• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1971 Am General m109a3 RV build

archmark

Thank you for the compliment!

You could do that but diamond plate would be expensive with the rhinoliner. But it could be doable. It might not be comfortable to walk on with bare feet. As long as the floor is sealed up nicely with paint and the Mats protect the wood, it should be ok. It would be up to you what you want.
Sounds like the way to go. Thanks for the info...

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you have the outside bead/soda blasted or just hand sanded? What primer did you use, with an airless?
I used an orbital sander for the hood, doors, outside of box. I didn't need to soda blast at all luckily. On the frame and underside of box I used a wire wheel to take off all the rust and old paint. On areas when using bedliner, I didn't smooth the surface. The bedliner will fill imperfections in the paint so as long as you get rid of the old stuff, bedliner will stick. I used alot of rusteloum primer in cans because of ease of applying in tight areas. Always has worked well for me. When I paint larger surfaces I used an electric hlvp sprayer or rattle cans.

archmark

I used an orbital sander for the hood, doors, outside of box. I didn't need to soda blast at all luckily. On the frame and underside of box I used a wire wheel to take off all the rust and old paint. On areas when using bedliner, I didn't smooth the surface. The bedliner will fill imperfections in the paint so as long as you get rid of the old stuff, bedliner will stick. I used alot of rusteloum primer in cans because of ease of applying in tight areas. Always has worked well for me. When I paint larger surfaces I used an electric hlvp sprayer or rattle cans.
Thanks for the info. All your hard work is sure paying off in a fantastic build!!!

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info. All your hard work is sure paying off in a fantastic build!!!
Thank you! I appreciate your kind words. Plan is to finish up the inside and get one last coat of paint on the van box outside and install the pyrometer. Then I gotta paint the trailer to match. More photos soon!

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tons of progress made since last update. I finished up the floor and got the table, two cabinets and two leather recliners, air mattress and fridge inside the truck. I I got the last coat of paint on the outside of the box as well and installed the new reflectors on the truck. I painted the gladhands on the truck, and installed the pyro meter. I wired the gauges under the dash to #27 wire going to the power switch on the dash and they work great. Today I got the truck dialed in with dad with the fuel. Bypassing the fdc made this truck Smokey! After turning it down a bit the truck runs great. Temps don't climb above 1000 degrees and it pulls the same hills as the cargo truck with more weight. Very pleased. I decided to setup the air mattress and found that the mattress needs to go to the front of the box followed by the recliners. The recliners will be moved depending on whether I'm using the mattress or not. Gives me options on the floor plan rather than having a constant permanent mattress. Plan is now to finish up painting the trailer, make a license plate frame, make the radio mount for the cab and then test drive the whole rig on the road to see how it handles. Hope to go to a car show by the end of the month to show off the hard work.

Attachments

Last edited:

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are the rest of the photos to go with the last post. Photos of the truck were on a drive today with adjusting the fuel.

Attachments

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How's the ride and noise level with those new tires?
No issues whatsoever. People have told me that the m109s have a harmonic vibration when driving that feels like a tire is out of balance. I had that issue driving it home. The new tires don't have that at all.

archmark

No issues whatsoever. People have told me that the m109s have a harmonic vibration when driving that feels like a tire is out of balance. I had that issue driving it home. The new tires don't have that at all.
In addition to the new tubes, were new flaps also required? I also noticed that the Power Kings come in a 10.00R20 size also. In your opinion is that little increase in size worth the extra $$$? Thanks...

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In addition to the new tubes, were new flaps also required? I also noticed that the Power Kings come in a 10.00R20 size also. In your opinion is that little increase in size worth the extra $$$? Thanks...
The tires came with new flaps and I bought brand new tubes. I think the 10r20s would be a good choice if you want a little bit more speed at top end. I wanted all the power I could get towing a m105a2 w/shelter on top of a heavy m109a3 to begin with. So I chose the 9r20s. Also because if there is a flat with the trailer the size is the same.

If I had a cargo truck id go 10r20 or 11r20. I have g177s but for what people want for used g177s I could buy brand new 10r20s. Either way up to you.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well my parents, girlfriend and myself decided to go to Gettysburg with the trucks at stay at a campground. We took the 109 out on it's first long voyage. Almost 210 miles one way. Didn't miss a beat. Before the trip I had to replace the transfercase because there was alot of metal in it when changing the fluid. Looks like the military used motor oil instead of gear oil and who knows how long it was like that. Needless to say the new transfercase worked well. Got the rt-524 hooked up inside and working for communications with our other trucks. The first trip was a success. It def showed me I will be doing a different layout inside the truck. Learned alot and will continue to add some modifications to the inside.

Truck did great coming home. No problems. The truck ran flawless. The following are some photos on the way down, at the campsite, and coming home with a chase vehicle following.

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well my parents, girlfriend and myself decided to go to Gettysburg with the trucks at stay at a campground. We took the 109 out on it's first long voyage. Almost 210 miles one way. Didn't miss a beat. Before the trip I had to replace the transfercase because there was alot of metal in it when changing the fluid. Looks like the military used motor oil instead of gear oil and who knows how long it was like that. Needless to say the new transfercase worked well. Got the rt-524 hooked up inside and working for communications with our other trucks. The first trip was a success. It def showed me I will be doing a different layout inside the truck. Learned alot and will continue to add some modifications to the inside.

Truck did great coming home. No problems. The truck ran flawless. The following are some photos on the way down, at the campsite, and coming home with a chase vehicle following.
Thanks for the post and pics.

Gettysburg is a place every American should visit at least once. And, at this time of year the foliage is spectacular.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it's the first 70+ degree day with sunshine for the year so it's time to get something done on the rv.
I mounted up 2 brand new led trucklite floodlights. Wired them to the headlights and they turn on automatically when using low beam. Might get a set in the future that wire to the high beam and place them in the center. Very easy install. The bracket for the floodlights are heavy duty and they take the same 1/2" bolt to fit through the bumper. Very pleased with results. Will get some photos tonight of the light.

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They look good! Hereabouts one would risk a ticket if the additional flood lights did not turn off. They definitely need to have their own switch. The light pattern on the headlight looks sharp. Very nice.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They look good! Hereabouts one would risk a ticket if the additional flood lights did not turn off. They definitely need to have their own switch. The light pattern on the headlight looks sharp. Very nice.
The fogs are tilted quite a but. I'll look tonight and see if they appear blinding or not. I might throw a switch in eventually.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I Installed my nos air compressor filter and gasket. Also changed my coolant filter and after 500 miles the inside of the filter was mud! Glad I changed it. I'll continue changing it every 500 miles. See how much crap I can get out of the block.

Earlier in the week I changed my 9r20 ndt and put power king super traction HD 9r20s on the m105a2 to match the truck.

I also added some tire covers on the tires to keep the uv light off the brand new rubber. Got enough for the trailer as well. Gotta change the fuel filters and tighten the belts and the truck should be good for the 2021 season. Working on the inside of the box. Will show the updates of the inside soon.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks