• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MV Addiction filled. Reis the Beast M1078A0 is born

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be happy to send you my old one. It would make for a fine conversation piece sitting on your desk.

;p
Im afraid it would resemble the other one on my desk that doesnt work !!!! This would be a great chance to do a solid for one of your brother SS member and make you feel good about yourself for not being a stingy and spolied and unwiling to share !

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im afraid it would resemble the other one on my desk that doesnt work !!!! This would be a great chance to do a solid for one of your brother SS member and make you feel good about yourself for not being a stingy and spolied and unwiling to share !
And to put your mind at ease about me sending it back ship me a box with the return info and postage already on it so i would'nt have an excuse to not send it back after testing was concluded

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
No, no...bookends !

All the kids are using them these days.

Your welcome...
Bookends... Heck, these young'uns today don't know what a book is.
They do it all on their smart phone.

Thinking that "the smarts" all ran out of that hole in the side of their heads.
They definitely don't need bookends!

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

Lostchain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HOOAH!!!!

We are all fixed and 100%, stuck injector and valves just a bit on the tight side. Readjusted per the TM, put some stiction eliminator in the filter and tank, and took it for a 100mile run, and she once again purrrrrs like a cat.

Glad it wasn't anything serious.
What stiction eliminator did you use?

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So got a question?

Might be dumb.. but when I make my connections for the 12k Warn 12V winch, which terminals should I use to feed the monster.. same terminals I have the battery charger hooked to or should I use +/- on the left battery or + on left and - on right.

Don't want to let the smoke out, with these batteries, it would be a fireworks S-hit show
1666322342223.png

Last edited:

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice!!! Have you purchased from this website?

I checked the website for reviews and scam reports and it doesn’t look good. The website and domain was created less then 6 months ago.
Scamdoc.com gives it a 2%, “Very bad trust index”

If you haven’t purchased from this site yet, be careful!

No, I havent, but was considering ordering one to see. Maybe I will keep looking LOL

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So got a question?

Might be dumb.. but when I make my connections for the 12k Warn 12V winch, which terminals should I use to feed the monster.. same terminals I have the battery charger hooked to or should I use +/- on the left battery or + on left and - on right.

Don't want to let the smoke out, with these batteries, it would be a fireworks S-hit show
View attachment 882459
Wow. This one bothers me... I clicked the Thumbs Up, and read two or three more articles and I keep coming back to this one.

You definitely need to be making your power draw for 12 volts off the correct battery.
I mean either way you wire it twelve is twelve - BUT letting the smoke out only happens one time.
AND recharging the batteries will be important too.

Do you know which one is feeding the truck with 12?

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow. This one bothers me... I clicked the Thumbs Up, and read two or three more articles and I keep coming back to this one.

You definitely need to be making your power draw for 12 volts off the correct battery.
I mean either way you wire it twelve is twelve - BUT letting the smoke out only happens one time.
AND recharging the batteries will be important too.

Do you know which one is feeding the truck with 12?
According to 34-2 Section Fig-D46-52, the 12V circuit for the truck comes from rh fr battery neg (NEG) and rh rr battery neg (POS) (where i have the NOCO charger hook up, 24V comes from rh fr neg (NEG) and RH rr pos (POS).. Which has added to my confusion..

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
According to 34-2 Section Fig-D46-52, the 12V circuit for the truck comes from rh fr battery neg (NEG) and rh rr battery neg (POS) (where i have the NOCO charger hook up, 24V comes from rh fr neg (NEG) and RH rr pos (POS).. Which has added to my confusion..
I agree that if you have the factory 4-Battery configuration, the right front is 12v on my truck. That is always the "suspect" battery too if I let it sit too long and doesn't want to turn over. Charger on that battery alone solves my problem.

One thought is that if you are running a high amp draw off that pair of 12's is how long will it last before the alternator - already marginal - isn't charging that 12v section enough to drag you up the hill?

I can't talk intelligently enough to say "yes, you should do this" but what about a battery equalizer to supply the 12v for the winch?

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am intrigued, how does the battery equalizer work, can it support the surge amps the winch might draw as infrequently as it might be needed without letting the smoke out.

I think we are keying in on the pitfalls of electrical winches verses the behemoth hyd winch. Thought is emergency extraction on a double pull, with infrequent use. If a more robust winching system would be needed, then alternatives would need to be looked at.

This is the real reason I went with the pricey Odyssey's over lead acid or alternatives, megga CCA/Ah.

Maybe I am over thinking this once again, going to try left front battery, NEG/POS for winch connection and see what happens.

Appreciate all the input and help..

Getting stuck without a winch sucks, been there with Reis, and it wasn't a good feeling

Last edited:

ramdough

I am intrigued, how does the battery equalizer work, can it support the surge amps the winch might draw as infrequently as it might be needed without letting the smoke out.

I think we are keying in on the pitfalls of electrical winches verses the behemoth hyd winch. Thought is emergency extraction on a double pull, with infrequent use. If a more robust winching system would be needed, then alternatives would need to be looked at.

This is the real reason I went with the pricey Odyssey's over lead acid or alternatives, megga CCA/Ah.

Maybe I am over thinking this once again, going to try left front battery, NEG/POS for winch connection and see what happens.

Appreciate all the input and help..

Getting stuck without a winch sucks, been there with Reis, and it wasn't a good feeling

From many posts it has been said the alternators are pretty weak on these trucks. Did you upgrade yours? If you have big batteries and are drawing them down, you probably will want one eventually.

I have a 100A equalizer. I would say it would not keep up with the winch draw, but neither will your alternator. Even a 200A alternator relies on the battery for the higher amp draws. What an equalizer would do is rebalance your batteries as you pause between winching and as you recharge your batteries. This may require longer pauses depending on how much winching you are doing. Any electric winch is probably not 100% duty cycle, so you are going to pause when loads get higher.

I opted to transplant a hydraulic winch because I did not want to tax my electrical system and I figured that if I get stuck…. I will want unlimited duty cycle. Also longer rope means I can reach further before I grab any extensions. I sacrificed a bunch of space, stair options, and weight for this capability.

YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From many posts it has been said the alternators are pretty weak on these trucks. Did you upgrade yours? If you have big batteries and are drawing them down, you probably will want one eventually.

I have a 100A equalizer. I would say it would not keep up with the winch draw, but neither will your alternator. Even a 200A alternator relies on the battery for the higher amp draws. What an equalizer would do is rebalance your batteries as you pause between winching and as you recharge your batteries. This may require longer pauses depending on how much winching you are doing. Any electric winch is probably not 100% duty cycle, so you are going to pause when loads get higher.

I opted to transplant a hydraulic winch because I did not want to tax my electrical system and I figured that if I get stuck…. I will want unlimited duty cycle. Also longer rope means I can reach further before I grab any extensions. I sacrificed a bunch of space, stair options, and weight for this capability.

YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, I have not yet upgraded the Alt-in the future plans..

Starting to understand what the equalizer does, still a little confused about how its wired from alt to batteries, and where is the best place to source 12V for the winch..

Duty cycle is important, and with an electrical winch, obviously duty cycle pause is going to be longer based on draw. I am just not at the point to pull trigger on hyd winch system.. but would love it.

coachgeo

IMHO dont run your winch on 12v. Your asking for trouble in battery imbalance that is going to cost you way more money in the long run.

Search the interwebs on how to run a 12v winch on 24v. Competitive offroaders do it cause it speeds up the line pull. Does not increase the pulling power..... just the speed. That said..... you have to let it cool more often. In our application the winch will be working its ass off cause these are not light as Jeeps..... so if you go this route..... pull little.... cool a little...... pull a little.... cool a little. Maybe even temporary set winch up on a 12v friends truck...... do some winching and let your hand learn how hot "normal" is.... so you can then keep it at or below that no matter how you set it up on your truck. Heck a hand held IR temp reader and you could from a distance keep an eye on heat of winch motor.

an idea ....... thru an step down converter from 24v to 12v.... maybe...... you could run the switching aspect of the solenoids (they are basically electrically powered giant on/off switches. A powered little elecromagnetic switch does the connecting of the incoming/outgoing main power.) .. Just have the 12v switching side of the solenoids connect instead 24v main power on/off to the winch motor. Don't think they make a step down converters that can handle the amp draws the winch motor would need ... but would think for the solenoids this might work.... but Im Sgt. Shultz....... I know nottthhhhhhhhingggggg....

BTW- this may be a better question in the generic FMTV forum than here where more eyes see it.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks