• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MV Addiction filled. Reis the Beast M1078A0 is born

coachgeo

intriguing indeed. somebody somewhere thought enough of the concept to make this possible. and then...

"
Integration of the HHV system into the M1078-A1R was completed and preliminary on-road
testing and vehicle shakedown was successful. The HHV was moved to the SwRI heavy duty
dynamometer for continued system shakedown and developmental testing. During
developmental testing, a hydraulic motor failure occurred. Although not catastrophic, the motor
could not be repaired to allow for final fuel economy testing to be completed.
"

oh well...
Unimog attempted a 6x6 with the final axle being hydraulic powered..... it actually went into production.... End result... to many hydraulic motor(?) failures. Not sure what they did for everyone who bought that model truck. Far as I know the whole idea has been scrapped since then.

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So doing some research on the rear cans..

Are Meritor X24-3276J-10 and Haldex 165406 interchangeable?

What about the Type 9 and Type 12 diaphragms interchangeable with DP09 and DP12 Haldex

Looking for some spares to have on the truck..

Some more research, thought I would post some part numbers as it doesn't seem to be widely talked about

0912 Brake Chamber Assembly

TM F137 I5
P# X24-3276J-10,

Possible alternative part numbers
-HDX0912006,
-0912006 HALDEX-available new specs look identical, Findit $422.00, 0912006 09/12 Double Diaphragm Wedge Rockwell 1.75" 44mm 6.4" 163mm 5.0" 127mm 4.8" 122mm 3.00" 7.8" 198mm 5.1/5.5" 130/140mm 9.3 lbs. 4.2 kg.

-OAL0912SB04R
-A11-3276-J-10

-From post on SS, member confirmed 41M001 Piggyback, possible alternative EUCLID E-PB0912
-Possible Piggy Back 0912001
Here is a parts breakdown on the piggy back20230102_114904.jpg

Have not confirmed, however NAPA carries the piggyback for 238$
0912001 Piggyback

General Specs:
Push Rod-Rockwell
Stroke-1.75
Tube Length-3
Service Chamber Type-9
Park Chamber Type-12

Pancake
-Service Haldex DP09 cross to Midland 200316 NSN 2530-01-227-4745 Berg 18090, Bendix 234433, Tectran 151-9 and many more
20221101_171531.jpg

-Park Haldex DP12 DP12M1D Haldex Pancake
Service Haldex cross to Midland N-20168 NSN 2530-00-430-2392 Alternative PN 013-004-007, Tectran 151-12, Haldex AD17544, EUCLID E-8889 and many more

20221130_173355.jpg

Still researching possible Service assembly Z65-3276-J-10.

Again, looking for options for stock..

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just so in case someone that hasnt fooled with airbrake watches that last spring brake video and not know the difference between spring brake can and parking brake can and get themselves killed taking that strap off without cageing the brake can

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Just so in case someone that hasnt fooled with airbrake watches that last spring brake video and not know the difference between spring brake can and parking brake can and get themselves killed taking that strap off without cageing the brake can
ABSOLUTELY!
You wanna die?
Just stick your face in front of that can - remove the band - without caging the spring brake chamber - and it is over!

Good video @chucky !

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can tell you from experience, mistakes can happen when you get in a rush.

Always treat a can like a loaded and cocked ready gun.. stay out trajectory, double, triple check and please, if you have no experience with cans, have someone else do it.

ALL mistakes could be final, and that isn't worth the 400 bucks. Great video Chucky. In my previous life, I was made to sit through many VHS/CD/DVD and even a 8mm before even thinking about putting wrench to nut.

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
\\MAIL CALL//

After extensive research I opted for this canvas outdoor material, 10$ a yards, appears to be very durable material and a perfect fit for my door panels.

Item# 013 Black Canvas Outdoor Fabric-possible source Fashion Fabrics LLC LINK
20221104_074034.jpg

I also updated the can section of my post above with the Type 9 pancake recd

Last edited:

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well after almost 1000 miles and a month in the woods, a few things to look at after return at 3am

60 miles out, a decline in charging found belts loose, attempted to repair, appears upper bolt may have sheared, need to get hood up to confirm..

Did several below freezing COLD STARTS-Engine, Batteries and equalizer are working flawlessly

Small oil leak from front area, a few drips off the cooler-need to determine origin

Received my replacement WEBOOST power cable, that burned up halfway through the trip and some aux lighting (52" Tri Row LED light bar)

Solar, DSL fired Heat, Propane Fired Hot Water (will convert to dsl fired someday), Solar refrigerator freezer worked perfectly

Predator generator developed an oil leak, need to tear down and see WTF is going on..

I finally got my DP12 brake pancakes, updated post on brake can information above. In process of looking for a HALDEX rebuild kits or at least a good part number break down of all the components of the 0912 Wedge Cans, anyone have.

Did find a nice catalog by merit or fragg..it has some component id.d for the 0912 can parts..will post later

Last edited:

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, got my greedy paws under the hood/cab/bonnet or whatever you want to call it, What I found with the alt. The upper mount single bolt was intact/tight (just like I left it), however the 2 bolts holding the L bracket to the side plate were gone. 1 of two things, I failed to tighten or I failed to tighten, either way, threads were clean, 2 new bolts and lock washers, tightened alternator/water pump belts and she is back in business.

Shake down run, volts hovered right around mid to low side green, 12V side 13.6 at idle, I didn't check 24V

Class 1 minor around front seal, and minor at the compressor 90 degree oil line fitting--front seal-gona run it..if it gets worse, will order another front seal. oil line, removed line, and fitting, thread tapped the 90, compound the line fitting.

Heading back out to Highland County Va for the last 2 days of Rifle, PEACE OUT

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey all, had to come out the woods, prep for holidays. Reis and accoutrements functioned very well

Had a blast..dsl heater was a life saver

Even sub zero..set at 15c..she keeps the shelter at a toasty 20c at low and only 1amp draw..

Heading back out to BIVWAC after X-mas until the 7th Jan.

20221218_170755.jpg20221203_145117.jpg

Last edited:

coachgeo

Hey all, had to come out the woods, prep for holidays. Reis and accoutrements functioned very well

Had a blast..dsl heater was a life saver

Even sub zero..set at 15c..she keeps the shelter at a toasty 20c at low and only 1amp draw..

Heading back out to BIVWAC after X-mas until the 7th Jan.

View attachment 886709View attachment 886710
what are you pointing out on the tree?

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey all, hope things are well.. Wanted to pass on a VA DMV success story.

After spending $350 a year for truck registration, I decided to go Antique.

PRO's
-50$ one time perm tags
-no property tax,
-no state inspection
-If and when I decide I need to go unrestricted, a simple appointment with DMV to get regular tags, get it inspected and back full up (In the future I may go RV tag-but that brings on a new set of storage/parking restrictions)

CON's
-275 mile limit (no big deal for now)
-restricted to events, pleasure, road test, exercise, (you cant drive back and forth to work and you must have a vehicle in the registration system that is your primary)
-No personalized plates

I want to say this, DMV Roanoke rocked it this go.. Made appointment on line, arrived 10 min early, as I walked in door, i get text, "proceed to gate A18" I presented title to LMTV and in 7 minutes I am walking out of the DMV with my Temp Antique tags. 2 days later, the perm antique tag was in the mailbox. My faith in the DMV was bumped up a few notches this go....

Third From Texas

Hey all, hope things are well.. Wanted to pass on a VA DMV success story.

After spending $350 a year for truck registration, I decided to go Antique.

PRO's
-50$ one time perm tags
-no property tax,
-no state inspection
-If and when I decide I need to go unrestricted, a simple appointment with DMV to get regular tags, get it inspected and back full up (In the future I may go RV tag-but that brings on a new set of storage/parking restrictions)

CON's
-275 mile limit (no big deal for now)
-restricted to events, pleasure, road test, exercise, (you cant drive back and forth to work and you must have a vehicle in the registration system that is your primary)
-No personalized plates

I want to say this, DMV Roanoke rocked it this go.. Made appointment on line, arrived 10 min early, as I walked in door, i get text, "proceed to gate A18" I presented title to LMTV and in 7 minutes I am walking out of the DMV with my Temp Antique tags. 2 days later, the perm antique tag was in the mailbox. My faith in the DMV was bumped up a few notches this go....
That's how it's down down in these parts. Same $50 but the plates are only good for 5 yrs. No inspection, no mileage restrictions (from the state; my insurance has an annual limit but no record of my mileage was ever inquired).

You have a choice of plates that say "Military Vehicle" (which always puzzles the crap outta the public) or painting on the previous military unit number and using that. No vanity plates as the "Military Vehicle" plate is considered such.

Every place I go I put up up my flags and answer public questions, so it's always "an event".

Maddog Driver

That's how it's down down in these parts. Same $50 but the plates are only good for 5 yrs. No inspection, no mileage restrictions (from the state; my insurance has an annual limit but no record of my mileage was ever inquired).

You have a choice of plates that say "Military Vehicle" (which always puzzles the crap outta the public) or painting on the previous military unit number and using that. No vanity plates as the "Military Vehicle" plate is considered such.

Every place I go I put up up my flags and answer public questions, so it's always "an event".
GA requires a commercial 26K tag,but fees aren't too bad.
Question on winch power...I got a Sherpa 25k winch wired for 24v, still trying to cipher a physical attachment to the front and/or rear shackle lugs ala towbar with power from the NATO coax. I am using the stock 6P battery setup...what are the odds it would work ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks