2 oil pan due to the rear of the pan not fitting tight on the block.
The 6.5 pan worked great. I have 2 inchs of space betweet the pan and axle.
Had to get two adapter fitting to mount the oil lines in the block next to the oil filter.
Hopefully in a few hours i'll be up and running.

asgtoolman

Just started reading this forum tonight; wish I could have made it over to Columbia to see y'all in ACTION last night!
It's always hard to comprehend the assistance that comes pouring in at a moments notice when a member gets in trouble.
To FERRO and others, thanks for representing us South Carolineans so well.

Stonepicker1

Just got done doing a test drive.
Unbelievable power with this new GEP 6.5l engine.
After rechecking, looks like only a loose rad hose clamp that needs tighten.

I"ll be checking out the truck in the morning before we get back on the road.

Reactions: DUG

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Phil took it for a run down the street and found a little antifreeze coming out of a place on the top radiator hose where it was crimped and cut the rubber. He says it has lots of power - he could lay rubber with the dualies. We will go back over in the morning and put the old engine in the can, hook up the trailer and let him hit the road back to sunny (and warm) Florida!. More info later. Thanks to jwaller for technical support!

ABN173

Wow, I have been in the field some this week and missed this thread. SP1 I'm glad it worked out for you! Many thanks Ferro and the rest of the SC crew that helped out. Once again I am reminded why I love this site so much! Great job guys!

-Dale

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I applaud all of you folks who came together to help a member is crisis. The unselflishness you all displayed is the pinnacle of decent man kind. I'm honored to be a member of such a prestigious group.

MitchG

Well the moter really sounds good. Many thanks again to Ferro, Craig and Mike. Thanks as well to JWaller for his excellent technical support. Phil and PJ, I hope you guys have a safe and "uneventful" trip back to the sunshine state.

Oh yeah I have some video of the beast coming to life but I can't figure out how to get it off my camera right now. I'll p[ost it up later!!!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to hear it is in and opt test is sat! I had to unfortunetly head off to work at 5am right after we got the new engine in on the mounts and bolted to the bellhousing. I had to drive the 5ton back to the museum in Winnsboro, then get my pickup to go to the base. Wound up staying up all day at work, different things going on, etc. By the time I layed my head down, I had been up 36 hrs.

Yes, outstanding showing by Mike, Mitch, Craig, Phil, and PJ. I wish we could have gotten pictures of what we had to do to get the engine and crate off the 818. Mitch really is the star of this show, providing us with a place to work and tools, and his wife cooking a 5 star meal for us.

I too wish I could have stayed until the test drive, but life intervenes. Thanks for the tech support Kenny, Eric, and John.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I forgot to add that Makincold (Tim) graciously let me use his m818 (that the engine got loaded onto at Jackson) to pull Phil to Mitch's and unload the engine. So thanks to Tim as well.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Phil and PJ took off down the road to Florida about 1pm. They should make the FL state line about 6pm and will probably stop just south of Jacksonville for the night. He wants to baby the new engine till it has had enough time to break in, so mainly speeds in the mid 50's.

Stonepicker1

Well i'm broke down again. About 20miles down the road we stopped to see if we had any leaks. Tje pass side valve cover was leaking. So we GPS the nearess walmart to get oil for the trip. After stopping at walmart i found that the rubber oil line from the engine block to the rad has a pin hole and i'm leaking oil bad.
Going to buy some oil and see if napa has a hose.

My cell. 954-812-9840